English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 29, 2005

Hi!

I got a test from a Canadian agency who posted a job on HI-FI equipments

But it looks suspicious:

- email addresses are based on free email providers
- test is 354 word long instead of the 150 words mentioned in the job post

Did anybody else receive a test from this company?
Thanks

Bye

[Edited at 2005-03-29 08:43]

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:00
English to Polish
+ ...
In similar situations I translate first 150 words Mar 29, 2005

If a post is genuine, the other party will acknowledge its mistake. If it is not, well... I lose.

I do it only if I have some time to spare... The odds are that such posts are NOT genuine.

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
try typing the name of the company into google Mar 29, 2005

and perhaps adding "hoax" or "scam" or "problem" to see if you get any hits. Regarding the email address, a company using a web-based email address doesn't necessarily mean they aren't legit. They may just be using a temporary address to screen applicants/potential translators and then disposing of the address afterwards. I would also mention the discrepency regarding the 150 vs. 345 words.

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Free translation Mar 29, 2005

There is an agency in the Montreal area I suspect of getting most of its translation for free in the form of "tests". Chances are you'll never hear about them after you send in the translation, no matter how good it is.

Best,
Esther

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:00
French to English
Free e-mail address is meaningless Mar 29, 2005

Francesca Moletta wrote:

But it looks suspicious:

- email addresses are based on free email providers

[Edited at 2005-03-29 08:43]

This does not mean anything. The VP Communications of one of my main clients (a chartered Canadian bank) often writes to me using a hotmail address because she often works from home. Her assistant uses a Yahoo address for the same reason.

FWIW,
Karin Adamczyk

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 02:00
English to Russian
+ ...
Free email accounts Mar 29, 2005

In case of staff employees working occasionally from home I would say it's perfectly Ok and reasonable to use free providers. Even though one of my agency-clients provided company-based email accounts for all contractors as well as staff members for security purposes. Yet I agree - when a business or a professional contractor/freelancer claiming years of experience use main email accounts of such nature it looks "indecent" to mee too. I had my chances to gain some experience in support of my bel... See more
In case of staff employees working occasionally from home I would say it's perfectly Ok and reasonable to use free providers. Even though one of my agency-clients provided company-based email accounts for all contractors as well as staff members for security purposes. Yet I agree - when a business or a professional contractor/freelancer claiming years of experience use main email accounts of such nature it looks "indecent" to mee too. I had my chances to gain some experience in support of my belief. I think "real" account looks more respectable and is an important part of "keeping up appearances".Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

suspicious test

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »