READ the job postings before responding....
Thread poster: Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:07
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sep 3, 2003

I have never ceased to be amazed by the amount of times that members, having been asked to respond to an e-mail address contained in a job posting, still insist on making a bid using the ProZ facility.

They are actually telling the prospective client that they don't understand written English.

Worth remembering in the future??

[Edited at 2003-09-03 02:59]

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:37
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
It will be interesting to know who actually does it Sep 3, 2003

Such Prozlers will be more often than not platinum members. Just a guess on my part. A non-platinum member like myself, who has 100 BrowniZ to lose will think twice about using the Proz.com facility. If possible this member will directly contact the poster at the id provided for the purpose, just as I do. A platinum member has, on the other hand, no such constraints. He uses the Proz.com facility, as in that case he saves valuable time, which he would otherwise have to spend in sending a full pr... See more
Such Prozlers will be more often than not platinum members. Just a guess on my part. A non-platinum member like myself, who has 100 BrowniZ to lose will think twice about using the Proz.com facility. If possible this member will directly contact the poster at the id provided for the purpose, just as I do. A platinum member has, on the other hand, no such constraints. He uses the Proz.com facility, as in that case he saves valuable time, which he would otherwise have to spend in sending a full presentation of himself in the email. His proz.com profile will do it for him. I don't see any other advantage for such a member in this method.
I have given this reasoning entirely based on logic, as I am not a platinum member. I am curious to look at the inputs by others in this connection. The acid test will be in seeing the biddings for a definite job. But is it possible? Fellow Prozlers, who have themselves posted job offers could talk on this matter with more authority.
Collapse

Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:07
German to English
Or the other way around Sep 3, 2003

Hi David,

from the other side, I have often heard from colleagues posting jobs using the ProZ interface that they have subsequently been bombarded by e-mail applications.

I have also posted one or two jobs here and have then received e-mails from people in completely unrelated subjects and not even with the same language combination. These are the people that go straight to the bin without being looked at.

Regards

Alan

Hector Calabia
Hector Calabia  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
I always read carefully the posting, yet... Sep 3, 2003

I think there's an ambiguity here. When I find a job with an e-mail address, which is not marked as "Non-bidding job", I wonder whether the poster really wants to be sent e-mail or if he or she will prefer the bidding feature. So, I bid, and I sometimes send an e-mail, fully aware of the annoying redundancy. I think posters should be instructed not to include e-mail addresses in bidding jobs; and they should not be allowed to post such addresses when they want to use the bidding featur... See more
I think there's an ambiguity here. When I find a job with an e-mail address, which is not marked as "Non-bidding job", I wonder whether the poster really wants to be sent e-mail or if he or she will prefer the bidding feature. So, I bid, and I sometimes send an e-mail, fully aware of the annoying redundancy. I think posters should be instructed not to include e-mail addresses in bidding jobs; and they should not be allowed to post such addresses when they want to use the bidding feature. Reversely, e-mail only jobs should always be marked as "non-bidding".

[Edited at 2003-09-03 09:33]
Collapse

agp124
agp124
United States
Local time: 00:07
Polish to English
+ ...
Thank you for the clarification Sep 3, 2003

The postings of a new jobs are very confusing specially for a beginer like myself. My understanding was that bidding has to go thru proz and than when I see an instruction to also respond by E-mail I do that as well. I could not understand what no bidding ment.
I would also like to see when bidder has been selected.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 00:07
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
It doesnt always mean that the person didn't understand Sep 4, 2003

When it's said to send an email I use to bid through ProZ too, explaining that I'm sending the email too. Why? Because through ProZ we keep a record. Of course I can also keep a record with my emails, but to have an equivalent one I must copy the job offer.
Of course I didn't imagine that it could be considered as a problem of understanding, otherwise I wouldn't have done it. Anyway I don't see where is the problem with that, because if I'm the client and don't want applications through Pr
... See more
When it's said to send an email I use to bid through ProZ too, explaining that I'm sending the email too. Why? Because through ProZ we keep a record. Of course I can also keep a record with my emails, but to have an equivalent one I must copy the job offer.
Of course I didn't imagine that it could be considered as a problem of understanding, otherwise I wouldn't have done it. Anyway I don't see where is the problem with that, because if I'm the client and don't want applications through ProZ, I don't have to look at them.

At the opposite, I see a problem. When the outsourcer asks to bid through ProZ, and that people don't do so, in order not to pay BrowniZ, or for whatever reason, the client can be upset with that, and can't do anything to avoid it unless closing his (her) mailbox. And it doesn't happen only if the client has written his (her) email, because if (s)he has a profile, (S)he's going to receive emails through it. Some even act as detectives and go to the website in order to find other contact means.

Another problem with those who don't follow the instructions is with those who don't translate the test. Or when the offer is in Spanish, the translation is into Spanish and they answer in English. Or many other cases...
Well, I'm going to keep my record away, now.
Collapse

Yakov Tomara
Yakov Tomara  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:07
English to Russian
+ ...
I hope I understand written English but... Sep 4, 2003

David Greatrix wrote:

I have never ceased to be amazed by the amount of times that members, having been asked to respond to an e-mail address contained in a job posting, still insist on making a bid using the ProZ facility.

They are actually telling the prospective client that they don't understand written English.

Worth remembering in the future??

[Edited at 2003-09-03 02:59]

As far as I understand the procedure, if an outposter wants to receive the replies via email only, he/she should make the job a non-bidding one, or at least ask bidders explicitly to use email ONLY. Otherwise I tend to think that both ways of bidding are acceptable.

Regards,
Yakov

[Edited at 2003-09-05 10:56]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

READ the job postings before responding....

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »