Do non-native speakers of target language(s) have the chance to get jobs at ProZ.com?
Thread poster: Hana Lee
Hana Lee
Hana Lee  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:59
English to Korean
Nov 11, 2009

Hello,

I am new to this site and know there is a lot to learn about Proz.com. Most of all, I am glad to find such a good place to meet people on translation and interpretation.

My main pair is Korean to English where the native language is Korean as I have been working as one for this pair. Among recent job postings of my pair, some outsourcers restrict their jobs to a native speaker of the target language, which is English. While I understand where this comes from, I
... See more
Hello,

I am new to this site and know there is a lot to learn about Proz.com. Most of all, I am glad to find such a good place to meet people on translation and interpretation.

My main pair is Korean to English where the native language is Korean as I have been working as one for this pair. Among recent job postings of my pair, some outsourcers restrict their jobs to a native speaker of the target language, which is English. While I understand where this comes from, I would like to hear, if available, if non-native speakers of the target language would ever get a chance of getting such jobs at proz.com

I hope to be able to grow with or through proz.com and work as a Korean to English translator. Would you share your comments? Thank you all for your help in advance.

Regards,
Hana Lee

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-11-11 11:45 GMT]
Collapse

Andrei Yefimov
Andrei Yefimov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 03:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, you actually can Nov 11, 2009

I have got a couple of jobs from RU to ENG from Proz. Mostly certificates, which use the same model, and if you have been translating them for a while it is pretty easy.

HTH,
Andrei

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
In principle, yes Nov 11, 2009

This is especially true for language pairs where there are few native speakers of the target language who translate from the source language. I imagine that would be true for Korean. After all, the quality of your translations is what matters.

I looked at your profile, though, and the English there is not up to par. There are two grammatical errors, and the wording is odd in several places.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:59
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Basically, yes. Nov 21, 2009

There is a chance for non-native speakers of the stated target language to get a job here at ProZ.

If your CV speaks for itself as well as your references and specialities - either language pair/s or field/s - you should be able to get the job even without being a native speaker. The final decision lies with the client.

Regards
Thayenga

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I got much more jobs from Chinese to English Nov 21, 2009

than from English to Chinese, although my native tongue is Chinese.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do non-native speakers of target language(s) have the chance to get jobs at ProZ.com?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »