Taija Hyvönen
Taija Hyvönen
Finland
Local time: 19:32
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Mar 24, 2009

How do you quote when the outsourcer asks to be contacted by email and provides an email address, but at the end of the posting Contact method says to submit a quote via ProZ?

I read the postings thoroughly and follow every detail. How about here? Which one should I believe? Do you do both, send an email and submit a quote?

[Edited at 2009-03-24 09:08 GMT]

Dr. Birgitte Eggeling
Dr. Birgitte Eggeling  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:32
German to Danish
eMail Mar 24, 2009

Dear Taija

In such a case I only send an email, if the outsourcer wants this.
Best regards
Birgitte

Maartje Giebels
Maartje Giebels  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
What is said in the posting Mar 24, 2009

I always do what is said in the posting. If they ask to send an e-mail, that's what I do, even if the submit quote through Proz method is asked.
I don't send offers twice, as I think this could be annoying and confusing for the poster. I don't think that it really makes a difference, but maybe others disagree with me on that.

Love,
Maartje

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:32
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Indicated Contact Method is relevant Mar 24, 2009

Hello Taija,

if the outsourcer has chosen as contact method "quote via ProZ.com", then correctness suggests to contact the job poster via ProZ.com, no matter if the e-mail address is visible in the contact details.

What counts is the indicated contact method.

Giuliana

Taija Hyvönen
Taija Hyvönen
Finland
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but... Mar 24, 2009

if the outsourcer has chosen as contact method "quote via ProZ.com", then correctness suggests to contact the job poster via ProZ.com, no matter if the e-mail address is visible in the contact details.

I get confused when the Contact method says "please submit a quote via ProZ", but the text the outsourcer has written above clearly says "please send your CV etc. to this person to this email address ". It's not just an address being visible, it's clear instructions... to do two different things. And this happens a LOT.

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:32
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Quote via site & CV sending to the indicated e-mail address Mar 24, 2009

well, the Jobs Quoting System via ProZ.com does not foresee any files uploading, that could be the reason for a separate instruction for the CV.

I'd quote via ProZ.com and send the CV via e-mail referring to my quote via Jobs System.

Giuliana

LAURA TENORINI
LAURA TENORINI  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
I agree with Giuliana Mar 24, 2009

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

I'd quote via ProZ.com and send the CV via e-mail referring to my quote via Jobs System.

In fact that’s what I usually do. I hope the outsourcer won’t be annoyed by receiving my offer twice…we can say that he wants me to do this!

Have a great day,
Laura

Taija Hyvönen
Taija Hyvönen
Finland
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for advice! Mar 24, 2009

I just thought it's a bit odd to have to submit basically the same information twice. Then again, I don't know how the quote system works from the other side and if there is some advantage in having the information in that form.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:32
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Downloadable CV Mar 24, 2009

Taija Salo wrote:
I get confused when the Contact method says "please submit a quote via ProZ", but the text the outsourcer has written above clearly says "please send your CV etc. to this person to this email address ". It's not just an address being visible, it's clear instructions... to do two different things. And this happens a LOT.

The problem here is for that person to associate your bid to your CV, as they will receive each separately.

I think the best option is to copy the link to your uploaded CV (from your Proz profile), and state on your online quote You may download my CV from... and paste it there. Some people are not Proz-savvy enough to go to your profile and click on the CV link there.

If the job poster is so disorganized that your quote goes to John while your CV should be sent to Mary, and these two don't communicate, you won't want to work for them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quoting when contact method is unclear

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »