Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Quoting with browniz points will not be possible after January 1, 2010
Thread poster: Jared Tabor

Jared Tabor
Local time: 11:54
SITE STAFF
Dec 2, 2009

Dear members,

Effective January 1st, 2010, it will no longer be possible for non-members to use 100 browniz points to "purchase" the right to quote on a job. (It will still be possible for non-members to pay $1, from their ProZ.com wallets, for the right to quote.)

Quoting with browniz points is a remnant from the time in ProZ.com's history when most site users were not members, and few had money in their ProZ.com wallets. Today, nearly all quotes (90%) come from paying members (or from non-members who have cash in their wallets.)

This move is intended primarily to reward and encourage membership.

Regards,

Jared


 

Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:54
English to German
+ ...
Yeah no more Browniz no more useless quotings Dec 2, 2009

Dear Proz team,

thank you very much, this refrains me from fun quoting for all these low budget Proz.com jobs just to get rid of these Browniz. Since all the 8 years I have never ever seen a job at my actual rate.
You could also consider to stop giving Browniz for attending Powwows. What to do with 200 Browniz?


Best regards

Noe



Actually I am at 4000 Browniz now.

[Edited at 2009-12-03 07:56 GMT]


 

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
What to do with 200 Browniz? Dec 2, 2009

I have yet to figure out what to do with 100,000 Browniz.

Maybe a free cup of coffee?


 

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:54
French to English
+ ...
Browniz discount for conferences? Dec 3, 2009

As you can use Browniz to get a small discount on membership, would it not be possible to have a small discount on conferences with Browniz too? It might encourage more people to attend - and get rid of some Browniz at the same time!

Claire


 

Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:54
English to French
Is that really encouraging membership? Dec 3, 2009

Not for me, actually. Now, that's clear: Proz nous paie en monnaie de singe.

 

The Misha
Local time: 10:54
Russian to English
+ ...
Nor for me Dec 3, 2009

bohy wrote:

Not for me, actually. Now, that's clear: Proz nous paie en monnaie de singe.


To entice me to pay, you really need to offer me something of value, something I can't get otherwise. The dubious privilege of bidding on publicly announced, ridiculously low-paid jobs isn't it, not by a long shot. It would also help if you let up on the censorship.

Sure, I can appreciate your need for extra revenue. Why don't you take it a step further then and make it a members-only site altogether? This way you won't need to pretend any more that this moneymaking enterprise is some kind of a "community".


 

David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
No great loss... Dec 3, 2009

At least in my language combination, the average rate paid for work though this bidding platform is too low to bother with anyway; even with browniz it was a waste of time.

This move certainly won't encourage me to buy a membership...


 

Maya Gorgoshidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 18:54
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

MODERATOR
Dear Misha, Dec 3, 2009

Please take into account that ProZ.com is a for-profit company and it has right to form its own policy accordingly. On the other hand, it is a “community” of course, and we have considerable profit from it. In other words, we make much more money with help of ProZ.com then we would make without it. So why shouldn’t we support the site?

Best regards,
Maya


The Misha wrote:

bohy wrote:

Not for me, actually. Now, that's clear: Proz nous paie en monnaie de singe.


To entice me to pay, you really need to offer me something of value, something I can't get otherwise. The dubious privilege of bidding on publicly announced, ridiculously low-paid jobs isn't it, not by a long shot. It would also help if you let up on the censorship.

Sure, I can appreciate your need for extra revenue. Why don't you take it a step further then and make it a members-only site altogether? This way you won't need to pretend any more that this moneymaking enterprise is some kind of a "community".


[Edited at 2009-12-03 05:29 GMT]


 

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:54
French to German
+ ...
Overkill Dec 3, 2009

I quite remember that it has been said over and over again that agencies posting on ProZ.com may offer the rates they deem acceptable. It is clear to me that, in 90% of the cases and in my pairs, those rates are lower than the minimum I would accept.
I would leave it at that and not overkill the subject. My interest in becoming a paying member was clearly not being able to quote on jobs, so the BrowniZ payment was outdated/useless from the very beginning (and I mean Nov 2007) as far as I am concerned.

[Edited at 2009-12-03 07:27 GMT]


 

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:54
Dutch to English
+ ...
Making more money through Proz Dec 3, 2009

Maya Gorgoshidze wrote:

Please take into account that ProZ.com is a for-profit company and it has right to form its own policy accordingly. On the other hand, it is a “community” of course, and we have considerable profit from it. In other words, we make much more money with help of ProZ.com then we would make without it. So why shouldn’t we support the site?

Best regards,
Maya




Sorry Maya but this is not necessarily true. I can honestly say that I have never got a direct job through Proz. I do not 'profit' as such from being a member. It has certain benefits such as the Blue Board but I really do not make any more money because I am a member.


 

David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Who are you referring to? Dec 3, 2009

Maya Gorgoshidze wrote:

In other words, we make much more money with help of ProZ.com then we would make without it. So why shouldn’t we support the site?



It is not clear to me who the "we" is in this statement: I never made even a little money from this site, regardless of whether I was a paying member or not.

There is a lot of value in this site, but in my case it is certainly not tied to making money...

[Edited at 2009-12-03 06:33 GMT]


 

Maya Gorgoshidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 18:54
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

MODERATOR
Hi Marijke and David, Dec 3, 2009

Maybe I was not quite clear. So I will clarify what I mean. I said that 'we' (all registered users, including payer members and non-members) have considerable profit from ProZ.com – the for-profit company. And I think it is good to support them, because they work for 'us' so hard regardless we pay for them or not. Moreover, they have right to develop their own policy and this should be quite understandable IMHO.

Marijke Singer wrote:
Sorry Maya but this is not necessarily true. I can honestly say that I have never got a direct job through Proz. I do not 'profit' as such from being a member. It has certain benefits such as the Blue Board but I really do not make any more money because I am a member.

David Russi wrote:
It is not clear to me who the "we" is in this statement: I never made even a little money from this site, regardless of whether I was a paying member or not.

There is a lot of value in this site, but in my case it is certainly not tied to making money...


Directly or indirectly, both of you surely benefit from the site, don’t you? Otherwise you would not use it.

Kind regards,
Maya

[Edited at 2009-12-03 08:32 GMT]


 

David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Benefit yes, make more money, no Dec 3, 2009

Maya Gorgoshidze wrote:

Directly or indirectly, both of you surely benefit from the site, don’t you? Otherwise you would not use it.

Maya

[Edited at 2009-12-03 07:43 GMT]


Yes, I do benefit from the site, and I believe the site benefits from my participation. However, this is quite different from what your original statement that "we make much more money" from using the site, something that for me is simply not true.

Saludos,

David


 

Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:54
Portuguese to English
+ ...
How sad Dec 3, 2009

I'm appalled - I'm even thinking of pulling out of ProZ altogether.

 

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:54
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
How it is sad or appalling? Dec 3, 2009

What's so appalling about it? I really don't understand.

 
Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quoting with browniz points will not be possible after January 1, 2010

Advanced search






Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search