Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is the Proz Certified P now being equated with credentials?
Thread poster: writeaway

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
May 21, 2009

I was quite surprised to see one or two jobs now being offered with the restriction:

The outsourcer has chosen to restrict quoting on this job to those who:
... have credentials reported in this pair or have a Certified PRO certificate

Since this has occurred more than once, does it mean that this is a bundled restriction (ie the P and credentials can't be selected separately)? What about people who have a P certificate based on a different language pair? Are they free to bid anywhere?

[Edited at 2009-05-21 12:16 GMT]

Direct link

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:40
Dutch to English
+ ...
Good question May 21, 2009

If it is a bundled restriction, it's a very disappointing development for those of us who have 'real' credentials.

Direct link

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Real credentials and real experience May 21, 2009

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

If it is a bundled restriction, it's a very disappointing development for those of us who have 'real' credentials.

I can understand your disappointment - yet it is an encouraging development for those of us who have 'real' experience to offer.

Direct link

Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Bang on, John! May 21, 2009

John Rawlins wrote:

is an encouraging development for those of us who have 'real' experience to offer. [/quote]

My thoughts exactly!

M

Direct link

The Misha
Local time: 23:40
Russian to English
+ ...
It is not a meaningful credential. P'ed or not, quite a few of the proud holders thereof May 21, 2009

... still cannot do the job, if one is to judge by the oft-ridiculous KudoZ questions regularly posted by these "professionals". Thanks but no, thanks, I'd rather not be bundled together under the same designation with any of those.

Direct link

Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Interesting May 21, 2009

John Rawlins wrote:

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

I can understand your disappointment - yet it is an encouraging development for those of us who have 'real' experience to offer.

Well, funnily I have both, and still can't help but feel disappointed. But perhaps that's because I actually have both (or, then again, maybe I'm just difficult to please).

Obviously site developments can't please everyone, but if this bundling is taking place, it's at least potentially sending out a message that these certified Pro thingamajigs are comparable to genuine credentials.

(And yes, I know the credentials per se are no guarantee, and that experience counts, but that is not the argument here).

Direct link

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
They are not bundled, the decision is left to the outsourcer May 21, 2009

The decision is left to the preference of the job poster. Most outsourcers don't put any restrictions of this sort. Among those who place restrictions of this sort, some require a credential (without accepting the P), others choose to accept either a credential or the P.

In short, if a message is being sent (and I don't think it would be safe to conclude that one is), it is being sent by outsourcers.

Direct link

Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not sure I understand ... May 21, 2009

Are you saying outsourcers have clear options to choose from at the time they place the restriction or are you saying of those who choose this restriction, some may just decide not to accept the "P" if someone with just that applies?

TIA for clarifying
Debs

[Edited at 2009-05-21 14:18 GMT]

Direct link

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Check out the job posting form, it will be clear immediately May 21, 2009

Frankly, there is a very simple way of finding out what is happening, so I am not really sure why would anybody jump to conclusions based on assumptions.

Go to the main navigation menu (top right), then choose Jobs -> Post a job

The job posting form is displayed, and if you scroll down you can see what kind of fields are there, what is required, what is optional, and what is set by default.

Under the section heading:
Service provider requirements (optional)

you will see "Professional credentials", and the three options are:

Must have reported credentials or a Certified PRO certificate.
Must have reported credentials
Not required

The "Not required" option is the default setting.

So, if an outsourcer decides to require the Certified PRO certificate, the only way is to select the first option, in which case everybody who has reported credentials will also be included. There is no way to require the red P and exclude people that are non-P with reported credentials.

So, to answer the last question, yes, the outsourcers have clear options at the time they place the restriction. (See the options above.)

Katalin

Direct link

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the explanation May 21, 2009

Henry D wrote:

The decision is left to the preference of the job poster. Most outsourcers don't put any restrictions of this sort. Among those who place restrictions of this sort, some require a credential (without accepting the P), others choose to accept either a credential or the P.

In short, if a message is being sent (and I don't think it would be safe to conclude that one is), it is being sent by outsourcers.

Thanks for explaining it Henry.
P

Direct link

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another sensible reply May 21, 2009

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

Frankly, there is a very simple way of finding out what is happening, so I am not really sure why would anybody jump to conclusions based on assumptions.

Katalin

Yet again Katalin - how very sensible of you to have checked and reported back in detail.

Thanks.

Direct link

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why would someone who never posts jobs check out a job posting forum? May 21, 2009

The job posting form is displayed, and if you scroll down you can see what kind of fields are there, what is required, what is optional, and what is set by default.

Under the section heading:
Service provider requirements (optional)

you will see "Professional credentials", and the three options are:

Not required

So, if an outsourcer decides to require the Certified PRO certificate, the only way is to select the first option, in which case everybody who has reported credentials will also be included. There is no way to require the red P and exclude people that are non-P with reported credentials.

So, to answer the last question, yes, the outsourcers have clear options at the time they place the restriction. (See the options above.)

Katalin

Sorry, but it never occurred to me to check out the job posting forum. I'm a translator, not an outsourcer. I didn't even know there was such a forum, for that matter.
And fwiw, I was asking a question, not jumping to any conclusions.

Direct link

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
One minor detail May 21, 2009

Frankly, there is a very simple way of finding out what is happening, ...

you will see ... options

So, to answer the last question, yes, the outsourcers have clear options at the time they place the restriction.

I agree entirely with your first point, and indeed I toyed with the idea of suggesting that those with a mind to know visit the relevant page.

One thing that held me back is the fact that I know from experience that the options displayed are not always universally available when it comes to the nitty-gritty of actually hitting the send button to post the job.
For example, the system will sometimes force you to make jobs available to members only for the first 12 hours despite your intention to make it up for grabs for all and sundry from the off (something about the number of people meeting the criteria).

While I'm reasonably confident that such a restriction is unlikely to apply in this specific case, I just felt it is worth pointing out that just because an option is apparently available on the screen, it does not mean it is available in reality, universally, for every single job posted, and that therefore the stuff on the screen cannot necessarily be relied upon 100% as an explanation for how it works.

Direct link

Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thank you May 21, 2009

Katalin

Thank you, firstly, for going to the trouble of answering the question. You're quite correct, the information was readily available all along.

I'm off now to find some ointment to rub on these bruised knuckles.

[Edited at 2009-05-21 17:07 GMT]

Direct link

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Hmmm May 21, 2009

Not required

The order and wording of these choices means that a new user, for example a direct client, is likely to assume a PRO certificate adds some kind of value. Yes, I can see the "or", but how many potential clients will do the same?

Most likely, they will see it as "best" that translator has both a credential AND a P. Just having some kind of proper credential will, in their eyes, be second best. And since they don't read the "or" they will assume that all matches have both.

[Edited at 2009-05-21 20:19 GMT]

Direct link

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is the Proz Certified P now being equated with credentials?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search