Thread poster: TTilch
TTilch
TTilch  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:09
English to German
+ ...
Jan 7, 2004

Hi,

Earlier on you used to hide the job offer texts once the job was closed. Now this is no longer the case. I would appreciate it if the texts would be hidden once the job is closed, since many people misuse the information displayed for spam, especially e-mail addresses that appear in the text.

Best regards,

Tanja

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Good point Jan 7, 2004

Hallo Tanja,
I'm not sure whether or not this was on purpose, but will bring this to the attention of ProZ.com staff.

Best regards, Ralf

TTilch
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Ralf Jan 7, 2004

>I'm not sure whether or not this was on
> purpose, but will bring this to the
> attention of ProZ.com staff.

Thanks, Ralf. I noted that I get an increased number of spam mails after posting jobs. Since I use a special e-mail address for job postings, I know where they "grabbed" my address.

Best regards,

Tanja

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:09
Dutch to English
+ ...
I would like to be able to see the text if the job is closed Jan 7, 2004

but I can understand your frustration that you receive unsolicited emails. I hope that there is a solution to this problem that eliminates spam to you.

Perhaps only hiding the contact information (not the name but only the email address or fax, etc) would be an option.

I wish the system would allow me to eliminate bids that I have made through the system that are no longer of use to me. Keeping 50 of them visible is too much. I would like to keep the ones that I h
... See more
but I can understand your frustration that you receive unsolicited emails. I hope that there is a solution to this problem that eliminates spam to you.

Perhaps only hiding the contact information (not the name but only the email address or fax, etc) would be an option.

I wish the system would allow me to eliminate bids that I have made through the system that are no longer of use to me. Keeping 50 of them visible is too much. I would like to keep the ones that I have open or still expect to hear something from.

I wonder whom I should address this issue to?

Lucinda
Collapse

TTilch
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
past postings Jan 7, 2004

Dear Tayfun,
Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

Some freelancers send CVs and job applications to agencies to market their services whether they find it in jobs section or in blue board, if that is interpreted as a spam, it is not.

Unsollicited e-mail applications are not always welcome, though, especially if the job poster pointed out that he does not wish to receive any non current job related applications. One should not forget that the recipient has to bear the cost for receiving unwanted mail. It is ok to send them via "snail" mail, but I do not consider it good practice to flood other people with mails they do not wish to receive. Very often these applicants do not even take the time to glance at the homepage of a company in order to find out if they really need e.g. chinese-arabian translations - what's the use of sending such an application if it clearly states that they only work in 4 languages? Or if their job sections clearly states that they do not have any need for further translators at the moment? I think that information like this should be respected.

But apart from this I also receive "real" spam - i.e. lots of nonsense mails due to the fact that my e-mail address is given for receiving specific applications. And this is really annoying.

Best regards,

Tanja

TTilch
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Perhaps only hiding the contact information ... Jan 7, 2004

Dear Lucinda,

Lucinda Hollenberg wrote:
but I can understand your frustration that you receive unsolicited emails.

I get lots of spam like "Send holiday eye-catching emails or newsletters" as well as non asked for applications for the strangest language combinations though I clearly point out that I do not wish to receive this kind of offers. I feel that this request should be respected.

Perhaps only hiding the contact information would be an option.

This might help somewhat. I do not like the online bidding system too much because I have to log in and out all the time. I rather prefer to have the project related e-mails in my inbox.

Best regards,

Tanja

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
About the new appearance of the jobs board, Jan 8, 2004

I also find it useful to have the opportunity to get to an agency's website, know in which areas of specialty jobs are being posted, what number of biddings a job posting receives in a particular area and/or in a particular price range, so forth. Therefore, I am happy with the new system on jobs board, personally. My only complaint is that some outsourcers forget or neglect to close their posting after the job is assigned, but I don't think anything could be done about this.

For me,
... See more
I also find it useful to have the opportunity to get to an agency's website, know in which areas of specialty jobs are being posted, what number of biddings a job posting receives in a particular area and/or in a particular price range, so forth. Therefore, I am happy with the new system on jobs board, personally. My only complaint is that some outsourcers forget or neglect to close their posting after the job is assigned, but I don't think anything could be done about this.

For me, the rule to contact an agency is to check first if they state it clearly on their website that they expect CV's from freelancers. Otherwise, I send a short e-mail indicating my languages, years of experience and areas of expertise, and ask if they would be interested to receive my CV. And it shouldn't be forgotten that even agencies with a limited number of working languages usually announce at their websites that for a language pair they cannot offer directly, they will be glad to refer the potential client to competent colleagues.

On the other hand, I am quite aware that there are a many who have enough civil courage to send everyone attachments; even I am receiving e-mails with CV's attached, despite it's obvious that I'm a freelancer. It's neither possible to change this altogether, nor to root out spam which may flood our inboxes in many different forms from the hottest girls on planet to the miraculous ways of making $ 5,000 a week just by sitting in a chair and clicking on web pages. As they keep up with the action, we will be counteracting with relevant software, individual mailbox settings, etc. I, personally, do not think it's a good idea to put restrictions on a public board with a view to stop spam.

Best wishes to all.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please hide the text of closed job offers

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »