Off topic: Ohrid conference 2009 - Gala Dinner - Dress Mode
Thread poster: Peter Cox

Peter Cox  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:32
Member (2001)
Italian to English
Jun 14, 2009

Previous conferences that I have attended have been informal dress. In view of the Gala Dinner will suits/long dresses be required?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-06-15 20:36 GMT]

Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:32
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Hope not!!! Jun 14, 2009

I'd hate to see ProZ.com get-togethers turn into a black-and-white (at least with respect to men's outfit) events...

Hristina Dojčinova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:32
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Black tie...please :) Jun 14, 2009

Hello Peter - thank you for raising this question. It's not like it's a crucial one, but still…The Gala dinner is envisaged as a formal dinner to celebrate the anniversary...and it would be really nice and I will be truly appreciative if we give it a bit of a formal tone.
So - my answer (to Oleg's discontent) is - please bring your tuxedos and formal dresses (the ones you ladies rarely get to wear, they do not necessarily need to be longicon_smile.gif ) - just for the Gala dinner. As for the remaining activities, you can choose to wear less formal clothes.

Thank you!!

Best regards,

Hristina

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not attending, but... Jun 15, 2009

Hristina Dojčinova wrote:
So - my answer (to Oleg's discontent) is - please bring your tuxedos and formal dresses (the ones you ladies rarely get to wear, they do not necessarily need to be longicon_smile.gif ) - just for the Gala dinner. As for the remaining activities, you can choose to wear less formal clothes.

If I had had a chance to attend the conference (for instance if and when it takes place in central Spain), this would have puzzled me a lot. Do you mean an actual tuxedo and bow tie or a suit? An actual tuxedo sounds a bit exaggerated to me... :-/

Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:32
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
My goodness! Jun 15, 2009

Hristina Dojčinova wrote:The Gala dinner is envisaged as a formal dinner to celebrate the anniversary...and it would be really nice and I will be truly appreciative if we give it a bit of a formal tone.

The last time I wore a tie was at my marriage ceremony 25 years ago...
Frankly, one of the things I like most about ProZ.com is its informality despite all the serious things it does, is associated with and brings about. The formal dress code - even if recommended, not obligatory - will not put us at ease but rather add stiffness to the event. But that's my personal opinion will try to look as decent as possibleicon_smile.gif

Hristina Dojčinova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:32
English to Macedonian
+ ...
!Correction! :) Jun 17, 2009

Dear all,

There is no need to worryicon_smile.gif

What I actually meant was a suit (for the BoyZ) and a bit of a formal outfit for the GirlZ - and as I already said, you do not need to bring along your long ball dresses.

The dress code, in this case, is not a rule! Just a kind recommendationicon_smile.gif feel free to make your choice!

See you in Ohrid in a couple of weeks!

Hristina

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:32
Italian to English
Rethink Jun 25, 2009

Well, I had had planned to travel with hand luggage only to avoid to all too frequent problems of lost luggage with interconnecting flights (none direct from UK) - and to take advantage of Macedonian Summer temperatures. That's blown those plans.
Mind you, I wonder how many attendees will have seen this thread; I only found it by accident. We could be the odd ones out!
Do many freelancers actually own a suit? Why would they need one?

[Edited at 2009-06-25 22:38 GMT]

Maria Dolors Gonzálvez Playà  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Dress Code Jun 25, 2009

Hi Russell,

I decided I'll try not to look too shabby (if that's ever possible...) and that's it. I'm afraid it will have to be that way for me...icon_smile.gif

First I never wear fancy and second I don't have anything of the sort and don't have the time either to try to get something, so it will just have to work like that.

Anyway that's what I gathered from Hristina's words:

"The dress code, in this case, is not a rule! Just a kind recommendation feel free to make your choice!"

And so I felt free to make my own choiceicon_smile.gif
I'm afraid I wouldn't have much class either just by wearing a dress or stuff, because to me that's like dressing up and therefore I'd feel very akward and uncomfy. Fine for everybody else that wants to dress up, but don't count me in!icon_smile.gif

Regards,
DOLLY

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Ohrid conference 2009 - Gala Dinner - Dress Mode

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search