Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:15
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 6, 2004

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I had a suggestion regarding a new feature for the Proz job system.

1) Incorporate some kind of system that would allow Platinum members to display that they are currently available for work (everyday when they log-on to Proz.com ??)

2) An outsourcer posts a job (Italian to English for example) and receives 100 bids. They find 20 of the translators acceptable, but only require one translator for this particular job. However, they have the option (checkbox??) to place the other translators into a “preferred translators” file.

3) Two months later, this same outsourcer again finds a need for an Italian to English translator and posts the job on Proz. However, this time, as soon as they enter the language pair, they are informed that 4 out of the 20 translators they have already approved are currently available for work and the outsourcer is asked if they would they like to contact these translators first (automatically through Proz mail) before placing the job on the Proz system.

4) Of course, outsourcers could also place translators into their “preferred translators” list via a translator’s profile page.

5) Outsourcers lists would be private, but translators would have the option to see which outsourcers have “bookmarked” them as well as the option to delete themselves from an outsourcers list of “favorites” if so desired.

6) This has the additional advantage that translators would have to log into Proz at least once a day in order to indicate their availability.

[Edited at 2004-04-06 17:19]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:15
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Apr 6, 2004

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your suggestions. I have moved this topic to ProZ.com Job Systems, to keep all jobs-related suggestions in the same forum.

Best regards, Ralf

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:15
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Excellent idea! Apr 6, 2004

Jeff, splendid idea. The first thing I open in the morning is ProZ anyway. So, if I do not indicate availability to work on a given day, I'm enjoying a well-deserved vacation. Sounds good to me.

Still, I think that the option should remain to have job offers be delivered to your email address with the option to turn it off. Just like it is now.

I am looking forward to see if this is a feasible option.

Thanks for the suggestion! I hope that it will be installed.

Lucinda

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator Availability / Outsourcer Bookmarks

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search