Finding outsourcer profile, using their name as search criteria
Thread poster: ViktoriaG

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:21
English to French
+ ...
Aug 24, 2008

I have always thought that the main use of the BlueBoard is to be able to find an outsourcer and investigate them before deciding to work with them. This is why I tried to find a specific outsourcer today, hoping to see not just their BlueBoard record but also their profile.

I entered their name in the BlueBoard search field - and out came the result. I checked the address - it is the right one. But it seems they never posted a job on ProZ and they also have a blank BlueBoard page. This is not much use for me - so I thought I will at least check their profile. However, there doesn't seem to be any link to the outsourcer's profile. I wondered if it may be that they simply don't have one, but then the only reason why they would still have a BlueBoard page is because someone wanted to add a comment. But there are no comments either. I am now convinced they do have a ProZ profile. There just isn't any means to find it, or so it seems for now.

I then checked all the other search tools on the site, hoping to find one that will eventually point me in the right direction. No. None of the search pages let me specify a name, except the 'search by name' option, which gave no result.

Am I blind and can't see the link on the BlueBoard page pointing to the outsourcer's profile? Or am I not blind and there really isn't any way to go to the profile in question? If so, then I think it's time to add a little more functionality to the directories.

In a way, I am buying access to the BlueBoard, but it doesn't let me do what it was designed for - investigate prospects.

Any ideas?

Direct link Reply with quote

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 20:21
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
BB record in no way means there is a ProZ.com profile Aug 24, 2008

Hi Viktoria,

Subj.

BB record can be made for ANY outsourcer, even if he himself never has interacted with ProZ.com in any way. Or the profile may have been removed either by the outsourcer himself or ProZ.com Staff or jobs mods for various (not always negative) reasons.

Anyway, in such a situation please feel free to contact any jobs mod, we'll be happy to advise you - due to the nature of our voluntary job we do, we may happen to have the info you need- we have our search methods, records and like.

Also- there are several Payment Practices lists out there worth consulting besides the BB - BB is as good as it can be, but in no way it holds all info available on the Internet- as there are quite a concrete rules for when you can and can not make a BB entry- as you surely know.

Uldis

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
Am I blind and can't see the link on the BlueBoard page pointing to the outsourcer's profile? Or am I not blind and there really isn't any way to go to the profile in question? If so, then I think it's time to add a little more functionality to the directories.

In a way, I am buying access to the BlueBoard, but it doesn't let me do what it was designed for - investigate prospects.
Any ideas?

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:21
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Adding outsourcers Aug 24, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
I wondered if it may be that they simply don't have one, but then the only reason why they would still have a BlueBoard page is because someone wanted to add a comment. But there are no comments either. I am now convinced they do have a ProZ profile.

They do not have to have a profile at all - someone might have added them just so they could call for opinions on them...

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:21
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see Aug 24, 2008

I have done a bit of testing, and I noticed that those BlueBoard records that have a profile associated with them do in fact have a link to the profile.

I was wondering because I was looking for a particular outsourcer and there was no link to their profile. Then, I checked a few random BlueBoard records, and they also didn't have links to profiles (I guess I wasn't lucky and clicked only on BB records which have no associated profile). I was wondering if maybe there are simply no links to profiles in BlueBoard records - but now I see that if there is no link, that means that the profile doesn't exist, and not that there are no links by default.

Problem solved. Thanks for your speedy replies, Uldis and Jabberwock!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding outsourcer profile, using their name as search criteria

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search