Thread poster: Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:00
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 25, 2010

This proposal is a follow-up to my post of last August 2nd (http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_job_systems/176923-facing_facts:_coming_to_terms_with_the_limitations_of_the_jobs_board.html).

Given the fact—now apparently conceded by all—that the Jobs Board caters overwhelmingly to those willing to work for extremely low rates, it strikes me that it would be appropriate for proz.com to be explicitly supportive of those like myself who do not want involvement with the Jobs Board and mass mailings generated through this site.

To this end, proz.com could introduce some mechanism whereby those "opting out" would be excluded from such lists. I personally find such mailings to be as worthless and time-wasting as most of the postings on the Jobs Board--perhaps even more so, given that receiving an e-mail with an "offer" tends to more strongly foster the illusion that the recipient has a real chance of obtaining the work in question. I think we all know that such mailings are (like the postings on the Jobs Board) designed to solicit extremely low bids, so anyone hoping to work at even a “bargain rate” is really wasting their time by responding to them.

We have also recently seen that some of these mailings are downright fraudulent.

To me it would seem "fair and balanced" (apologies to Fox News) for the site to offer this option (preferably along with some sort of prominently placed statement on the profile page (e.g., a text in colored, larger font that reads "DIRECT CONTACT ONLY" with accompanying text in smaller font that says something like "For professional reasons, I have chosen not to respond to offers on the Jobs Board or to be included in mass-mailing lists generated through this site. If you are interested in using my services, please contact me directly **here** [and generate a hyperlink to the message screen on the word **here**]).

I understand that there is a low-end translation market, and tools like the Jobs Board and mass mailings seem to do a wonderful job at enabling matching at this low end. So, in addition to facilitating business within these nether regions of the translation world, how about proz.com lending a hand to those of us who consider ourselves to have acquired a level of expertise and professionalism that makes us feel insulted by involvement with that particular sector of the market.

I think this would be fair. What does everyone else think?

Direct link Reply with quote

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Jobs Dashboard and e-mail filters Oct 25, 2010

Hi Robert,

I think you already have those options, don't you?

For instance, you can set the Jobs dashboard in your profile not to receive notifications. It is readily accessible when you hover your cursor over your name at the top of any ProZ page, and through the settings tab in your profile. And, for good measure, here is the link:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=dashboard&sp_mode=jobs

As for those 100-profiles per message "mass mailings" sent directly through your profile, again, you have a setting available, with four options:

Allow anyone to send me messages via my profile page
Allow only ProZ.com users who are logged in to send me messages via my profile
Allow only logged-in ProZ.com members to send me email via my profile page
Allow no one to send me messages via my profile page

And you can turn off notifications for either or both "standard" and "Connect" jobs.

You can even just plain and simply "unsubscribe" completely from any messages at all, including Kudoz and Forum notifications. The e-mail settings are under "general settings" on the dropdown menu, or, on the "Settings" page of your profile, under the "Notification settings" in the column to the left.

Yolanda B.

Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Yolanda Oct 25, 2010

Thank you for your reply.

First, I do not currently receive Jobs Notifications and this was not what my post was about.

As for settings to eliminate receiving mass e-mails, I see two problems:

1.)
I very much do want to receive e-mails from non-members/users of the site through my proz.com profile that have to do with bonafide job offers, and changing my setting to eliminate receipt of such messages (as you suggest) would thus be counterproductive;

2.)
To my understanding, at least some of those who perpetrate the mass mailings are corporate members or registered users of the site, so even changing the setting to only allow receipt of mails from members/users would not eliminate the problem.

I therefore do not believe that the system as presently constituted is capable of addressing the problem I presented in my original post.

[Edited at 2010-10-25 15:11 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Offer an "opt-out" option for mass mailings generated through this site

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search