Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >
Access to Blue Board records and jobs using browniz points and cash to be discontinued as of Nov. 15
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:34
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I support this change... Nov 5, 2016

Perhaps it will improve the quality of jobs offered on the job board when only paying members can apply.

I think that ProZ should also restrict access to the KudoZ database to members. Why provide a free database of two million terms to the general public...

Not so sure about restricting BlueBoard access. BlueBoard entries have more impact when more people can see (and make) them.

[Edited at 2016-11-05 22:58 GMT]

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:34
German to English
+ ...
on the Blueboard side Nov 6, 2016

Quite some time ago I was a victim of non-payment - one of several. When the name came up, I was able to add my information in order to Do my part in helping my colleagues. If this part of it disappears, it means that we can no longer help fellow translators, and members cannot be helped by those who are not paying members. Does the new policy mean that the ability to help disappears as well?

(I don't understand the "return on investment part".)

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:34
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Appalled Nov 6, 2016

It seems that ProZ are more and more profit-oriented.
If this is not changed, and I don't get a formal apology, I will think very seriously about pulling out entirely.
ProZ: Don't think of your pockets! Think of translators!

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:34
Chinese to English
My two cents Nov 6, 2016

I wouldn't have an issue with Brownies being discontinued if it was being done in the right way. This is Henry's website, he has a right to do what he wants AND to make a profit, and I hope that as fellow business people we understand that Proz is a business, not a charitable endeavor.

However, if I were advising Henry, I would tell him that the timing and planning of this particular change is unfortunate and that Proz may be needlessly damaging its brand. This thread should have b
... See more
I wouldn't have an issue with Brownies being discontinued if it was being done in the right way. This is Henry's website, he has a right to do what he wants AND to make a profit, and I hope that as fellow business people we understand that Proz is a business, not a charitable endeavor.

However, if I were advising Henry, I would tell him that the timing and planning of this particular change is unfortunate and that Proz may be needlessly damaging its brand. This thread should have been started at least three or four months before the change (if it was posted prominently elsewhere before the last two months and I missed it, then I take all of this back), so that members would have had time to plan and come to grasps with this. Additionally, members with large balances should have been offered some sort of extended use period. I've never paid any attention to Brownies, but if I had put time and effort into Brownies only to see them suddenly become worthless with little advance notice, I would not be happy.
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:34
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Henry's "third party" Nov 6, 2016

Henry has said in this thread that the management of Proz subscriptions is being outsourced to a third party, for which reason Browniz can no longer be used to obtain a discount on subscription renewals (or for any other purpose).

I don't follow his logic. This "third party" is presumably working on the orders of Proz and Proz is presumably paying it for doing so.

Why cannot Proz require its third party to find a way of enabling Proz's subscribers to use their Browniz?
... See more
Henry has said in this thread that the management of Proz subscriptions is being outsourced to a third party, for which reason Browniz can no longer be used to obtain a discount on subscription renewals (or for any other purpose).

I don't follow his logic. This "third party" is presumably working on the orders of Proz and Proz is presumably paying it for doing so.

Why cannot Proz require its third party to find a way of enabling Proz's subscribers to use their Browniz? I can't believe it would be impossible.

The sudden decision to make members' already-earned Browniz useless seems to me cavalier, to say the least.

Henry, please think again and ask your third party to find a way.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Third parties Nov 6, 2016

I worry about what other parts of Proz may be subcontracted to these unnamed third parties.

ph-b (X)
ph-b (X)
France
Local time: 10:34
English to French
+ ...
Subcontracting parts of ProZ.com Nov 6, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

I worry about what other parts of Proz may be subcontracted to these unnamed third parties.

That was indeed my first thought when I read Henry's message. And can we assume that the protection of confidential information will not become an issue?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ah yes.... Nov 6, 2016

ph-b wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

That was indeed my first thought when I read Henry's message. And can we assume that the protection of confidential information will not become an issue?

Ah yes- I hadn't thought of that. Some **unnamed** 3rd party located **who knows where** is going to have access to our personal information? I don't think I want to do that.

Dear Proz: please provide the full name and address of the third party.

[Edited at 2016-11-06 10:03 GMT]

ph-b (X)
ph-b (X)
France
English to French
+ ...
Really? Nov 6, 2016

Henry Dotterer wrote:

each participant in our network brings something to everyone else.

With all due respect, and assuming that I read this correctly, I find it hard to agree with you on this, Henry.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Pretty sure... Nov 6, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Ah yes- I hadn't thought of that. Some **unnamed** 3rd party located **who knows where** is going to have access to our personal information? I don't think I want to do that.

Dear Proz: please provide the full name and address of the third party.

[Edited at 2016-11-06 10:03 GMT]

it will be included in the Terms and Conditions, in the privacy or data protection section... lots of companies use 3rd party services...

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
BrowniZ... Nov 6, 2016

what am i going to do with my 7,903 BrowniZ?

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Loyal customers as long as the product deserves their loyalty Nov 6, 2016

Sometimes a product that we have been buying for years suddenly changes for the worse. The manufacturer decides that he can substitute cheaper ingredients in the place of the good quality ingredients used up to then and that because people are so brand-loyal, they'll keep on buying the product and never notice the drop in quality.
Lots of us have been paying for Proz for over a decade. Through ups and downs, disputes etc. Yes, there is a certain degree of brand loyalty. After all, Proz is
... See more
Sometimes a product that we have been buying for years suddenly changes for the worse. The manufacturer decides that he can substitute cheaper ingredients in the place of the good quality ingredients used up to then and that because people are so brand-loyal, they'll keep on buying the product and never notice the drop in quality.
Lots of us have been paying for Proz for over a decade. Through ups and downs, disputes etc. Yes, there is a certain degree of brand loyalty. After all, Proz is not the only site of its kind.
But suddenly the 'brand' has decided to remove the customer-loyalty side of things. No more browniz, no more partial memberships. Only the exciting offer to pay more for more promises. I was quite surprised to see that the option to renew under the old terms was removed immediately. Well before the new, more expensive option(s) became official.
I am also very disappointed and dismayed to see the direction Proz is now heading.
I have until next August to decide what to do.
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Truth Nov 6, 2016

Jessica Noyes wrote:

Sometimes it is not to our advantage to keep a commitment. The way we handle such situations is an indicator of our integrity.
I would like to be a member of a site that I can trust to keep its promises, with no excuses.

However, I guess that when you find yourself in a near-monopoly position, you can do more or less whatever you want, call it whatever you please, adduce whatever reasoning or excuse and get away with it, especially if everyone else falls in line, one way or the other.

What use are integrity, or fairness?

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

what am i going to do with my 7,903 BrowniZ?

Digital bonfire?

Maybe we could have a nifty fire-effect-thingie to add to our profiles that will incinerate our BrowniZ balance, little by little, a bit like the pretty little car that was merrily and lightheartedly prancing at the top of the site pages until recently...

Man, that would be SO cool...

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Another disappointment... Nov 6, 2016

... after the fiasco of the last translation contest!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Teresa Nov 6, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:
Another disappointment, after the fiasco of the last translation contest!

Why is this such a disappointment to you, Teresa? As a paying member, the BrowniZ points only ever had its original value for you, namely to increase your directory ranking in cases where your KudoZ points are tied with that of another translator.

Since 2002, paying members could use BrowniZ points to get a $15 discount on membership (except in 2002, when the discount was $60 for 6000 points) and to pay for directory advert impressions. Non-paying members could use it for the membership discount, to bid on jobs (only until 2010), and to buy full access to a BB entry.

Note that non-paying members (and the public) do have access to all BB entries and rankings but can't see the actual wording of the comments and the identity of the graders, although they can see if the graders are sock puppets or not. So I don't think it's a very big loss for people who used to buy BB access with BrowniZ.

I wonder how many people do regularly buy BB access with BrowniZ, or regularly add money to their wallet. This may all just be a storm in a teacup.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Access to Blue Board records and jobs using browniz points and cash to be discontinued as of Nov. 15

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »