Interpreter postings not specifying location
Thread poster: Marla Sanchez
Marla Sanchez  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:42
Italian to English
+ ...
Jan 27, 2004

A suggestion for posting an interpreting job, especially for one hour consecutive assignments (like the one today in Wichita) where the agency ONLY wants a locally-based interpreter: Include location in the job title when you post, that way we busy interpreters won't bother opening it up if we live elsewhere.
As a simultaneous conference interpreter I often travel to cities where the meeting takes place (all expenses paid), so it's normal for me to assume that if a company needs 4 interpreters in Chicago, they'll pay for me to come there.
Also, the postings for interpreters could me more precise listing the type of interpreting involved in addition to the language requirements. Something like, "medical interpreting in Cedar Rapids", "consecutive interpreter for deposition in Tampa."
Anything PROZ could do? Perhaps the form job posters fill out could require more precision?
Thanks,
Marla Sanchez-Pietton

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:42
English to German
+ ...
Difficult to catch all Jan 27, 2004

Hi Marla,
Thanks for your suggestions. Thing is, it's very difficult to devise instructions that would work for each and every type of job posted... That said, we might think of some sort of checklist for interpreting/translation jobs that could be displayed to job posters. What do you think?

Best regards, Ralf

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
2 separate checklists? Jan 28, 2004

"Either" interpretation "or" translation. When you choose interpretation, you come up with other possibilities more tailored to the field (no word count, mandatory free-text location field, hour/day rates, per diem yes/no).

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Good thinking, Ceci... Jan 28, 2004

Parrot wrote:

"Either" interpretation "or" translation. When you choose interpretation, you come up with other possibilities more tailored to the field (no word count, mandatory free-text location field, hour/day rates, per diem yes/no).

...says the interpreter half of me

Steffen

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Sure... Jan 28, 2004

...sorry, should have worded that more clearly. I was thinking about two separate checklists, of course...

Best, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreter postings not specifying location

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search