Thread poster: Catherine Piéret
Catherine Piéret
Catherine Piéret  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:25
English to French
+ ...
Oct 23, 2003

I use Proz.com since a few days and I'm very surprised to see that agencies or people who publish an ad on the site don't even have the courtesy to answer to the proposition.
Do we really make a communication job ?
Catherine

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:25
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Propositions? Oct 23, 2003

Hi Catherine,

I am not sure I have understood what you meant. Jobs are posted and interested freelancers place a bid via bid form or contact the job poster directly, according to what specified in the job posting.

Job posters choose then among the bidders. Only the freelancer(s) selected by the agency receive(s) a *congratulations!* notification. If the job poster is to be contacted directly, well... I doubt that all candidates receive a *thanks-for-your-mail* message f
... See more
Hi Catherine,

I am not sure I have understood what you meant. Jobs are posted and interested freelancers place a bid via bid form or contact the job poster directly, according to what specified in the job posting.

Job posters choose then among the bidders. Only the freelancer(s) selected by the agency receive(s) a *congratulations!* notification. If the job poster is to be contacted directly, well... I doubt that all candidates receive a *thanks-for-your-mail* message from the poster, but this happens all over the world, not only here.

Giuliana
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:25
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
The Internet lends itself to impersonal contacts Oct 23, 2003

cpieret wrote:
I use Proz.com since a few days and I'm very surprised to see that agencies or people who publish an ad on the site don't even have the courtesy to answer to the proposition.
Do we really make a communication job ?
Catherine

Consider that some staff at the agencies are extremely busy or overworked, while some others are just a bit... rude. Very often they are under pressure to find a translator and send out the job, and cannot answer personally to all offers received.

Certainly I never expected a thank you note or something similar when I posted an offer for a job.
Some agencies have answered, even when the job went to somebody else, but many didn't bother.

It may be because of the impersonal medium, emails, the Internet, the ProZ site, and some people forget that at the other side there are real persons, not robots typing a message...

Anyway, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
I wish you to have a nice experience using ProZ.com

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2003-10-23 17:22]

Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni
Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni  Identity Verified
Albania
Local time: 07:25
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
They always do that... Oct 23, 2003

Hello, every body

They do not answer even when they exchange several e-mails about rates, experience, complition date, even payment modalities... All of a sudden you hear no longer any thing from them, even if you send e-mails one after the other: "hello, we were talking about word counting and payment modalities"...

It seems you guys fil OK about it. It is true what Gianfranco said, they forget that on the other side there are real people dealing with bids, auctions, m
... See more
Hello, every body

They do not answer even when they exchange several e-mails about rates, experience, complition date, even payment modalities... All of a sudden you hear no longer any thing from them, even if you send e-mails one after the other: "hello, we were talking about word counting and payment modalities"...

It seems you guys fil OK about it. It is true what Gianfranco said, they forget that on the other side there are real people dealing with bids, auctions, modalities, rates, etc.

Thanks and kind regards
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:25
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
It's busyness Oct 24, 2003

at lest for us, we just cannot answer everyone and please accept my apologies for that- we daily exchange up to or more than 100 emails, many of them on complex issues demanding time, such as verification of translation of some terms in some past or future job, payment issues, lost, misplaced or misunderstood invoices, haggling to and from on deadlines, composition of POs, so we just have no time left to send Thank You notes.

So I think the issue is not uncourtesy, please understan
... See more
at lest for us, we just cannot answer everyone and please accept my apologies for that- we daily exchange up to or more than 100 emails, many of them on complex issues demanding time, such as verification of translation of some terms in some past or future job, payment issues, lost, misplaced or misunderstood invoices, haggling to and from on deadlines, composition of POs, so we just have no time left to send Thank You notes.

So I think the issue is not uncourtesy, please understand that Agencies have quite a different amount of communication than an individual freelancer.

Uldis
Collapse

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:55
English to Hindi
+ ...
It is very disturbing for freelancers! Oct 24, 2003

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

So I think the issue is not uncourtesy, please understand that Agencies have quite a different amount of communication than an individual freelancer.

Uldis

Well! It'd not be taken seriously if it was not meant with the professional purposes. Let just take yourself from freelancers' point of view, who are waiting for your reply and they are waiting till 2 or 3 days i.e. 48-72 hrs.?
Would you still like to hang freelancer in a kind of confusion?
I'd feel satisfied if agencies or job providers will change their mind positively after my reply.
Thanks in Advance!
HAPPY DIWALI TO ALL OF YOU!

PRAKAASH
(Freelance Translator for the languages English, Hindi, Nepali and Sanskrit to four of the same.)
[email protected]

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:25
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
You can not manage answer to all Oct 24, 2003

[/quote]
Well! It'd not be taken seriously if it was not meant with the professional purposes. Let just take yourself from freelancers' point of view, who are waiting for your reply and they are waiting till 2 or 3 days i.e. 48-72 hrs.?
I'd feel satisfied if agencies or job providers will change their mind positively after my reply.
Thanks in Advance!

PRAKAASH... See more
[/quote]
Thanks in Advance!

PRAKAASH
[/quote]

Dear Prakaash,

I can speak only for myself- if I would have contacted you, of course I would inform you on any further events, yes or no. But we do not have time to answer all bidders or applicants. I'd have to employ a special person, if I'd wanted to do that. It happens we receive up to 20 uncalled for CV's a day...

Uldis

[Edited at 2003-10-24 21:30]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Answer to job offers

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »