In what ways does ProZ.com membership lead to getting more work?
Thread poster: Ben Fields

Ben Fields  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:51
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 28, 2009

I would like to know more about how membership leads to getting more work.

I joined translator's base in 2005 and I got no responses on their job posts, I got nothing for my membership investment that year. Proz looks a lot more developed then translator's base however, I am still worried. I have never gotten a project from a forum like this, only from agencies. For instance, do more jobs get sent to Proz each day than are posted on the job board. Thanks!

Ben

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-07-28 12:39 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:51
English to French
+ ...
Some job posts are only available to paying members Jul 28, 2009

There are job posts where the poster has specificed that only paying members can apply. That is the only tangible difference between being a mere user and being a paying member as regards job posts (although paying membership has other benefits as well, like posts appearing in the forum in real time, unlimited access to the BlueBoard, etc.).

Being a paying member doesn't automatically attract jobs to you. You still need to make sure your profile is well-written, informative and explicit. There is a system that ranks you in the directory. Criteria abound, among which the number of KudoZ points you have, whether you have confirmed projects in your project history, whether you are a certified ProZ pro, etc. Furthermore, a potential client can enter detailed criteria in a directory search, which filters out any potential candidates who don't match those criteria. So, you need to make sure that the settings in your profile include the criteria your target clients would enter in the directory search.

It also helps to have a verified identity, diplomas, translation-related certification (e.g., American Translators Association), etc. I would not post a resume, though--there has been a lot of data theft and abuse lately, so I would instead state that my resume is available upon request.

Also, the best thing you can do is to create a website apart from ProZ so that people who happen on your profile can then visit your site, which is not regulated by ProZ and can therefore contain a lot more information for potential clients to see. Put the short and sweet information in your profile and the marketing lingo on your own website.

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:51
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
A bit of advice about your profile: rates Jul 28, 2009

fresiatap wrote:

I have never gotten a project from a forum like this, only from agencies. For instance, do more jobs get sent to Proz each day than are posted on the job board. Thanks!

Ben

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-07-28 12:39 GMT]

What Viktoria said is all good advice.

I would also add: decide on your rates: saying, in your profile "RATES CHARGED: the outsourcer's standard rate." , as you do, is, in my opinion, the same as saying "RATES CHARGED: whatever pittance you can spare, please take advantage of me".

Also: contact agencies yourself - having a good profile here is helpful, and can lead to customers finding you. Several good customers have contacted me after seeing my profile here. I've never got a job directly by bidding on the jobs posted in the job board, however, probably because I seldom bother to answer - the majority of jobs posted are from customers that are only interested in finding the cheapest translators available, and I'm definitely not interested in that segment of the market.

[Edited at 2009-07-28 20:32 GMT]

Tomasz Poplawski  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:51
English to Polish
+ ...
Market yourself! Jul 29, 2009

fresiatap wrote:
I joined translator's base in 2005 and I got no responses on their job posts, I got nothing for my membership investment that year.

I want to stress the following: I am not talking about your qualifications. I am only talking about what I see in your profile. It tells me the following:

I have no translation experience. In my entire life, I completed 8 translation jobs. I have such a vague idea about the industry that I cannot even make up some plausible experience and have to tell you about completely irrelevant things, like teaching.

Try to put yourself in a PM's shoes: how could he/she possibly send you work based on that?
The good new is that it is completely up to you to make it work. I can tell you from my own experience: a good profile in ProZ sells. I am neither the cheapest (far from it!), nor at the top of the pecking order in my language combination but people who found me at this website paid me enough to cover over five centuries of membership fees, and some became my best clients.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In what ways does ProZ.com membership lead to getting more work?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search