Can I report non-payment of paid test on the Blue Board?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 24, 2012

Hello

If I had agreed with an agency that a test translation is to be a paid test translation (and the agency actually did say so), and I get no payment from them, can I log this on the Blue Board? It is, after all, a paid job that was accepted by the client as something that will be invoiced for.

Now, what if I said to an agency that I'm willing to do a free test on the condition that they give me feedback within a week, and that if they don't, it will be considered a
... See more
Hello

If I had agreed with an agency that a test translation is to be a paid test translation (and the agency actually did say so), and I get no payment from them, can I log this on the Blue Board? It is, after all, a paid job that was accepted by the client as something that will be invoiced for.

Now, what if I said to an agency that I'm willing to do a free test on the condition that they give me feedback within a week, and that if they don't, it will be considered a paid test, and they say "yes" to that, and they then fail to provide feedback even after several reminders, and then refuse to pay the invoice on the grounds that it wasn't a paid test, would it be okay for me to log this on the Blue Board?

If not, what must be in place for me to be able to do that? In other words, what kind of communication or agreement must there be between the client and me before I'm allowed to post about them on the Blue Board?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:03
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
I don't see why not Oct 24, 2012

If the circumstances are as described by you and you have emails or similar proofs to back up your statement, then you can make an entry in blue board.

Regards,
N. Raghavan

[Edited at 2012-10-24 20:22 GMT]

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:33
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A paid test can be considered commissioned work Oct 24, 2012

Hello Samuel,

If you agreed that the test would be paid for, it can be considered commissioned work and, if it was delivered completely and on time, any LWA feedback entry you make for it would be in line with the first condition specified on Blue Board rule #2, http://www.proz.com/siterules/blue_board_bb_blueboard/2#2 . This would also apply if the agreement was tha
... See more
Hello Samuel,

If you agreed that the test would be paid for, it can be considered commissioned work and, if it was delivered completely and on time, any LWA feedback entry you make for it would be in line with the first condition specified on Blue Board rule #2, http://www.proz.com/siterules/blue_board_bb_blueboard/2#2 . This would also apply if the agreement was that the test would be paid only if feedback was not provided. Of course, it will be necessary to prove that this was agreed upon. This is usually done by supplying the correspondence exchange between service provider and outsourcer to site staff.

Best regards,
Alejandro
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:33
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not that it helps now, but an idea for the future Oct 25, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

Now, what if I said to an agency that I'm willing to do a free test on the condition that they give me feedback within a week, and that if they don't, it will be considered a paid test, and they say "yes" to that, ...

A better way to do it to say that you ARE going to invoice for this job, and if they provide you with feedback within the time you grant them for payment (2 weeks, 30 days, whatever your terms) then you cancel/void the invoice. If they don't provide feedback, the invoice stays valid.
If instead of feedback they provide you with work, you can either cancel the invoice, or deduct it from the next one.

If they don't agree to this at the beginning, you know right away whom you are working with.
Katalin

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is commissioned work! Oct 25, 2012

Full stop. A paid test is a job like any other if you have issued an invoice for it. Post the Blueboard entry. Good luck!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, the question was hypothetical Oct 25, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
Post the Blueboard entry. Good luck!

Well, the question was hypothetical, and was prompted by this thread.

bartvbe
bartvbe  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 22:33
English to French
+ ...
client non payment Oct 26, 2012

Hello all,
Im in a pickle here. I have been waiting for payment now 85 days overdue. I did a project for a blue board member on here and he is refusing to pay and now playing dead since about one month.
I translated 21k words in two days for this guy ( which meant lots and lots of hours)
He only wanted to pay for 17k words but as the money is short at this time, i need to take whatever i can.
The text was very technical and he knows that i am not a technical translator an
... See more
Hello all,
Im in a pickle here. I have been waiting for payment now 85 days overdue. I did a project for a blue board member on here and he is refusing to pay and now playing dead since about one month.
I translated 21k words in two days for this guy ( which meant lots and lots of hours)
He only wanted to pay for 17k words but as the money is short at this time, i need to take whatever i can.
The text was very technical and he knows that i am not a technical translator and this definately shows on my wordrate as well.
So he accepted me for the project and the PO in his email stated that the terms and conditions were to deliver the project on time ( that was all he said.. nothing more)

Once i have send over the full file he came back to me in two days Shouting and screaming saying the translation is crap etc etc etc.. Too many errors etc...

I told him that i wanted to review/proofread again but he kept on shouting it is not good.. Then when i asked him the last time if i need to proofread he said he will do it himself and he is not going to pay me for the crap translation.

Then after waiting for two days he send me the file that he proofread and i could see that except from changing some wording, the file was exactly as mine.
I admitted that there are some mistakes in there as i told him before he accepted me that i am not a professional technical translator ( as if i were i would have asked 0.10-0.15€ per word as now it was only 0.04€)
So basically he owed me 680€ for the project but played dead ever since.
I was even so gentle as i really could need this cash in offering a settlement in full for some mistakes done. Now the invoice is still open for 50% of the invoice and still this is not paid.
Even offering 50% of the invoice was very hard for me as i have spend the hours needed to do that translation.. Took me a weekend with really only a few hours sleep in total so i want to be paid for my work done.
I have about 100 emails ( client and me) where you can see all the proof on him playing dead and doing nothing else then shouting.
I really dont know what to do next
i have done a LWA already and he replied on it saying that because of the bad translation he lost the client and is not going to be paid.
I have asked him for the summary of the errors that he claimed to have received from his client but to date this is still not recieved.

He is probably a big scammer but he is on the blue board.. So please let me know how i can progress this and get my pay that i deserve.

Many thanks for listening and looking forward to your comments.

thx
Bart
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:33
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Repost please, Bart Oct 26, 2012

bartvbe wrote:
I have been waiting for payment now 85 days overdue.

I really don't think this should be tacked onto the end of a very different thread, Bart. It wouldn't do justice to either topic. Please could you repost it as a separate thread, in a different forum. This should be in the "Money Matters" forum.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I report non-payment of paid test on the Blue Board?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »