Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Announcing surcharge, discount and minimum charge interface - Feedback requested
Thread poster: Andrew
Isabelle F. BRUCHER (X)
Isabelle F. BRUCHER (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 03:27
English to French
+ ...
More lines for: Payment delay; Bank & wire transfer charges,... Sep 3, 2011

Could we also have boxes where we could enter the following information:

- Requested payment delay

(I am getting tired of Belgian agencies trying to make me believe that "60 days end of the month" is supposedly the standard norm: not in the North of Europe, where it's more 15-30 days, I've read, and for an unknown customer without credentials, its "payment against delivery") (it's up to the agency to build working capital, not to the freelance translator) (there are le
... See more
Could we also have boxes where we could enter the following information:

- Requested payment delay

(I am getting tired of Belgian agencies trying to make me believe that "60 days end of the month" is supposedly the standard norm: not in the North of Europe, where it's more 15-30 days, I've read, and for an unknown customer without credentials, its "payment against delivery") (it's up to the agency to build working capital, not to the freelance translator) (there are less and less translators who accept to work for customers who do not pay within 30 days and the "Facebook generation" know what other people are requesting);

- Bank and wire transfer costs: they are at the customer's own expense.

(otherwise it's something we might forget to mention).

- CAT tools do not give rise to rebates. It's an investment by translators to make translators richer, not to make agencies richer at the expense of the person doing all the work. Or they offer the tools, the training, and pay for time lost at downloading, installing and training plus bugs on other related software programs in which CAT tool interferes. Provide technical assistance 365/7/24 in several languages. I am probably forgetting something...

- TM files are a translator's intellectual property, just like glossaries, and might be for sale, unless there is a fair exchange with old, valuable TM files from the customer.
Collapse

AnneMarieG
AnneMarieG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
-) Sep 3, 2011

Isabelle - Merci !
I fully agree with you!

I always copy/paste an extract of my T&Cs in my offers to point out exactly those items.
It would be great if they could be selected (and/or saved for future use) when quoting jobs on ProZ.

Have a great weekend,

Anne-Marie

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 10:27
English to Italian
+ ...
Suggestion on add surcharge/discount sections Jan 31, 2013

Hello everybody,

I was setting some more details on my rates in the section stated in the header and noticed there isn't any function allowing me to add some comments. My fear in this case is that a customer enters the discounts/surcharges section, sees a list of cold numbers, and based on that rather than finding it informative he may decide to leave. Adding a comment section on why and when surcharges/discounts are applied would add quality and detail to the section.

... See more
Hello everybody,

I was setting some more details on my rates in the section stated in the header and noticed there isn't any function allowing me to add some comments. My fear in this case is that a customer enters the discounts/surcharges section, sees a list of cold numbers, and based on that rather than finding it informative he may decide to leave. Adding a comment section on why and when surcharges/discounts are applied would add quality and detail to the section.

I'd be happy to hear your opinions. I may be wrong.

Regards

EC.
Collapse

Lourdes Zalcik
Lourdes Zalcik  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Space for comments. Aug 14, 2013

I fully agree with Enrico regarding space for comments. Some potential client may think that because we offer a range of discounts, for example, they may think that they may get a greater discount by pressure rather than based on some reasonable facts.

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

Hello everybody,

I'd be happy to hear your opinions. I may be wrong.

Regards

EC.

Lourdes Zalcik
Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree with adding new concepts for surcharges or discounts. Aug 14, 2013

I also want to thank ProZ for adding this feature that is easy to use, and I agree with the addition of the surcharges mentioned by Gianfranco.

gianfranco wrote:

Andrew wrote:
As a part of the developments to our rates system, we've introduced the ability to list your surcharges, discounts, and minimum charges. The forms to add this data to your profile can be found here: http://www.proz.com/?sp=rate_conditions

Thank you for implementing this feature. My only objection is that the list of options made available is very short, and there are many more that could be taken on board and shown in the list, as suggestions.

The translators may use them or not, but having them available would produce consistent entries, with the same heading, and make it possible to produce in the near future some statistics.

For example, if many thousand translators enter a surcharge for dealing with documents on paper, or PDF, both of which cause extra work and are somehow time consuming, we could know that the average surcharge for those formats is XX%, and publish this statistical information for the benefit of all parties, translators and outsourcers.

Just for information, my entries for surcharges are the following:

Weekend or rush jobs: (*)
Jobs of high complexity:
Complex formatting:
Handwritten or PDF source document: (**)
Late payment (over 30 days late):
Late payment (over 60 days late):
Late payment (over 90 days late):

(*) I have grouped weekend and rush jobs, under the assumption that they are both related to work done in unsociable hours, but they could be separated in the standard options available and the translators could apply the same surcharge or differentiate between them.
(**) Here again I have grouped two separate types of format, mainly because I do not receive any handwritten or paper document. The two entries could be separated in two standard entries, if they become part of the options available.

I would suggest to monitor closely how the feature is used, and try to provide very soon more options in the interface.

Thank you
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2008-08-16 14:59]

Lourdes Zalcik
Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
More info about rates Aug 14, 2013

I did not know about the form to enter rates for the different kinds of translations. That would be very useful.

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Hi Andrew,

This is a good idea. However, a few months ago there was an announcement about a new, sophisticated way of quoting rates, and a link to it. I clicked on this link and was able to fill in details of different rates for legal, marketing or financial translations, for example. I was looking forward to using this system, and displaying the various individual rates on my profile page. However, after I had filled it all in it did not appear on the profile page and there was no further mention of it. Only the old, uninformative rates information is there.

Could we have that interface back, as well, please? Otherwise this addition does not make sense.

Astrid

P.S. Would the general minimum charge in euros also be possible?

[Edited at 2008-08-15 22:06]

CATHERINE GROSY
CATHERINE GROSY  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Very helpful Dec 23, 2013

Hello,

I find this feature very well thought out. Thank you.

The only improvement I would suggest is the ability to use more than currency (in columns) like, Euros, USD and perhaps another column.

Patricia Maria Straulino
Patricia Maria Straulino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:27
French to Spanish
+ ...
Big help Sep 3, 2015

I consider the rates tool to be very helpful.

Admittedly, at times we would like to have the option to specify on certain details or information-- and I hope that in the future we would have such an option--, but the way the page is set up for now seems to me pretty convenient.

Thank you, ProZ!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:27
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
The percentages aren't very flexible Nov 10, 2015

I've just been updating my profile and discovered two things:

1. You can't input a zero percentage. Well, you can but the system ignores it, so a surcharge for rush jobs input as 0-50% comes out at a flat 50%. I don't always charge regular clients for rush jobs.

2. You can only input a figure between 1% and 99%. I would charge at least double for working on Christmas Day (if it was at the client's request, at any rate...
See more
I've just been updating my profile and discovered two things:

1. You can't input a zero percentage. Well, you can but the system ignores it, so a surcharge for rush jobs input as 0-50% comes out at a flat 50%. I don't always charge regular clients for rush jobs.

2. You can only input a figure between 1% and 99%. I would charge at least double for working on Christmas Day (if it was at the client's request, at any rate)
Collapse

Sanaa Zahy

David Greenberg
David Greenberg  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 04:27
Hebrew to English
+ ...
Comments, Multiple Currencies May 4, 2017

I agree with Enrico and with C. Grosy.

Like Enrico, I feel a need to add comments to explain a wide range of formatting surcharges. If a certificate, for example, is reproduced with formatting, then formatting is likely to cost more than translation ... but including a number without explanation would scare some customers.

To the comment by C. Grosy, I would add that I would like to be able to specify conditions for payment in different currencies. For instance, I requi
... See more
I agree with Enrico and with C. Grosy.

Like Enrico, I feel a need to add comments to explain a wide range of formatting surcharges. If a certificate, for example, is reproduced with formatting, then formatting is likely to cost more than translation ... but including a number without explanation would scare some customers.

To the comment by C. Grosy, I would add that I would like to be able to specify conditions for payment in different currencies. For instance, I require customers in the country where I live to pay in the local currency.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing surcharge, discount and minimum charge interface - Feedback requested

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »