Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:53
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Dec 14, 2003

This is just my humble suggestion. I believe it would greatly improve ProZ.com's credibility and reputation if fishing was not allowed on this otherwise awsome site. Fishing, such as this recent "job" posting:

"Qtranslation, the leading localization company in Asia, is looking for Romanian, Polish, Hungarian, Ukranian resources to support it's business expansion."

I'm sorry, but I fail to understand how they have managed to receive seven bids already. Unless they (the b
... See more
This is just my humble suggestion. I believe it would greatly improve ProZ.com's credibility and reputation if fishing was not allowed on this otherwise awsome site. Fishing, such as this recent "job" posting:

"Qtranslation, the leading localization company in Asia, is looking for Romanian, Polish, Hungarian, Ukranian resources to support it's business expansion."

I'm sorry, but I fail to understand how they have managed to receive seven bids already. Unless they (the bids) all read like my posting here.

Again, I would love to see only real jobs posted on ProZ.com, and let the portfolio-builders (who never respond to your bids) fish elsewhere.
Collapse

PB Trans
PB Trans

Local time: 20:53
French to English
+ ...
My opinion... Dec 15, 2003

I think it is perfectly acceptable to post "potential" jobs or requests to establish databases. In fact, in the past month, I have already gotten translation jobs from 2 agencies that posted on ProZ a while ago. They kept my info in their database and when a suitable opportunity came up, I was offered the job.

Please do not get discouraged by the lack of response. In my opinion, it doesn't hurt to get your name "out there". And you can always refuse a job that does not interest you
... See more
I think it is perfectly acceptable to post "potential" jobs or requests to establish databases. In fact, in the past month, I have already gotten translation jobs from 2 agencies that posted on ProZ a while ago. They kept my info in their database and when a suitable opportunity came up, I was offered the job.

Please do not get discouraged by the lack of response. In my opinion, it doesn't hurt to get your name "out there". And you can always refuse a job that does not interest you or pay enough, but that is strictly up to you, of course.

Cheers!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:53
English to German
+ ...
Part of communications between outsourcers and providers Dec 15, 2003

Hi Ildiko,
You raise a valid issue, which has also been addressed in the Job Posting FAQ:

I don't have a specific job -- but I would like to increase my database of translators.

You may post once. Repeatedly posting calls for translators, without actual jobs, is regarded as intrusive by many professional service providers.

When posting a call for CVs for potential future projects, it is very important that you post complete information about your company and the types of jobs you tend to obtain. Your posting may be removed if such information is not provided.

As you can see, ProZ.com has set specific guidelines for such potential postings - beyond this, we felt it would be an unnecessary restriction if such postings were banned altogether. After all, it's in members' discretion whether or not they want to quote on it.

If you feel an outsourcer has violated these guidelines, please contact the Jobs Area coordinators - don't discuss specific postings or outsourcers in the forum, please.

Best regards, Ralf

[Edited at 2003-12-15 06:41]

Pat Jenner (X)
Pat Jenner (X)
Local time: 20:53
German to English
+ ...
Why not divide them up Dec 15, 2003

Why not have two job sections, one for specific jobs and one for providers who just want to expand their pool of translators.

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:53
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
two sections would make sense Dec 15, 2003

Pat Jenner wrote:

Why not have two job sections, one for specific jobs and one for providers who just want to expand their pool of translators.

Yes, I actually thought of that, I think it would work nicely. I don't know if it would increase the workload of ProZ.com staff though.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job postings should be used for actual jobs only

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »