Confused as to Proz job posting - how big is the job ?
Thread poster: tralamode
tralamode
United States
Local time: 01:31
French to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2008

Hello all -

I've only recently starting looking at this site for job postings - and there is maybe something I am missing, or simply can't see as a free member. I see a FR->EN job that has been posted today, specifying a "VERY URGENT" translation of a historical script, proposing 500 USD as payment, and asking for a small translation sample. My question is this -- since they specify how much they are willing to pay, how is one supposed to offer a reasonable quote on this job without knowing how big it is ? Maybe I'm just tired or missing something but I'm wondering how so many people (27) bid on the job without knowing what it entails. Is this something I'm not seeing as a non-paying member ?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:31
English to German
+ ...
Ask the outsourcer Aug 20, 2008

Hi Matthew,
The job posting does not provide any specifics regarding job size. I have notified the job poster about this - if you would like to quote, I would suggest to require further details, and to make any quotation contingent upon checking the job at hand.

Best regards,
Ralf

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
a job is always as big as you cannot manage... Aug 20, 2008

Hi! talk to your OS as Ralf suggests. BR Brandis

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
No response visible on the job posting Aug 21, 2008

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Matthew,
The job posting does not provide any specifics regarding job size. I have notified the job poster about this - if you would like to quote, I would suggest to require further details, and to make any quotation contingent upon checking the job at hand.

Best regards,
Ralf

Outsourcer has not provided any additional information to the job posting. So a firm in Paris is offering to pay $500 (not €) for a job without any mention of the number of words.
Apparently this does not present any problem at all, since 38 people have already bid, perhaps understandably because the sample text is extremely simple. With so many people rushing in blindly, it's fairly pointless to ask for specific information when so many are willing to accept the job first and find out afterwards.

[Edited at 2008-08-21 08:42]

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Please don't jump to conclusions Aug 21, 2008

writeaway wrote:
Outsourcer has not provided any additional information to the job posting. So a firm in Paris is offering to pay $500 (not €) for a job without any mention of the number of words.
Apparently this does not present any problem at all, since 38 people have already bid, perhaps understandably because the sample text is extremely simple. With so many people rushing in blindly, it's fairly pointless to ask for specific information when so many are willing to accept the job first and find out afterwards.

Your statement leads me to believe that you know more than I do. Who has told you that all these people were "rushing in blindly"? Please do consider that many of them may have pointed out to the outsourcer that they need to see a quantity before being able to quote. (On a related note, it is generally not advisable to underestimate the business sense of colleagues.)

Regards,
Steffen

French to English
+ ...
Assumption that's all Aug 21, 2008

Steffen Walter wrote:

writeaway wrote:

Your statement leads me to believe that you know more than I do. Who has told you that all these people were "rushing in blindly"? Please do consider that many of them may have pointed out to the outsourcer that they need to see a quantity before being able to quote. (On a related note, it is generally not advisable to underestimate the business sense of colleagues.)

Regards,
Steffen

I used the phrase 'rush in blindly' on the assumption that people entered a quote for a job with a price set by the outsourcer but without any clue to the actual size of the job to be done for that rate. Do you assume they all wrote to the outsourcer and only bid once they were told how many words there are? I also don't see how you can jump to the conclusion that I was underestimating the business sense of colleagues.
Shouldn't outsourcers be required to provide such information when they post a job?

tralamode
United States
Local time: 01:31
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I sent the outsourcer a message Aug 21, 2008

Thanks everyone for your responses. I sent the outsourcer a message and got an automated response. I was really wondering if not seeing all of the job details was something, as a non-paying member, I couldn't see (again, I've just started looking at job postings on ProZ.com). I think now that this is just a case of the outsourcer not putting all the details down. There are 40 quotes now on the job so I can only imagine that interested people are bidding and hoping for a small job. Thanks again for your replies -
Best regards
Matt Pagett

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Outsourcer requirements/terms Aug 21, 2008

writeaway wrote:
Shouldn't outsourcers be required to provide such information when they post a job?

Yes, indeed they should, which is why Ralf sent them a message, asking for a related clarification (as far as I remember, outsourcers already need to state the translation volume, which is why I am bit astonished to see that this one got through without).

On a related note, I do believe that at least some of the quoters asked for more information about the volume of the job, instead of just "quoting blindly".

Steffen

[Post edited because of breach of forum rules]

[Edited at 2008-08-25 08:50]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:31
Member (2004)
English to Italian
how do you know... Aug 21, 2008

writeaway wrote:

Steffen Walter wrote:

writeaway wrote:

Regards,
Steffen

I used the phrase 'rush in blindly' on the assumption that people entered a quote for a job with a price set by the outsourcer but without any clue to the actual size of the job to be done for that rate. Do you assume they all wrote to the outsourcer and only bid once they were told how many words there are? I also don't see how you can jump to the conclusion that I was underestimating the business sense of colleagues.

they are bids? Maybe they are just asking for more information...

French to English
+ ...
Thank you Ralf Aug 22, 2008

Thank you Ralf for contacting the outsourcer. To their credit, they have reposted the job with a full explanation of what the job entails, posted the number of words and adjusted their rates. Now interested colleagues can make an informed bid for the job.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Confused as to Proz job posting - how big is the job ?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search