what does it take to get 0 KudoZ points and 300 Brownies?
Thread poster: Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 15:03
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jun 26, 2008

Huh?!

Let me explain: I just had a mass mail from some agent NN looking for fresh blood. High expectations, money evidently no object, because they did care to mention it. Now what got me really attracted to this agent , was their 12month LWA of 3,5. A trail of broken hopes and hearts, deadlines and promises never kept by those blood sucking freelancers?

What I found out was a trail of 1s and 2s AND a trail of high fives, the latter all coming from people with 0 Kud
... See more
Huh?!

Let me explain: I just had a mass mail from some agent NN looking for fresh blood. High expectations, money evidently no object, because they did care to mention it. Now what got me really attracted to this agent , was their 12month LWA of 3,5. A trail of broken hopes and hearts, deadlines and promises never kept by those blood sucking freelancers?

What I found out was a trail of 1s and 2s AND a trail of high fives, the latter all coming from people with 0 KudoZ points and 300 Brownies(all kinds of people, with fancy names, fancier than Alice, Bob, Carol, but just barely ...)

So I hope you would agree, that my question above is warranted. And of course, the next question (the last question for tonight): what kind of people are this, where are they? Done one job for NN, earning the agency a great five and then "ProZ, bye for ever"?

Switching to straight words (addressed to NN and their kind): You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2008-06-26 19:25]
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 16:03
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
We are aware of that Jun 26, 2008

Hi Vito,

ProZ mods are highly aware of like cases. However, if we do not have a concrete evidence of fraud (and we DO check), we can not take any action.

OTOH, say, there are recent cases when banned outsourcer just receives a barrage of "fives". In this case the ban on Proz stays even there are 100 "fives" in a row- and the ban will stay here until all non-payment claims are settled.

As to low BB averages - it is up to individual service providers to decid
... See more
Hi Vito,

ProZ mods are highly aware of like cases. However, if we do not have a concrete evidence of fraud (and we DO check), we can not take any action.

OTOH, say, there are recent cases when banned outsourcer just receives a barrage of "fives". In this case the ban on Proz stays even there are 100 "fives" in a row- and the ban will stay here until all non-payment claims are settled.

As to low BB averages - it is up to individual service providers to decide- you have been informed...

Uldis

Vito Smolej wrote:

Huh?!

What I found out was a trail of 1s and 2s AND a trail of high fives, the latter all coming from people with 0 KudoZ points and 300 Brownies(all kinds of people, with fancy names, fancier than Alice, Bob, Carol, but just barely ...)

So I hope you would agree, that my question above is warranted. And of course, the next question (the last question for tonight): what kind of people are this, where are they? Done one job for NN, earning the agency a great five and then "ProZ, bye for ever"?

Switching to straight words (addressed to NN and their kind): You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2008-06-26 19:25]

[Rediģēts plkst. 2008-06-26 20:17]
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Waiting period? Jun 26, 2008

While it would be unwise to introduce some limits that must be met before BB opinions may be posted, such as KudoZ (not everyone plays the game) or Brownies (too easy to get), it might be practical to set a waiting period (a month, maybe?) for new members.

Although it would not deter the really desperate fraudsters, the casual cheater might not have the patience...

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 16:03
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Actually a very good idea Jun 26, 2008

we already have some like warning systems in place, should extend that also to the BB, notifying the Staff

Uldis

Jabberwock wrote:
While it would be unwise to introduce some limits that must be met before BB opinions may be posted, such as KudoZ (not everyone plays the game) or Brownies (too easy to get), it might be practical to set a waiting period (a month, maybe?) for new members.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Please contact a Jobs/BB moderator Jun 26, 2008

Hi Vito,

Note that I have moved your topic to Proz.com job systems and changed it to On-Topic. (I appreciate the irony in posting in the Lighter side though)

Could you please contact a Jobs/BB moderator with details regarding the outsourcer?

Thanks!<
... See more
Hi Vito,

Note that I have moved your topic to Proz.com job systems and changed it to On-Topic. (I appreciate the irony in posting in the Lighter side though)

Could you please contact a Jobs/BB moderator with details regarding the outsourcer?

Thanks!

Özden

[Edited at 2008-06-26 22:21]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Every system based on cooperation... Jun 27, 2008

depends in a crucial way also on those, who break the rules (I could quote serious science about that, drop me a note, if you would like to know more). They keep us awake with our hammer ("...only out my dead hands...") ready.

Regards and I passed the ref on to the staff.

Vito

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what does it take to get 0 KudoZ points and 300 Brownies?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »