"Classic" job system now supports private job postings
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 16:27
SITE STAFF
Jun 4, 2009

The classic ProZ.com job system has been updated to support "private job postings", which allow outsourcers to make a job posting accessible only to a specific list of eligible service providers. A similar feature is part of the Connect platform; at the request of some outsourcers, this option has been added to the parallel classic job posting system as well.

In some circumstances, outsourcers who might otherwise post a job at ProZ.com refrain from doing so because they don't want t
... See more
The classic ProZ.com job system has been updated to support "private job postings", which allow outsourcers to make a job posting accessible only to a specific list of eligible service providers. A similar feature is part of the Connect platform; at the request of some outsourcers, this option has been added to the parallel classic job posting system as well.

In some circumstances, outsourcers who might otherwise post a job at ProZ.com refrain from doing so because they don't want their search activity to be publicly visible (ex. to their clients or competitors). Private job postings allow outsourcers to make these job opportunities available to eligible service providers at ProZ.com. While this might decrease the number of job postings that are visible to any particular user, the goal is that it will increase the overall number of jobs passed through ProZ.com, and improve the relevance of job postings accessible to each provider.

More information is available in the private job posting FAQs.

Best regards,

Jason
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:27
English to German
+ ...
Are these job postings vetted by ProZ.com staff? Jun 4, 2009

Thanks, Jason,
Could you please indicate whether these private job postings are being vetted by ProZ.com staff, in line with the rules for public job postings? There is no information about this in the FAQ.

Best regards,
Ralf

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Vetting handled the same way as non-private job postings Jun 5, 2009

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Could you please indicate whether these private job postings are being vetted by ProZ.com staff, in line with the rules for public job postings? There is no information about this in the FAQ.

Hi Ralf,

Vetting is handled exactly the same way as with non-private job postings. Private job postings are identical to other classic job postings, except that only eligible providers are allowed to access them.

Best regards,

Jason

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:27
English to German
+ ...
Thanks, Jason Jun 5, 2009

Thanks for clarifying.

Best regards,
Ralf

Andrei Yefimov
Andrei Yefimov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 23:27
English to Russian
+ ...
question Jun 5, 2009

Hello Jason,

I have a question regarding e-mail notification. I have read FAQ on private job posting and I am a bit confused about the following:

***Note that notifications are sent to users who have reported the same rate offered by the outsourcer or higher. Notifications are not sent for jobs offering a lower rate than that specified in your profile.***

So, these two say basically the same but in different ways, no? I receive notifications if my rate is t
... See more
Hello Jason,

I have a question regarding e-mail notification. I have read FAQ on private job posting and I am a bit confused about the following:

***Note that notifications are sent to users who have reported the same rate offered by the outsourcer or higher. Notifications are not sent for jobs offering a lower rate than that specified in your profile.***

So, these two say basically the same but in different ways, no? I receive notifications if my rate is the same or higher, so why do I not receive them when the job offers a lower rate? My rate is higher in this case too, as per the first statement, no?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

Andrei

[Edited at 2009-06-05 19:19 GMT]
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 17:27
SITE STAFF
Thanks Andrei Jun 5, 2009

Thanks for pointing this out, Andrei. The wording in the FAQ was confusing, I agree.

I updated http://www.proz.com/faq/3178#3178 to read as follows:

• Rates: translators will not be notified of jobs where the offered rate (if any) is below the minimum rate declared in their profile. (If necessary, currency conversion is performed using exchange rates from xe.com... See more
  • Thanks for pointing this out, Andrei. The wording in the FAQ was confusing, I agree.

I updated http://www.proz.com/faq/3178#3178 to read as follows:

• Rates: translators will not be notified of jobs where the offered rate (if any) is below the minimum rate declared in their profile. (If necessary, currency conversion is performed using exchange rates from xe.com.) You can edit or enter the rates declared in your profile here.

I hope this is clearer. If not, just let me know.

Best regards,

Jared ▲ Collapse

•  
    Katalin Horváth McClure
    Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
    United States
    Member (2002)
    English to Hungarian
    + ...
    Notification based on rates? What rates? Jun 5, 2009

Jared,
    I have a few questions about the notification based on rates.
    1. What happens with people who do not declare their rates in their profile? Are they getting the notifications?
    2. As far as I know, the general job posting form allows the rate to be specified in various units, such as per word, per character, per line, etc., but in my profile I can only specify rates PER WORD.
    What happens if the job posting specifies $0.08 per character and my minimum rate is $0.18
    ... See more
    Jared,
    I have a few questions about the notification based on rates.
    1. What happens with people who do not declare their rates in their profile? Are they getting the notifications?
    2. As far as I know, the general job posting form allows the rate to be specified in various units, such as per word, per character, per line, etc., but in my profile I can only specify rates PER WORD.
    What happens if the job posting specifies $0.08 per character and my minimum rate is $0.18 per word? (For Japanese source text, a rate of $0.08 per source character is actually higher than $0.18 per target English word.) If the system simply compares the figures, I would not get a notification, right?
    3. This relates to a third issue - rates can be specified based on the source text or based on the target text. The current job posting form does not allow specifying whether the rate is source or target based, and the profile rate input cannot be marked either. To stay with my example, a rate of $0.18 per word for Japanese-English translations refers to TARGET words, but I have no way of indicating this.

How are these differences going to be handled by the system?
    I am asking this because this is an issue that several of us have been talking about for years now, and it is a real problem because we simply cannot specify our rates in our profiles in a way that is clear and straightforward. What we have now is not conveying the right info, neither to the human eye, nor to a comparison routine in a program, such as this job notification procedure.

The solution would be to change the profile rate structure so we would be able to specify BOTH source and target rates in various units for each language pair. Going back to my example, for Japanese to English translations it is customary to have a "per source character" rate and also a "per target word" rate.
    The job poster would specify weather the rate is based on source or target, and the comparison would be done with the correct type of rate in the profiles.

Please comment, thanks
    Katalin
    Collapse

Jason Grimes
    Jason Grimes
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Rate filters only applied when translator's preference can be reasonably determined Jun 5, 2009

Hi Katalin,

To be clear, the purpose of the various job notification filters is to let translators receive notification only of jobs that might interest them. If a translator has specified that his minimum rate for English to French is .10 EUR per source word, the system will not bother him with notification of a job offered at .05 EUR per source word.

In cases where this can't be reliably determined (ex. the job rate is specified in units not available in the profile,
    ... See more
    Hi Katalin,

To be clear, the purpose of the various job notification filters is to let translators receive notification only of jobs that might interest them. If a translator has specified that his minimum rate for English to French is .10 EUR per source word, the system will not bother him with notification of a job offered at .05 EUR per source word.

In cases where this can't be reliably determined (ex. the job rate is specified in units not available in the profile, or the translator has not specified a minimum rate for that language pair), then the rate is not considered when determining whether that translator should receive that notification.

Please note that these filters are not new, they have been part of the job posting system for quite awhile. However, the job notification dashboard has recently been updated in an attempt to clarify how this works.

I hope this helps.

Jason
    Collapse

John Fossey
    John Fossey  Identity Verified
    Canada
    Member (2008)
    French to English
    + ...
    Determining eligible providers Jun 18, 2009

If I am told by the system that I am on the specific list of service providers for a private posting, is it possible to know whether I am on the list by automatic matching by the system or by deliberate choice of the outsourcer?

Jason Grimes
    Jason Grimes
    SITE STAFF
    TOPIC STARTER
    Will add indication of how you became an eligible provider Jun 23, 2009

John Fossey wrote:

If I am told by the system that I am on the specific list of service providers for a private posting, is it possible to know whether I am on the list by automatic matching by the system or by deliberate choice of the outsourcer?

Hi John,

This is not possible at this time, but I like the idea. I will add it to the development task list.

Thanks,

Jason

Geray Lv
    Geray Lv  Identity Verified
    China
    Local time: 04:27
    Member (2008)
    English to Chinese
    + ...
    what's Private job postings? Aug 21, 2009

Thanks.

Ward Whittaker
    Ward Whittaker  Identity Verified
    Brazil
    Portuguese to English
    Regarding setting of rates in profile Feb 26, 2010

I realize that this is an old post but I was taken to it directly from a job post and I have a comment that I think is relevent.
    I work in Brazil and given the fact the the Brazilian Real is half of the US dollar and 1/3 of the pound etc, I charge a different rate for Brazilian agencies than the rate I charge US and European agencies. Local work pays the bills and overseas work is the cream on top. This makes it very difficult to set my rates in my profile as there is no way a Brazilian ag
    ... See more
    I realize that this is an old post but I was taken to it directly from a job post and I have a comment that I think is relevent.
    I work in Brazil and given the fact the the Brazilian Real is half of the US dollar and 1/3 of the pound etc, I charge a different rate for Brazilian agencies than the rate I charge US and European agencies. Local work pays the bills and overseas work is the cream on top. This makes it very difficult to set my rates in my profile as there is no way a Brazilian agency would pay the equivalent rate that I charge overseas agencies. This also affects what I may or may not see of Private Postings. The system needs a more flexible way to set rates. An example would be to allow the translator to set a rate for local agencies in the country that the translator lives which the system would filter for jobs posted by local agencies (group 1) and an "all other" rate which would be used by all agencies outside that country (group 2) . As it is now, if I set a rate in my profile, I will be excluded by one group or the other who may choose to view my profile before approaching me, and as I said, this also impacts the Private Posting rate filter you use. Any ideas ?? regards, Ward
    Collapse

Natalia Mackevich
    Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
    United Kingdom
    Local time: 21:27
    English to Russian
    + ...
    Consider not setting rates visible to visitors. Feb 26, 2010

Why would you need showing your rates before you've seen the text? If someone contacts you directly of places a job offer, have your rates at hand and state them when necessary. Easy.

[Редактировалось 2010-02-26 14:06 GMT]

[Редактировалось 2010-02-26 14:07 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
    Monica Colangelo
    Monica Colangelo  Identity Verified
    Argentina
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    Cannot send quote on private job posting Dec 9, 2011

I received the email notifying me I had been shortlisted for a private job posting I will never be able to quote on. As I am no longer a paying member, I have to wait 12 hours and when the 12 hours have passed, it will either have been closed or I will have to pay US$ 1 to send in my quote. If I was not assigned one single job in the last five years I was a paying member, I do not think I stand a chance.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Classic" job system now supports private job postings

Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
    Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »