Could outsourcers please state subject of translation???
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:51
Czech to German
+ ...
Jul 16, 2004

The following has been posted just now:

http://www.proz.com/job/58631

Job: French to German Product Manual Translation Job to offer
Posted: 8:46am

Job type: Translation

Languages: French>German

Job description:

We have a product manual to translate from French to German.

Must be Native Translators<
... See more
The following has been posted just now:

http://www.proz.com/job/58631

Job: French to German Product Manual Translation Job to offer
Posted: 8:46am

Job type: Translation

Languages: French>German

Job description:

We have a product manual to translate from French to German.

Must be Native Translators
Helpful reference

If interested, please send your resumes and best rate in USD to us

[email protected]

Thank you

Volume and pricing: 2280 words
Payment: Paypal

Requirements:

Delivery deadline: 5:00pm Aug 16, 2004
Additional requirements: - Yrs of experience
- Knowledge in field

How can I bid without knowing what it is all about?! If outsourcers require "knowledge in field" they should at least state which field they are talking about - just saying it's a manual is a bit meager!
So would it be possible to insert a button or the like into the job-posting requiring the outsourcer to indicate which subject the job is about?

Thanks in advance!

Charlotte
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Jul 16, 2004

...to ProZ.com Job Systems, because we're collecting suggestions for the new Job Posting Form.

Sadly, there are outsourcers who don't bother to read the notes on the Job Posting Form...

Details of your job

Discuss:

- Subject of text
- Source materials
- Helpful references
- Software/OS required
- Desktop publishing
- Project timeline

...or the Job Posting FAQ:

When posting a job, it is important to be as descriptive as possible with regard to the nature of the work, as well as your requirements for service providers.

Sigh...
I contacted the job poster.

Best regards, Ralf

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Ralf! Jul 16, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Sadly, there are outsourcers who don't bother to read the notes on the Job Posting Form...

Most people don't like to read things they think are not necessary... That's why I'd suggest an "imperative" button for the specifying of the field without which no posting would be possible.

Charlotte

Just saw the poster has changed his offer - thanks, Ralf!

[Edited at 2004-07-16 14:55]

BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
I quite agree Jul 16, 2004

I think both of these suggestions are great. If it's any consolation, it happens also when they call me for a project..."how much do you charge for XX amount of words" HELLOOO...what is it about?

Regards,
Belkis

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:51
English to Spanish
Oh, yes Jul 16, 2004

I am quite tired of receiving messages regarding job postings for a "technical translation." I cannot envisage any serious translator responding to a job posting that may be for anything from a lawnmower user guide to a paper on nuclear power plant design.

I think this is tied to that old prejudice: if you can speak a language, you can translate anything written in that language. However, job posters should be aware (really aware) that they will get much better responses if they ref
... See more
I am quite tired of receiving messages regarding job postings for a "technical translation." I cannot envisage any serious translator responding to a job posting that may be for anything from a lawnmower user guide to a paper on nuclear power plant design.

I think this is tied to that old prejudice: if you can speak a language, you can translate anything written in that language. However, job posters should be aware (really aware) that they will get much better responses if they refine their proposals.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could outsourcers please state subject of translation???

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »