Thread poster: Helen Johnson

Helen Johnson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:05
Member (2003)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jul 8, 2003

Would anyone agree that it would be nice if job posters were to close their job postings on selecting a translator/proofreader, as this would save other bidders from wondering if they could still be on for a job? I've waited a number of times, only to discover that someone else has got the job/I was too late, etc. and the job on the website is still listed as open for bids. I like to know what's happening, and this could make things more efficient for applicants. Helenicon_smile.gif

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:05
English to German
+ ...
Agreed Jul 8, 2003

...and on our "to-do list" for the new structure of the Jobs Area.

Best regards, Ralf

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:05
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mentioned this a while ago Jul 8, 2003

Dear Helen,

I mentioned this a while ago but did not hear anything. Yes, it would be so nice. It is so annoying to think that these jobs are still open and they are not. For me they should also take them off once they have been on closed status for like a day or so. They otherwise just keep cluttering up the space.

Lucinda

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Ongoing process Jul 8, 2003

Hi Lucinda,
Lucinda Hollenberg wrote:

Dear Helen,

I mentioned this a while ago but did not hear anything.

My apologies, but this is a process that doesn't happen overnight, I'm afraid - please bear in mind that the moderators involved in this process are volunteers, all of whom run their own business ("businesses" in some cases).

We started the process by addressing problems and functional deficits of the Blue Board, including the steps to be taken against non-payers. This seemed to be most important; we're now looking at how to best restructure the way jobs are outsourced.

Thanks for your continued patience.

Best regards, Ralf

Domenica Grangiotti  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
*Frozen* job postings Jul 8, 2003

I have a suggestion: would it be possible to just *freeze* a job posting once the job has been assigned, without cancelling it altogether?
Right now, whenever I try the option "Previous job postings" I get a list of This job posting has been closed, which is not very enlightening as to the kind of postings of that particular poster.
Have I made myself understood? Hope so.

Good night, you all.
Domenica

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
'freezing' a job Jul 9, 2003

Domenica Grangiotti wrote:

I have a suggestion: would it be possible to just *freeze* a job posting once the job has been assigned, without cancelling it altogether?
Right now, whenever I try the option "Previous job postings" I get a list of This job posting has been closed, which is not very enlightening as to the kind of postings of that particular poster.
Have I made myself understood? Hope so.

Good night, you all.
Domenica

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
'freezing' a job Jul 9, 2003

I imagine this could be useful and interesting, depending on the programming complexity/possibilities, as there have also been times when I've gone to look at a job and nothing has been shown because it's been 'closed'. The greatest concern to me, though, and others, I imagine, is those jobs that are left 'unclosed' for a fair while (e.g. 2 days or more) and it's not clear whether or not someone has been chosen, particularly if the poster does not email all applicants to say someone has been chosen. I'm not sure when a smiley face is supposed to appear; on one occasion when I was selected, a smiley appeared and I'd only just started the job! On the first occasion, I'd finished the job before the deadline and a smiley didn't appear until aroud 5 days later (maybe because the poster was reminded?). Considering this, I think it could be an idea to leave the details visible but make it clear that someone's been chosen for the job. If it were possible, given time, complexity and willing..Helenicon_smile.gif

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:35
English to Tamil
+ ...
It is a question of simple manners Jul 9, 2003

Posters who do not bother to close the job posting once it is awarded are just lacking in manners. Nothing more nothing less. Under the given dispensation, I do not think that Proz.com has any way of knowing the a job has already been awarded, as it has been made clear time and again that the interaction between the translators and the job posters is strictly between them two only and the Proz.com has nothing to do with that. Fair enough. I have one suggestion. This lack of manners on the part of the posters should find a suitable mention in the blue board. This might make the posters behave in future.

101translations  Identity Verified
Ireland
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Why it takes time Jul 9, 2003

As a job poster, I would like to point out that it often takes some time to reach a final agreement with a winning bidder.

Because closing a job makes it unaccessible forever (even to the poster - I wonder why), I wait until everything is set before closing it, so in case of problems I can select another winning bid.

It has happened in the past that I had selected a bidder, only to find out that he/she had misunderstood a key issue about the job (usually in the payment area). If I had then closed the job, i would have had to repost and everyone would have had to rebid.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job posters 'closing' a job once a translator/proofreader has been selected

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search