Translators, please be cautious of phishing Email job offer
Thread poster: Young Kim
Young Kim  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:47
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 11, 2009

Dear Translators and Linguists.

On the behalf of Asian Trans World, INC which is an official Translation Company located in Canada, we would like to make an important announcement to remind all dear translators and linguists to be extremely cautious of an impostor of Asian Trans World.
Recently, there was an impostor who is sending out the projects to linguists under our company's name.
This impostor's email address is asiantransworld@yahoo.com. It's very obvious that this is an personal email address to abuse our company's name.

Asian Trans World's official email address is info@asiantransworld.com or any address with the company domain of @asiantransworld.com.

This impostor keeps sending lots of jobs to some victim translators without paying one cent.
So far, we have received some reports from some linguists that they received fake job offers from the impostor from asiantransworld@yahoo.com. And some victime translators did some jobs for this impostor and didn't get paid at all.

Please be aware that this dirty impostor is taking our company's name illegally to cheat all the translators to do free work in order to make their own profit. We extremely disdain this kind of crime and we are undertaking further investigation on this serious matter.

So, please be extremely careful when you receive any email from asiantransworld@yahoo.com, since this account is a cheating account and in no ways to represent our company.

If anyone would like to assist us to find out this impostor or you have any clue to find him out, please don't hesitate to contact us at info@asiantransworld.com. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your attention on this.
Wish all the best.

Asian Trans World, INC 10th SEP 2009

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxPaul Daubreu
Local time: 08:47
French to German
+ ...
Not the first time... Sep 12, 2009

something like this is happening, if my memory serves me well.

No need to wonder why one good advice given to newcomers in our trade is: "Beware of free e-mail addresses used by outsourcers".

Thanks for the warning!

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:47
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I was approached, too. Sep 12, 2009

Thanks for the warning. I was approached for a Dutch-English translation last week by this person, but put off by the poor English in his email. Very poor English from a Canadian project manager doesn't bode well for a translation agency. I am grateful for the warning, because the email looked quite convincing and I hadn't even spotted the yahoo address.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators, please be cautious of phishing Email job offer

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search