Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:06
English to German
+ ...
I can understand how you felt Jan 27, 2009

Dear Caryl,

I think I can truly understand how you felt at that moment and in my opinion it was your good right to ask the ProZ.com staff if there was such a feature available.

What I don't understand as well is why some agency/outsourcer does indicate a deadline for quoting on the job at all if he/she intends to accept the first offer he/she receives?

Shit happens...take it easy and try to think about it as Paula suggested.

Annett

[Edit
... See more
Dear Caryl,

I think I can truly understand how you felt at that moment and in my opinion it was your good right to ask the ProZ.com staff if there was such a feature available.

What I don't understand as well is why some agency/outsourcer does indicate a deadline for quoting on the job at all if he/she intends to accept the first offer he/she receives?

Shit happens...take it easy and try to think about it as Paula suggested.

Annett

[Edited at 2009-01-28 05:38 GMT]
Collapse

Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Annett... Jan 27, 2009

...for your kind reply.

And you're quite right. Why bother with the quoting deadline at all? Perhaps it's a compulsory field?

Kind regards
Caryl

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Quoting deadline is used to automatically close jobs Jan 27, 2009

Hi Caryl,

And you're quite right. Why bother with the quoting deadline at all? Perhaps it's a compulsory field?

It is - and for a reason: to avoid having jobs being shown as open that were placed long ago, they are closed automatically when the quoting deadline expires.

Best regards,
Ralf

Caryl Swift
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Automatic action/reaction Jan 27, 2009

Hi Ralf!

Thank you for the explanation - and the reasoning is, of course, absolutely sound.

So, can I ask - is there any way of notifiying anyone who's in the middle of writing a quote for a job that was open when they begun and is not near its expiry time that the job has now been closed?

Kind regards,
Caryl

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You will need to ask the TechieZ Jan 27, 2009

Hi again,

So, can I ask - is there any way of notifiying anyone who's in the middle of writing a quote for a job that was open when they begun and is not near its expiry time that the job has now been closed?

Of course you can - but I'm afraid I cannot answer, as I cannot assess the technical feasibility and/or the programming efforts involved.

Best regards,
Ralf

Caryl Swift
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Ralf Jan 27, 2009

Is there a specific way of doing that? Or will they see the question here anyway?

Kind regards,
Caryl

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Support Request Jan 27, 2009

Hi again,

Is there a specific way of doing that? Or will they see the question here anyway?

They might (I alerted them to this topic); if you believe this needs more urgent attention, I suggest to submit a Support Request.

Best regards,
Ralf

Caryl Swift
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, no great urgency Jan 27, 2009

Thank you again, Ralf!

No, I don't think it's a matter of major urgency or warrants a support ticket - especially since you've been kind enough to alert them to the thread. It's more along the lines of a small suggestion for a possible improvement, I think.

Thank you very much for all your answers. Have a good evening!

Kind regards,
Caryl

[Edited at 2009-01-27 20:52 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:06
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
A KudoZ-type "agree" with Caryl Jan 27, 2009

The same thing happened to me a few months ago, Caryl. I, too, found it annoying.

As you say, it's not the end of the world, but if it's avoidable then it would be nice to avoid it. If it's a job you really want you may spend a while on the quote and experience a very real let-down when all you get is this "job closed" message.

I don't think you can get to the quote screens at all if the job is already closed, so the fact that you are there means that you started th
... See more
The same thing happened to me a few months ago, Caryl. I, too, found it annoying.

As you say, it's not the end of the world, but if it's avoidable then it would be nice to avoid it. If it's a job you really want you may spend a while on the quote and experience a very real let-down when all you get is this "job closed" message.

I don't think you can get to the quote screens at all if the job is already closed, so the fact that you are there means that you started the quote when it was open. Surely these quotes ought to be sent to the poster. Posters could be informed that quotes that are already "in the post" (using old-fashioned terminology) when the job was closed will be received and should be acknowledged in the usual way.
Collapse

Caryl Swift
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another angle! Jan 27, 2009

Hi Sheila,

Yes, you're right that you can't get the quote screen once the job has been closed, so your logic makes perfect sense.; if you're there, it was open. So it might, indeed, be an idea for the poster to be aware that another quote is, as you say, 'in the post'.

I wonder if it would be possible to do something like this (I'm no great Techie, I'm afraid). What I'm calling the 'pop-up' option would give you the chance to decide whether to proceed with the quote any
... See more
Hi Sheila,

Yes, you're right that you can't get the quote screen once the job has been closed, so your logic makes perfect sense.; if you're there, it was open. So it might, indeed, be an idea for the poster to be aware that another quote is, as you say, 'in the post'.

I wonder if it would be possible to do something like this (I'm no great Techie, I'm afraid). What I'm calling the 'pop-up' option would give you the chance to decide whether to proceed with the quote anyway - on the 'Try anyway' basis that Luisa mentioned; if you continued, then your notification idea would kick in, but only at the moment the quote is submitted.

That way, there'd be no erroneous notification sent if you were to decide not to bother and thus abandoned the quote. And there wouldn't, I suppose, be floods of such notifications, since it would only affect people who'd accessed the screen before the closure.

Well - I don't know whether that's possible - but the **WARNING - THIS JOB HAS JUST BEEN CLOSED** communique would be nice.

Bonne nuit!
Caryl

[Edited at 2009-01-27 22:29 GMT]
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
A quoting robot, perhaps? Jan 28, 2009

Caryl, I saw that one too and wanted to quote, but could not find the quote button any more ...

An idea for proz.com programmers:

If I qualify for the job, can you put together a piece of code that places the quote for me? (And if the outsourcer requires a quote by e-mail, e-mail me first so that I can forward the quote).

What do you, and the translators think?

Regards,

... See more
Caryl, I saw that one too and wanted to quote, but could not find the quote button any more ...

An idea for proz.com programmers:

If I qualify for the job, can you put together a piece of code that places the quote for me? (And if the outsourcer requires a quote by e-mail, e-mail me first so that I can forward the quote).

What do you, and the translators think?

Regards,

Piotr
Collapse

The Good Translator
The Good Translator  Identity Verified
Australia
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
outsourcers just want to collect your contact details Jan 28, 2009

I ran into a similiar situation two days ago. After the job was posted for 30 minutes, I wrote an email to the poster. Then I phone him to ask about if he got my message. His answer was the job had been assigned to someone else. He promised to enter my contact details to his database. What the hell! And the job is still in Proz for the next three days. Obviously, what some job posters want in Proz is collecting contact details!

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:06
German to English
+ ...
Really? Jan 28, 2009

An Trinh wrote:
Obviously, what some job posters want in Proz is collecting contact details!

Nothing too bad about that as far as I can see, except perhaps the occasionally puerile fits my hosts have about "data protection and privacy". Many translators are eager to get someone to notice their details and maybe offer them a job some day, so if these details get collected, that gives them a useful result. In most cases a job can be awarded to one person, but this way a number of people may win over the long term. I've had profitable contacts years later from prospects I contacted because of a job posting, and some have ended up becoming cherished regulars. So be patient... your day may come

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Testing the market Jan 28, 2009

An Trinh wrote:

Obviously, what some job posters want in Proz is collecting contact details!

What's wrong with it? It happens every day, everywhere - all over the world.

Some outsoucers just want to "test" the translation market

Caryl Swift
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Piotr and Kevin Jan 28, 2009

Piotr, I'm not sure that I'd want a piece of code quoting for me. What if I didn't want to quote? Or didn't have the capacity to take the job on?

What's more, although, of course, I have a bank of template letters/quotes, still, they always have to be shaped to the exact requirements of each posting. I've never yet simply done an unedited copy and paste with them.

However, that's just me; maybe many others will see it as being an idea tailormade to their requirements
... See more
Piotr, I'm not sure that I'd want a piece of code quoting for me. What if I didn't want to quote? Or didn't have the capacity to take the job on?

What's more, although, of course, I have a bank of template letters/quotes, still, they always have to be shaped to the exact requirements of each posting. I've never yet simply done an unedited copy and paste with them.

However, that's just me; maybe many others will see it as being an idea tailormade to their requirements.

Kevin, you're quite right. In this, as in any business, I don't think it does any harm to be as widely known in one's field(s) as is humanely possible. And I see nothing wrong whatsoever with creating the widest possible potential client base, either. Especially as we're currently undergoing interesting times...

And what you say relates, in a way, to Sheila's point. If one is interested enough in a potential job to stop what one's doing and quote for it, because the job is still open, it would be nice if that quote were able to go through. Even if the job's closed while one's quoting. At least the time spent making the quote isn't then a complete zero, but can be put down to 'marketing' And the poster doesn't exactly lose out, either, since they have the opportunity to enrich their database.

Though I'd still welcome the knowledge that the job's been closed, so as to then be able to decide whether I want to continue with the quote or not.

[Edited at 2009-01-28 12:25 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job closed 6 minutes after being posted

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »