Thread poster: Andrea Halbritter

Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:55
French to German
+ ...
Aug 14, 2014

Hi!

It's quite a few times that I see jobs on proz hours after they have been posted.

I wonder why as I am a paying member of proz.

Last time a job had actually been posted on Wednesday. For me it was only visible on Thursday about 4 p. m. although I was regularly connected and had a look at the proposed jobs a few times on both days. Concerning the job alert by mail I only got it at 5 p. m. on Thursday as well.

I contacted the outsourcer by mail. He actually would have been interested by my profile as it really matched the translation but had already chosen another translator as he had got quite a lot of offers since Wednesday.

We discussed this on the German forum today and it seems that I am not the only paying member who regularly has that problem.

How about you others? Has anyone got an idea what is the problem? Why dont all paying members see the offers at the same time (even though it's their speciality field)?

Maybe someone from proz can tell us why this happens?

Thank you!

Andrea

Direct link Reply with quote

Little Woods  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
Hi Andrea, I had the same problem. Aug 14, 2014

I also saw the jobs hours after they had been posted and like you I lost the chance because other though dont have strong experience still got it because they turned up before me.

I am also upset because there were some jobs posted and a few hours later hidden with the reason that the site need more information on the jobs even though I saw nothing wrong with them. However by the time they closed the jobs, some hours have passed and those who saw them first got to contact the outsourcers and those with right qualification may not. I think it is better the site take a look at the jobs before letting them on in stead of closing them later.

France
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Job closed by the outsourcer Aug 14, 2014

Hi Little Woods,

thanks for your reply.

In my case the job was closed by the outsourcer because the delay was very short.

The problem when proz examines the post before is probably that it will be on the web to late for urgent offers...

Barbara Bonatti Divers  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:55
Member (2013)
English to Italian
ask the staff? Aug 14, 2014

Have you ever tried filing a support request and asking the proz staff directly?
If anyone can give you answers it is them!

Alejandro Cavalitto
Local time: 18:55
SITE STAFF
Please submit a support request Aug 14, 2014

Hello,

The best way to determine if there are delays with job posting notifications is to submit a support request and supply all related information. In general, that means pointing out which job postings you found you were notified of late, and the time when you received the notification. It is also helpful to supply the headers of the notifications themselves, since those show if there was a delay in the way from ProZ.com servers to your inbox. To view the complete headers of an email message, follow the instructions for your email client on this page: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=22454

If you submit a support request with that information, site staff will be able to check if there is a problem or not. Thank you.

Best regards,
Alejandro

France
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just realised that there is a problem Aug 14, 2014

Hi Barbara!

No, in the beginning I thought I just had not seen the jobs, but this week I had a discussion with one of the outsourcers and understood that I am not always able to see the jobs in time.

I do not know how many jobs this concerns, but when there are only one to three days to send your offer the problem is more likely to occure.

[Modifié le 2014-08-14 19:41 GMT]

France
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Job was not visible directly on proz neither for a whole day Aug 14, 2014

Hello Alejandro,

thanks for your message and the link.

The webmail provider I use for proz though is gmx and I did not find it in the link.

Maybe you are right that there also can be a delay due to a webmail provider, but this week I was having a direct look at the proz job board every hour. The job was not visible to me though.

I just could see it an hour before it was closed and contacted the outsourcer who told me that he had already had quite a lot of offers. So others must have seen the job but not me.

What could be the origin of that problem?

I will send a staff support mentionning the exact offer...

[Modifié le 2014-08-14 19:10 GMT]

France
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Notification sent late by proz Aug 14, 2014

Just had a look on proz. The emailnotification was only sent by proz on 16.52 today and I received it at this time, so the problem is not gmx.

[Modifié le 2014-08-14 19:28 GMT]

France
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem found Aug 14, 2014

Thanks, Alejandro, for the support. We actually found the problem. Feel free to explain it to the others if you want to. I did in German on the German forum (without mentionning the concrete job).

Catarina Lopes
Portugal
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I've had the same problem. Aug 15, 2014

The same happened to me a couple of days ago (and I suspect this was not the first time it happened).
Immediately after I received the notification, I opened the job offer and it already had almost 30 quotes for my language pair. This means the job was previously available to others before I was sent the notification.

Tatiana Lammers  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Same here Aug 15, 2014

Can someone, please, explain why this happens?

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I get them very late too... Aug 15, 2014

not that I would bid, anyway, just to say that - to me - it's a widespread problem... it's been happening for years... And yes, it would be nice to know the explanation...

EDIT: I looked in the German forum and you don't provide an answer there either, unless my German is really bad...

[Edited at 2014-08-15 16:19 GMT]

France
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Job published much later than I thought because of proz checking the offer Aug 15, 2014

Hi Giovanni,

I did explain in the German forum, but can try to here as well.

Concerning the last time I THOUGHT having had the notification much later than other translators the job had actually reached proz Wednesday afternoon but had not been published immediately.

The staff had been checking it and only published it on the job board 10 or 12 hours later.

When I had a look at the job board though the time that appeared was not the time when the job actually had been published on proz, but the time when the outsourcer had sent the job.

This made me think that I had seen it much later than the colleagues. In the meantime the outsourcer who did not get his job published on proz (it was an urgent one) did publish it somewhere else (I only can guess) so that when I did send my offer via proz he already had chosen a translator.

I also talked to other translators two told me that they had a problem with their email-provider which transfered the proz notification to late.

As Alejandro explained you can actually check that if you still have the mails.

Alejandro Cavalitto
Local time: 18:55
SITE STAFF
Perceived delays in job posting notifications Aug 15, 2014

Hello,

Thanks Andrea for posting an explanation for what happened in this case. Notifications are sent when jobs are made public, and not all jobs are made public at the same time they are submitted. This sometimes creates the impression that notifications were sent with a delay when they were sent on time. That should explain most perceived delays in notifications.

If any user would like site staff to check if notifications to their email address are being sent in time, they can always submit a support request and we will look into it. These requests cannot be handled directly on site forums, since that would involve posting information that would be best kept private, like email addresses.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
thanks, Andrea... Aug 16, 2014

I just thought that in the German forum you gave your own interpretation of what's happening, not based on hard facts. But it doesn't matter... I'm sure I misunderstood!

[Edited at 2014-08-16 07:50 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Jobs: regularly visible hours late on proz

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search