How about a Proz.com "Translation Jobs" add-on?
Thread poster: Vitals
Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 23:52
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Jan 27, 2010

Dear Proz.com staff and members!

I have just downloaded a new Kudoz Firefox add-on and enjoyed it.

I have often thought of another add-on which could be very useful to my mind - Translation Jobs notifier.

We all know that SPEED is sometimes an important factor in quoting at Proz.com jobs. Someone gets there before you and you lost your chance...

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a Firefo
... See more
Dear Proz.com staff and members!

I have just downloaded a new Kudoz Firefox add-on and enjoyed it.

I have often thought of another add-on which could be very useful to my mind - Translation Jobs notifier.

We all know that SPEED is sometimes an important factor in quoting at Proz.com jobs. Someone gets there before you and you lost your chance...

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a Firefox add-on which would pop-up every time a job in your translation pairs appears? Something like the WebMail Notifier add-on for Yahoo and Gmail in Firefox.

Right now you have to reload the Proz.com main page to see if there are any new jobs there. But a notifier like that could help see the new jobs appear even while you are working with other applications or other tabs in Firefox.

I do not know how technically possible it is, but to my mind that would help the translators a lot.

What do you all think of this? Is it technically possible on Proz.com?

Just an idea... Thoughts aloud...

Best regards,
Vitalijus
Collapse

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Do you think e-mail notifications are not enough? Jan 27, 2010

You can adjust your settings for notifications to be sent to your e-mail address every time a new job posting appears. Is it not enough?

Vitals
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Never knew... Jan 27, 2010

Hi, Natalia.

Didn't know there was a function like that. How do you do that?

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:52
English to Hungarian
+ ...
E-mail notification settings Jan 27, 2010

Hi Vitalijus,

If you move your mouse over your name at the top of this webpage, a frame appears with main menu items such as Site access, My account and settings, My email settings, etc.

Under "My email settings", click on "Job settings".

Check items such as "Classic" job posting notifications at the top (this is followed by language-pair-specific settings), as well as Overall Connect! settings and Settings for both cl
... See more
Hi Vitalijus,

If you move your mouse over your name at the top of this webpage, a frame appears with main menu items such as Site access, My account and settings, My email settings, etc.

Under "My email settings", click on "Job settings".

Check items such as "Classic" job posting notifications at the top (this is followed by language-pair-specific settings), as well as Overall Connect! settings and Settings for both classic and Connect jobs at the bottom of the page. If they are not turned on, turn them on.

Kind regards,
Attila
Collapse

Vitals
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 27, 2010

Thank you, Attila.

I will see how this works for me... Didn't intend to invent bicycles.

Kind regards,
Vitalijus

Elena Virgilieva
Elena Virgilieva
French to Russian
+ ...
notifications Jan 27, 2010

Why don't you just use an rss feed for that? It can be set to update every few minutes.

Vitals
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
RSS... Jan 27, 2010

Sorry for being so unaware of things, but I have never dealt with RSS feeds. Can someone explain to me how should I try to do that? I would be very grateful.

Jon Peck
Jon Peck  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:52
English
RSS job feeds, add-on Jan 27, 2010

Vitals,

Thank you for your feedback and interest, I appreciate it.

To access your personalized job feed RSS, visit

http://www.proz.com/jobs/

And click on the following icon: RSS iconRSS jobs feed. You will also see an icon in the address bar on the right.

Firefox will (by default) ask you what you want to do with the feed; I would recommend using Live Bookmarks. Click Subscribe Now, set a name and a Folder (I suggest Bookmarks Toolbar), then click Subscribe.

This will add the feed to your Bookmarks Toolbar which will poll the RSS feed on a regular interval.

As for the suggestion for a notifier (I use notifiers for other sites, so I can appreciate the utility), I've noted it and will investigate further.

Best regards,
Jon Peck
ProZ.com Development Manager

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: empty post
Vitals
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Works fine now! Jan 29, 2010

Dear Jon,

Thank you for your feedback and explanations! The RSS feed works fine now for me.

Will be glad to hear if the "Translation Jobs" add-on ever becomes a...reality!

Have a great day.

Best regards,
Vitalijus

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How about a Proz.com "Translation Jobs" add-on?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »