Thread poster: Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:02
English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2012

(I was hesitating between posting this here and at Getting Established, but since this is a ProZ-specific question I think it’s more appropriate to post it here.)

In many job postings, we see a delivery deadline that is often just an hour (or say 4 hours) after the quoting deadline. This gives only an hour to do the translation, but often it’s obvious that the work will take more than an hour.

I assume that when the quoting deadline hits, the outsourcer will also ne
... See more
(I was hesitating between posting this here and at Getting Established, but since this is a ProZ-specific question I think it’s more appropriate to post it here.)

In many job postings, we see a delivery deadline that is often just an hour (or say 4 hours) after the quoting deadline. This gives only an hour to do the translation, but often it’s obvious that the work will take more than an hour.

I assume that when the quoting deadline hits, the outsourcer will also need to first spend some time to choose a translator, contact the translator, finalize the scope of the work, etc. That will leave the translator only, say, 30 minutes to finish the job.

Which really does not make sense at all. So I must be missing something obvious. So I’m wondering: What does the “delivery deadline” actually mean? Or is there more to this that I’m misinterpreting? Thanks much for any pointers.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:02
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Two ideas Feb 21, 2012

Ambrose Li wrote:
1. In many job postings, we see a delivery deadline that is often just an hour (or say 4 hours) after the quoting deadline.
2. I assume that when the quoting deadline hits...

1. I think sometimes there is no fixed delivery deadline, so the job poster simply selects something from the dropdown list at random.

2. I suspect most job posters don't wait for the quoting deadline before awarding the job.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:02
Miracles Feb 21, 2012

Ambrose Li wrote:

That will leave the translator only, say, 30 minutes to finish the job.

Yes, translators are miracle-workers.

In reality, many jobs have already be assigned long before the quoting deadline. Depending on how soon I see the job after it has initially been posted, I may or may not quote. If I see that, say, 10 people have already quoted, I may not send my quotation at all.

My interpretation is that this discrepancy in dates and time is not so much bad planning on the part of the job poster, but rather a reflection of the job-poster's desire to receive responses from as many translators as possible, and to enter those translators into his/her database.

Alison Sparks (X)
Alison Sparks (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:02
French to English
+ ...
Yeah me too Feb 21, 2012

I was wondering about this as well. I know we're all brilliant, but really...........

I must say, like Allison, I don't even consider quoting if there are already more than ten quotes. Likewise if they want US English. I think Samuel's right about the jobs being decided even before the quote deadline.

I've also been advised that you get much more work from the directory than from job postings. Also, that for lots of the postings they're looking for a cheap and fast
... See more
I was wondering about this as well. I know we're all brilliant, but really...........

I must say, like Allison, I don't even consider quoting if there are already more than ten quotes. Likewise if they want US English. I think Samuel's right about the jobs being decided even before the quote deadline.

I've also been advised that you get much more work from the directory than from job postings. Also, that for lots of the postings they're looking for a cheap and fast turn around.

I'm told the best option is to be a full member of ProZ so you can quote whilst it's still members only, as well as appearing in the first listings of the directory.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Meaning of the “delivery deadline”

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »