Sample Text field: when is it required as a test translation?
Thread poster: Cristina Heraud-van Tol

Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 23:52
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 3, 2010

The new job posting system has a field called "Sample Text", which actually was always there but before it included the following direction: "Sample text: Applicants must translate the following text:", so I always did and sent my sample, together with my application. But now, the request to translate that short sample is not there. You can see a phrase posted by the job poster, but you have no idea if this one is for you to translate or just to have an idea of the text.

What should you do in such case then?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-05-03 16:39 GMT]

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:52
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
New system May 3, 2010

Cristina,

It`s the new job posting system. You must have seen it or been notified.

Many colleagues insisted on having a sample before quoting to have an idea what the text is or looks about. That box is to insert the sample text to be transalted as a test or just for the translator to see. The job poster may choose either option now.

Peru
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi May 3, 2010

Walter Landesman wrote:

Cristina,

It`s the new job posting system. You must have seen it or been notified.

Many colleagues insisted on having a sample before quoting to have an idea what the text is or looks about. That box is to insert the sample text to be transalted as a test or just for the translator to see. The job poster may choose either option now.

Normally, nowadays the posters are just writing a part of the text without saying anything extra, so it is not clear to me if they are expecting the translation of a such a text back (because they might remember that in the old posting system translators had to do it). Anyway, I think I will continue doing so, so they can check my work. Greetings!

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not so May 3, 2010

No, Cristina.
If it says "sample text" it is just that, a sample for you to see.

If a test is required, it will read ""text to be translated by the applicant" or something like that.

I beleive they can always check my work on the samples in my profile. That`s why I include samples of previous jobs in my profile.

Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Both options are available, when required the field is labeled as such May 3, 2010

Hello Cristina,

As Walter indicates (thanks Walter!), job posters can now choose to include a sample text with the option of making it a required test translation. When the test translation has been required, this requirement will be labeled. The two different options will appear in the job like this:

Best regards,

Jared

Colin Brady
Argentina
French to English
+ ...
Added some text to clarify May 3, 2010

Hi Cristina,

Walter and Jared are right, but I understand your confusion. I just added a line of text that explains when it is NOT required to translate the sample text.

Thanks for posting.

Peru
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 3, 2010

Thanks to all of you!

Roberto Lipani  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:52
Italian to English
+ ...
The sample translation May 3, 2010

Good evening to you all.
I subscribed a few days ago to this website and am just trying to get accustomed. My experience as a translator is linked to literature first of all (which I studied at University) and to my current job (I'm in charge of technical documentation for a Company which deals with test systems and selective soldering systems).
So, my field of activity is very specialized, associated to software description and electronics, even though I can handle different subjects, as many other colleagues here.
Can somebody explain better what is (in this context) a sample transation? Is it a text which I can choose by my own initiative or is a text provided by the job poster (i.e. on purpose for a specific translation?)
I thank you all in advance, I think it's a good experience to be here

Roberto Lipani

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sample Text field: when is it required as a test translation?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search