Thread poster: USER0059 (X)
USER0059 (X)
USER0059 (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:20
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jul 22, 2008

Would it be possible for ProZ.com to use the 24-hour clock, where 00:00 unambiguously means midnight, and 12:00 noon?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-hour_clock#Confusion_at_noon_and_midnight

Ingrid Lovric
Ingrid Lovric
Local time: 23:20
English to Croatian
+ ...
Completely agree! Jul 22, 2008

Thank you for your comment! I completely agree with you! In Croatia we use a 24-hour-clock, and 12.00 am and 12.00 pm often confuse me - the worst is when I have a 12.00 am or pm deadline - I always hope it's the midnight one

Best,

Ingrid

Aglaia Pavlerou
Aglaia Pavlerou  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:20
English to Greek
+ ...
I agree! Jul 22, 2008

It doesn't make much sense!

Phyllis Mitzman
Phyllis Mitzman
Local time: 17:20
Dutch to English
Standard abbreviations Jul 22, 2008

The standard abbreviations for these times are really 12:00 m. (meaning midnight) and 12:00 n. (meaning noon), but most people don't seem to be aware of these abbreviations any more.

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:50
German to English
Different on different parts of the site Jul 22, 2008

The clock on the home page is a 24 hour clock, but on our profiles it isn't. I would also prefer a 24 hour clock everywhere.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:20
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Most of ProZ members are from Europe Jul 22, 2008

But keep in mind that Americans usually find the 24-hour clock totally confusing (unless they're in the military!). I don't, because I lived in Brazil, but I'm the exception rather than the rule.

Amy

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Both options will be allowed Jul 22, 2008

Thanks for this suggestion!

Since there are people used to each of these time formats, the best alternative would be to allow users to select the format they prefer by means of an option in the settings tab of their profiles.

Regards,
Enrique

Gad Kohenov
Gad Kohenov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:20
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Army time Jul 22, 2008

Hello,

Army time (with 24 hours a day) is the easiest to use. You don't have to be in fatigues in order to use it. It avoids misunderstandings.

D.F.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I like the idea of allowing both Jul 22, 2008

desertfox wrote:
Army time (with 24 hours a day) is the easiest to use. You don't have to be in fatigues in order to use it. It avoids misunderstandings.
D.F.

It's "easy" if you live someplace where it's used or if you like doing arithmetic every time you look at a clock.

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:20
English to Croatian
+ ...
I thought this is world wide facility Jul 22, 2008

Amy Duncan wrote:

But keep in mind that Americans usually find the 24-hour clock totally confusing (unless they're in the military!). I don't, because I lived in Brazil, but I'm the exception rather than the rule.

Amy

With all due respect to the founder of this site and his USA location, but this has become a long time ago a world wide facility. Who cares if they are confused with 24-hour clock. Someone else in the world can be confused with am and pm as well.

I think that a world standard is 24-hour clock. Let's implement it here.

At the moment it's 22:18 at my part of the world.

Cheers!

[Edited at 2008-07-22 14:19]

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Let's provide options Jul 22, 2008

Kemal Mustajbegovic wrote:

Amy Duncan wrote:

Amy

With all due respect to the founder of this site and his USA location, but this has become a long time ago a world wide facility. Who cares if they are confused with 24-hour clock. Someone else in the world can be confused with am and pm as well.

I think that a world standard is 24-hour clock. Let's implement it here.

ProZ.com's approach is to provide options. Wherever possible the person in need of a service (in this case the time information) should be able to set the corresponding parameters (in this case the format s/he will see).

Providing both formats and allowing users to select the one they prefer looks like a good solution to me.

Regards,
Enrique

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Charming Jul 22, 2008

Kemal Mustajbegovic wrote:
With all due respect to the founder of this site and his USA location, but this has become a long time ago a world wide facility. Who cares if they are confused with 24-hour clock.

Yes, your message is just brimming with due respect. I can feel the love.

Since this is a translation site, it makes sense for various standards to be available. The whole point of translation is to make things understandable to the reader in his or her own language -- and to respect that things are said and written differently in different parts of the world.

[Edited at 2008-07-22 14:44]

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Both options will be provided Jul 22, 2008

Hello all,

In the interest of keeping things constructive I will lock this thread, as it has already been decided that both options will be provided, to allow all users to choose the option which best works for them. I will report back here once the feature has been implemented. Thanks.

Best regards,

Jared

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Option to set 12 and 24 hour clock implemented Jul 29, 2008

You may now set the time format you prefer, from your profile. Just go to your Profile Updater, http://www.proz.com/?sp=quick_profile&eid_s= , point 2, "Contact information", and click on the edit link. At the bottom of the form, below your local time setting, you'll see the option to choose the format you prefer. Thanks.

Best regards,

Jared

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"12:00 am" and "12:00 pm" are ambiguous

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »