Elena Rizova
Elena Rizova
North Macedonia
Local time: 11:38
Italian to Macedonian
+ ...
Mar 13, 2009

Dear conference organizers,

I did some researches through the past conferences of Proz and I noticed that there was an option with a membership included in the conference fees, which is not case here, and it seems that in the past, you provided much bigger choice to the translators who wished to attend Proz events.
Just as an example, I checked the conference in Krakow, there were many interesting options and separate prices for the translators - re
... See more
Dear conference organizers,

I did some researches through the past conferences of Proz and I noticed that there was an option with a membership included in the conference fees, which is not case here, and it seems that in the past, you provided much bigger choice to the translators who wished to attend Proz events.
Just as an example, I checked the conference in Krakow, there were many interesting options and separate prices for the translators - residents of Poland and for translators from other countries, which would be very useful for us if you offer this option here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thing the prices for holding a conference in some European country and in some other country where the standard and the costs of living are lower, it can’t be the same.

What I'm trying to say is, the average monthly net-wage here in Macedonia is eur 280,00, and we have similar situation in all the neighboring countries, many translators from Macedonia , Serbia , Albania , will not be able, more precisely could not afford to come at the conference because of financial problems. Please, don't get me wrong, this is my opinion and suggestion to reconsider and chance to give more translators opportunity to be present at such a big event.

Not to be too explicit, I give the sample of Krakow offer and remind you what Magda as an organizer did in the conference in Krakow :

Residents of Poland : Fee: PLN 460 -40 (discount for platinum members) = PLN 420 – 91,00 eur (+22% VAT-111 eur) Residents of other countries: Fee: EUR 115 -10 – 105 eur (discount for Platinum members) = EUR 105 (+22% VAT-128 eur) * The conference fee includes two days of sessions, lectures and workshops, coffee and lunches served during breaks and Friday night networking dinner. Early booking: A discount is available to all participants booking before the 30th September. Also, a further discount is granted to all Platinum members (including Partial Platinum). The two discounts (Platinum and Early booking) can be cumulated. * Participants who do not have EU VAT IDs must add 22% for VAT. Combination: Conference and Platinum Membership It is possible to purchase conference attendance and ProZ.com platinum membership simultaneously, at a combined price that represents a discount from what would be paid to purchase one after the other. For residents of Poland: PLN620-134 eur (420 conference fee + 250 one year full platinum – 54 eur - 50 discount) or with browniz PLN570-123 eur (420 conference fee + 200 one year full platinum – 43 eur + 4000 browniz points - 50 discount) For residents of other countries: EUR165 (95 conference fee + 100 one year full platinum - 30 discount) or with browniz: EUR145 (95 conference fee + 80 one year full platinum + 4000 browniz - 30 discount).

It seems that the conference in Budapest was also richer with options and possibilities and there was also an option for buying a membership at a discounted price, I noticed that on some regional conferences too. My point is, I’m sure you’ll agree that making more possibilities, you will attract more participants and you’ll help a lot of translators to attend the conference, and the conference in Macedonia will be a big, successful conference. I hope you understand me and will take this suggestion into account.

Regards,
Elena

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-06-15 20:15 GMT]
Collapse

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Strive to strike a balance Mar 13, 2009

Thanks for the note Elana. We do strive to strike a balance between affordability as well as offering high profile sessions. You are right that the price point for many commodities is adjusted to account for local cost of living. I am not sure if we can achieve that with this conference as Hristina has put together a really great program that includes some meals, transportation and accommodations so the fixed costs for this event in Ohrid are a bit more than our normal events.

Re
... See more
Thanks for the note Elana. We do strive to strike a balance between affordability as well as offering high profile sessions. You are right that the price point for many commodities is adjusted to account for local cost of living. I am not sure if we can achieve that with this conference as Hristina has put together a really great program that includes some meals, transportation and accommodations so the fixed costs for this event in Ohrid are a bit more than our normal events.

Regarding membership inclusion we can look in to offering some combination of membership and conference attendance.

Thanks, and hope we can see you in Ohrid in July

Drew
Collapse

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
English to French
+ ...
Conference-only package Mar 13, 2009

Dear Elana,

Thank you for your interest in the Ohrid Conference!
May I add that we created a special package that excludes accommodation - the 'conference-only' package - and that this Conference offers a particular high amount of options.

It includes Friday night opening dinner, full conference attendance, Saturday night gala dinner and both lunches on Saturday and Sunday. This package is available on the Conference page along with the all-inclusive.

... See more
Dear Elana,

Thank you for your interest in the Ohrid Conference!
May I add that we created a special package that excludes accommodation - the 'conference-only' package - and that this Conference offers a particular high amount of options.

It includes Friday night opening dinner, full conference attendance, Saturday night gala dinner and both lunches on Saturday and Sunday. This package is available on the Conference page along with the all-inclusive.

Also, as you may have noticed, there's a call for speakers for a Cat-Tools roundtable - you can get free membership by participating. Let me know if you're interested!

Looking forward to meet you in Ohrid!

Regards,
Anne
Collapse

Rodna Ruskovska
Rodna Ruskovska  Identity Verified
North Macedonia
Macedonian to English
+ ...
Trados training session(s) and conference package Mar 13, 2009

Hi,

How about a special package for members that would like to attend the Trados training sessions?

I, for one, am interested in those training sessions and I am also interested in the conference. However, I don't think it is realistic to pay the amount of money that you are asking for - 130 EUR per session (if I want to attend both sessions) - that's 260 EUR and the fee for the conference of 195 EUR - t
... See more
Hi,

How about a special package for members that would like to attend the Trados training sessions?

I, for one, am interested in those training sessions and I am also interested in the conference. However, I don't think it is realistic to pay the amount of money that you are asking for - 130 EUR per session (if I want to attend both sessions) - that's 260 EUR and the fee for the conference of 195 EUR - that's 450 EUR (without accommodation and transportation fees).

Frankly, I was expecting the Trados training sessions to be a part of the conference as I really find it to be the most appealing part of the whole event. The rest of the programme is quite interesting too but not 300 EUR (this amount is an estimate of my costs for those three days) interesting

As things are now - people would really have to choose whether to participate in the Trados session(s) or the conference.

Maybe it would also be nice to consider a Trados training package for those wishing to attend both sessions.

And the discount for members, 10 EUR difference for all events is also something that caught my eye. Is it meant to be that symbolic?

Please consider lowering the fees for everyone and especially for Macedonian citizens. I really think you should do that because it will be very strange to have a conference in Macedonia without Macedonians:) There should definitely be two prices!!!

Since you brought it up yourselves, could you please explain what this event in Ohrid offers more than the programme in Krakow? And why there can only be one fee for this event? From what I can see the Krakow conference offers workshops, lunches, coffee and 2 days of sessions, workshops, lectures which is half a day more than the Ohrid conference for 84 EUR less.... Not to mention the special fee for Polish attendees... again

I want this event to succeed and that is why I hope my comments will help you. Of course, I also hope that you will consider them carefully

Sincerely,

Rodna
Collapse

Elena Rizova
Elena Rizova
North Macedonia
Italian to Macedonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 14, 2009

Dear Drew and Anne,

First, I would like to thank you for your replies. I hope they refer to my post, since I am Elena, not Elana. However, I guess both of you just misspelled my name, so it’s ok

Secondly, for surely I first visited the conference page and saw what is included in it (like the conference-package and the all-inclusive packag
... See more
Dear Drew and Anne,

First, I would like to thank you for your replies. I hope they refer to my post, since I am Elena, not Elana. However, I guess both of you just misspelled my name, so it’s ok

Secondly, for surely I first visited the conference page and saw what is included in it (like the conference-package and the all-inclusive package) and after that I posted my comments, so it means Anne, I was already aware of the options, thanks for your proposal too, I just couldn’t find the information that if you participate to the roundtable, you can get some membership. Anyway, I’m not a convinced user of the rest of the CAT-tools and whatever it is, my intention was all the translators who would like to attend the conference to get some benefits (like lower prices and more options or memberships), and it was not my intention to speak only for myself and to gain some benefits only for myself.

Also I agree with Rodna about the following: "Please consider lowering the fees for everyone and especially for Macedonian citizens. I really think you should do that because it will be very strange to have a conference in Macedonia without Macedonians There should definitely be two prices!!!"

Looking forward to see you in Ohrid!

Elena
Collapse

Gabriela Breslieva
Gabriela Breslieva  Identity Verified
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Support Mar 14, 2009

Dear Elena

I totally agree with you and with each and every of your opinion and statements. I'm interested in visiting the conference, but to be honest, if someone would like to attend the whole conference, should give eur 580, and I think you all will agree with me that that amount is not so negligible compared to salaries and prices in our country. The offer and organization of the forum are great, but we also must have in mind the other aspects-like finances and the living condit
... See more
Dear Elena

I totally agree with you and with each and every of your opinion and statements. I'm interested in visiting the conference, but to be honest, if someone would like to attend the whole conference, should give eur 580, and I think you all will agree with me that that amount is not so negligible compared to salaries and prices in our country. The offer and organization of the forum are great, but we also must have in mind the other aspects-like finances and the living conditions here in Macedonia and in our neighborhood.
Everything else was said in your and Rodna's letter, so you have my support and hope to see you in Ohrid, hope to see more Macedonians and people from everywhere but with changed prices...

Looking forward to meeting you all in Ohrid

Gabi
Collapse

Gabriela Nikolova
Gabriela Nikolova  Identity Verified
North Macedonia
English to Macedonian
+ ...
More options and prices Mar 16, 2009

Dear colleagues,

my intention was all the translators who would like to attend the conference to get some benefits (like lower prices and more options or memberships), and it was not my intention to speak only for myself and to gain some benefits only for myself.

Elena, this is very kind of you and if we all think as you, things would be better.
I fully support your opinion and agree with your remarks.

I am not sure if we can achieve that with this conference as Hristina has put together a really great program that includes some meals, transportation and accommodations

Yes, I'm sure you can. Hristina is doing her very best and we are all very happy that such an event is being organized in our country. She knows she has our full support.

However, it is probably Proz that has the last word, so I think that Proz should help her offer her best to the translators who would like to attend the conference. By that I mean:

- reconsider once again the prices

- reconsider the options given to the attendees, (meaning special discounts, membership included) and

- give more options to choose from and one-day passes (looking through your future and past conferences with similar and some more ambitious programmes, I noticed that it is your practice to offer one-day passes).

It would be my pleasure to see as many as possible translators in the conference in Ohrid, because your success is our success. That is why I am contributing with some suggestions and I am really hoping that you will honor us with a reply soon.

See you in Ohrid,
Gabriela

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
English to French
+ ...
Conference fees and prices Mar 17, 2009

Dear all,

Thank you for your interest in the Conference. I heard your concerns but I'm sorry to say that we can't give a positive response to your requests.

This is not a question of willing, it's a question of being able to.

Let me clarify some points: the Conference does NOT cost 300 EUR. The Conference itself costs 190 EUR.
The 300 EUR package is all-inclusive because of accommodation. For 300 EUR we offer a whole weekend, with full accommodation i
... See more
Dear all,

Thank you for your interest in the Conference. I heard your concerns but I'm sorry to say that we can't give a positive response to your requests.

This is not a question of willing, it's a question of being able to.

Let me clarify some points: the Conference does NOT cost 300 EUR. The Conference itself costs 190 EUR.
The 300 EUR package is all-inclusive because of accommodation. For 300 EUR we offer a whole weekend, with full accommodation in a high-quality resort, all meals, coffee breaks, dinner and the 10th anniversary Gala Dinner included, plus the full conference attendance. Come on, this is cheap.
300 EUR is what you would pay in some other industry events, and that just for 1 day, 4 sessions, and no meals nor breaks. I've been to such events, so this is not a legend. ProZ.com Conferences are always amongst the cheapest events in the translation industry.

The 190 EUR includes EVERYTHING but not accommodation (that is no hotel nights and minus 2 breakfasts) but it still includes the full conference attendance, all lunches, all coffee breaks, dinner and Gala Dinner.

To be perfectly transparent - the Conference has high costs. We do not charge X EUR because we want to. We charge X EUR because we have to. Such a big event has heavy costs, I do not expect you to know it in details, but at least to understand it. Please realize that there is a heavy logistic and that there are high staff needs behind such an event. Many, many people are working very hard in the shadow to ensure you have a fantastic conference. This people deserve to be paid, don't they? Without going into details, please just realize that such a big event, with all the small details that actually matter, well, it has a cost.

Despite this high costs for us, we did everything we could to keep the fees as low as possible - the fees should have been really higher than 200 EUR. We kept them as low as we could. We can't have them lower than that.

Neither can I make a discount for locals. As previously said, the fees are already as low as possible. If we make a discount for Macedonians, there's no reasons we shouldn't then make another for other countries. And then? We will end up with 100 pricing, one per country? Let's be realistic. Times are very hard in Western Europe too - some people have been saving money for weeks just to be there. Just the flight will cost them a fortune. And they are really really happy about the Conference fees, because it is very cheap.

Finally, regarding Memberships - sorry about that, we should have made a clear announcement on this matter. We do not grant memberships with Conferences anymore. This decision is part of our new policies regarding Conferences.

Again, I would like you to know that I really do understand your points and would like to thank you for being so passionate about this event. Really, I mean it. But please understand our point of view just as we understand yours and realize that in order to give you the best event possible, we have heavy costs and needs, and that - considering those costs and needs - the current fees are already exceptionally low.

Again, I'm really sorry to say so but there's not much I can do, unfortunately. Please keep track of the forum as we may post information regarding financial support from local associations.

Sincerely,

Anne
Collapse

Elena Rizova
Elena Rizova
North Macedonia
Italian to Macedonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hope that a solution will be found Mar 17, 2009

Dear Anne,

I am aware that everyone gives the best so this conference will be at a high level and from my experience, I am sure that many people are working very hard.

Of course, these people have to be paid. As I already have mentioned, my intention was to allow more translators (members and non-members of Proz.com) to be able to come and make the conference the biggest event up to now. Still, thank you for your reply and I hope that more Macedonian translators will m
... See more
Dear Anne,

I am aware that everyone gives the best so this conference will be at a high level and from my experience, I am sure that many people are working very hard.

Of course, these people have to be paid. As I already have mentioned, my intention was to allow more translators (members and non-members of Proz.com) to be able to come and make the conference the biggest event up to now. Still, thank you for your reply and I hope that more Macedonian translators will manage to come, despite the conditions and prices you offered already.

Thank you,

Elena
Collapse

Rodna Ruskovska
North Macedonia
Macedonian to English
+ ...
Daily passes? Mar 19, 2009

Hi Anne,

how about offering daily passes and a discount for people wishing to attend the two Trados training sessions? You never commented that.

I appreciate all your efforts, would really appreciate more options too

And I was really just wondering - the two different prices (for nationals and internationals) were never a problem for the Krakow conference, why would they be for the Ohrid co
... See more
Hi Anne,

how about offering daily passes and a discount for people wishing to attend the two Trados training sessions? You never commented that.

And I was really just wondering - the two different prices (for nationals and internationals) were never a problem for the Krakow conference, why would they be for the Ohrid conference?

Wishing you a lovely day,
Rodna
Collapse

Hristina Dojčinova
Hristina Dojčinova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:38
English to Macedonian
+ ...
One-day passes will be available Mar 19, 2009

Dear All,

I was expecting this sort of reaction immediately after the fees for the conference in Ohrid were made public. You would imagine that I am perfectly aware of all the circumstances contained on the thread thereof, regarding the situation in Macedonia, and the average salary and the importance of massive attendance of the conference on the one hand, but also ensuring a high level quality of the conference content on the other hand.

At this point, allow me to inf
... See more
Dear All,

I was expecting this sort of reaction immediately after the fees for the conference in Ohrid were made public. You would imagine that I am perfectly aware of all the circumstances contained on the thread thereof, regarding the situation in Macedonia, and the average salary and the importance of massive attendance of the conference on the one hand, but also ensuring a high level quality of the conference content on the other hand.

At this point, allow me to inform you that ProZ and I are presently working on establishing the fees for a one-day pass to be made available for the two conference days. I appreciate your patience in this regard; I would be more than pleased to see that everybody’s request is answered in the best possible manner, and to meet all the people writing here on the forum in person in Ohrid!

Best regards,
Hristina
Collapse

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
English to French
+ ...
Daily passes and other Mar 19, 2009

Rodna Ruskovska wrote:

Hi Anne,

And I was really just wondering - the two different prices (for nationals and internationals) were never a problem for the Krakow conference, why would they be for the Ohrid conference?

Wishing you a lovely day,
Rodna

Hi Rodna,

Hristina and I agreed to make one-day passes, as she stated in her previous post. We'll create them in the coming days and will let you know once they are available.

Regarding Training sessions, I cannot comment on that as I am not in charge of ProZ.com Trainings. I will forward your request to Soledad, our Trainings Coordinator and she will see what she can do.

Regarding locals/non-locals prices, we cannot compare Conferences, particularly with 4 years difference - our internal processes re. Conferences as well as our policies changed a lot since then. Again, we cannot make a discount for locals, that applies to all International Conferences - this has been decided jointly with all parties, that is organizers and ProZ.com.

Have a nice day!
Regards,
Anne

Kristina Kolic
Kristina Kolic  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Discount for registering to both Trados training sessions? Mar 19, 2009

Rodna Ruskovska wrote:
a discount for people wishing to attend the two Trados training sessions? You never commented that.

This would indeed be interesting.

Rodna Ruskovska
North Macedonia
Macedonian to English
+ ...
...a bit more on the suggestion regarding the Trados training sessions dicount Mar 19, 2009

Hi

nice to hear about some positive changes (the one-day passes), wonderful feeling that some suggestions have not only been heard but accepted as well. Well done!!

Regarding the discount I mentioned for those attending both Trados training sessions, I am suggesting not only those attending both sessions should get a discount, but also those attending the training sessions or just one training session a
... See more
Hi

nice to hear about some positive changes (the one-day passes), wonderful feeling that some suggestions have not only been heard but accepted as well. Well done!!

Regarding the discount I mentioned for those attending both Trados training sessions, I am suggesting not only those attending both sessions should get a discount, but also those attending the training sessions or just one training session and the conference as well. So - a discount if someone attends both sessions and a discount if someone attends a training session and the conference or a conference day (a one-day pass). That is why I though that you might have an answer Anne and also thank you for forwarding my suggestion to the person responsible for the training sessions.

It would be very nice if you could offer such combinations as well.

And also, being a vegan - I would very much like to know if the needs of attendees with various diets are going to be taken care of. From my experience it is best to just give the hotels very specific instructions (exact menu suggestions for each meal). The best would be to have two dishes to choose from - regular (meat, dairy products etc.) and vegan.

I am sure other people are interested to know this as well.

Thank you...

All the best

Rodna
Collapse

Anne Diamantidis
Germany
English to French
+ ...
trainings and diets Mar 19, 2009

Rodna Ruskovska wrote:

That is why I though that you might have an answer Anne and also thank you for forwarding my suggestion to the person responsible for the training sessions.

Hi again Rodna,
Sorry, as you said both training sessions only I could not reply on this as this is not my business unit, hence not my decision. I just talked to Soledad and there will be a discount for people who attend both days of training sessions. Soledad is going to post more details later today.

Regarding Training+Conference package, you imagine that we already thought of that long ago but the Conference prices being already as low as possible, we cannot grant further discount, so there will not be any Trainings+Conference discount package.

And also, being a vegan - I would very much like to know if the needs of attendees with various diets are going to be taken care of. From my experience it is best to just give the hotels very specific instructions (exact menu suggestions for each meal). The best would be to have two dishes to choose from - regular (meat, dairy products etc.) and vegan.

Of course there will be options to suit diet needs...

Regards,
Anne

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Ohrid conference 2009 - Conference fee

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »