Thread poster: Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:13
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 2, 2011

I hereby propose that the words "exciting" and "fantastic" in postings on the Jobs Board be limited to those opportunities that offer a rate of at least three times the average. And for each exclamation point used, this requirement should be increased by an increment of one.

Or do the people who write such copy really believe that the prospect of doing tedious, routine tasks at below-average rates really constitutes an "exciting" and "fantastic" opportunity for anyone except the most naive and deluded?

[Edited at 2011-12-02 13:28 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 07:13
Japanese to English
Agreed! Dec 2, 2011

Robert Forstag wrote:

I hereby propose that the words "exciting" and "fantastic" in postings on the Jobs Board be limited to those opportunities that offer a rate of at least three times the average. And for each exclamation point used, this requirement should be increased by an increment on one.

Or do the people who write such copy really believe that the prospect of doing tedious, routine tasks at below-average rates really constitutes an "exciting" and "fantastic" opportunity for anyone except the most naive and deluded?

HAHAHAHA!!! I concur, good sir!

Say listen, I have this fabulous opportunity for you...

Claudia Cherici  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:13
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
How true Dec 2, 2011

Robert, I'm with you on this (I was just about to add an exclamation point but then thought better of it...)

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:13
English to German
+ ...
Such as this one? Dec 2, 2011

Alison Sabedoria  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Useful as alarm bells Dec 2, 2011

Tom Sawyer offering his friends the "opportunity" to whitewash the fence springs to mind.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
One born Dec 2, 2011

Robert Forstag wrote:

... do the people who write such copy really believe that the prospect of doing tedious, routine tasks at below-average rates really constitutes an "exciting" and "fantastic" opportunity for anyone except the most naive and deluded?

Unfortunately, it seems they do. And lamentably, it seems that in many cases they are right.

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Alarm bells Dec 2, 2011

Wordeffect wrote:

Tom Sawyer offering his friends the "opportunity" to whitewash the fence springs to mind.

My thoughts exactly: These words appearing in job descriptions are very useful alarm bells.

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Absolutely Dec 2, 2011

efreitag wrote:

Wordeffect wrote:

My thoughts exactly: These words appearing in job descriptions are very useful alarm bells.

The louder the marketing claims ("shouting"), the lower the likelihood that something reasonable or worthwhile is being advertised.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proposal re use of words "exciting" and "fantastic" in job postings

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search