Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >
Access to Blue Board records and jobs using browniz points and cash to be discontinued as of Nov. 15
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Thank you Nov 11, 2016

Thank you for your response, Henry, and I do appreciate the time you put into addressing these issues. I am fully satisfied with the responses and solutions you offered.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:14
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Lingua 5B Nov 11, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:

Would you like someone offering you to pay for your translation with brownies instead of cash?

I never accept smiley stickers in grocery stores, I just pay with cash. I expect the same for my services, cash only please.

That about sums up the mood among third-party payment processors.

Also, if you are running a business, there's always a risk with investment, it may pay off and it may not, what's new about it? It's not an in-house employment with benefits and guarantees, it's business - dynamic and unpredictable.

Yes. Thanks for being a long-time member, Lingua 5B.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I just tried to renew... Nov 14, 2016

and it seems there is no way to pay without the recurring payment option. I have had lots of bad experiences with recurring payments. Is there a way to opt-out of recurring charges?

[Edited at 2016-11-14 18:56 GMT]

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 07:14
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
You can opt for manual renewals Nov 14, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:

and it seems there is no way to pay without the recurring payment option. I have had lots of bad experiences with recurring payments. Is there a way to opt-out of recurring charges?

It is possible to use opt for a manual renewal. In the "Payment methods" section, select "Other payment methods" to do this. Note that prices may be higher with manual renewal options. You can also turn off an automatic subscription at any time, or start one, from the Manage your membership page, http://www.proz.com/manage-membership (in the menu when you mouseover your name at the top of the site).

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you! Nov 14, 2016

However, when I hit the UPGRADE to Plus Package on the link you provided, it automatically changes back to a Recurring payments only without any option to change it.

If I purchase the Plus Package and then cancel the auto-renewal, will I have to pay an additional fee?

Jared Tabor wrote:

LegalTransform wrote:

It is possible to use opt for a manual renewal. In the "Payment methods" section, select "Other payment methods" to do this. Note that prices may be higher with manual renewal options. You can also turn off an automatic subscription at any time, or start one, from the Manage your membership page, http://www.proz.com/manage-membership (in the menu when you mouseover your name at the top of the site).

[Edited at 2016-11-14 22:13 GMT]

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Upgrading to Plus Nov 14, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:

However, when I hit the UPGRADE to Plus Package on the link you provided, it automatically changes back to a Recurring payments only without any option to change it.

If I purchase the Plus Package and then cancel the auto-renewal, will I have to pay an additional fee?

If you are upgrading from Standard to the Plus package, follow the same steps and you should see the same options: Credit card, PayPal, and below that "Other payment methods". If you are not seeing this on that same page, please send me a screenshot of what you are seeing so that I or a member of the support staff can look into it.

If you upgrade and use an alternate payment method, the discount for your remaining membership will not automatically be factored in. Instead, an amount of extra membership corresponding to that discount will be added to your account. Be sure to put in a support request once you have made the payment ( http://www.proz.com/support/ ) to make sure that is updated.

To my knowledge no extra fee is involved in cancelling a subscription.

Thanks!

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:14
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Now, what is the current state of affairs of Browniz? Mar 22, 2017

I see they are still there and being added. But for which purpose?

Can we still use them as partial payment for our membership?

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Browniz only affect directory ranking when KudoZ points are tied Mar 23, 2017

Dear Christel,

The only purpose of browniz points at the moment is to determine directory ranking when KudoZ points are tied. All other uses have been phased out, as stated at http://www.proz.com/faq/4582#4582

Please let me know if you have any question. Thank you.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:14
German to English
But the FAQ on Browniz still says ... Aug 14, 2017

"Unlike KudoZ points, browniz points can be spent. Having browniz points means you have done something for the community, and the community "owes you one"."
http://www.proz.com/faq/4582#4582

Since there doesn't seem to be anything that one can spend them on - so isn't it time that this information was changed?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
The Blue Board Aug 14, 2017

I applaud the restricted access to the Blue Board, but isn't it time that all the complaints about the Blue Board were addressed?

sdvplatt

Fabrizio Zambuto
Fabrizio Zambuto  Identity Verified
Chinese to Italian
+ ...
When making money becomes the only purpose Sep 26, 2017

Anton Konashenok wrote:

Henry Dotterer wrote:

To those who have used the site, in some cases for many years, but have never been members: As you might have gathered from Jared's posting, we value the contributions of all site users, paying and non-paying, and we hope to lose no one in this update. That is why we are inviting you to join as paying members, and apart from discounting the Standard package significantly, we are offering a "guaranteed return on investment" for those who take the chance and pre-order the Plus package.

What an example of marketing doublespeak. Henry, you are championing the worst practices of Apple, Sony, Microsoft and the like.

couldn't agree more, expecially with the last paragraph.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Speaking of which..... Sep 26, 2017

Speaking of which, where can I find the corporate information (i.e. the legal constitution, directors, etc.) of Proz.com? I've searched across the website but I can't find it.

Erwin S. Fernandez
Erwin S. Fernandez
Philippines
Local time: 18:14
English to Pangasinan
+ ...
Surprised that I cannot use browniz points anymore Jan 25, 2018

I was wondering late last year why I cannot see the Blue Board entries. Since I was very busy at that time (and the year before preparing my book), I did not bother to check. Then now as I have time to visit the site, I have the opportunity to know that its use had been restricted since November 15, 2016. It has been more than a year now. I still have more than 4000 browniz. Can one still use them for a membership discount?

Karen Zaragoza
Karen Zaragoza
Local time: 18:14
SITE STAFF
Browniz points can no longer be used as a discount for site membership Jan 26, 2018

Dear ES Fernandez,

Please note that as of November 15th 2016, it is also no longer possible to use browniz points as a discount towards site membership. An announcement will be made once information on the use of browniz points becomes available.

Please let me know if you need help with anything else.

Best regards,

Karen Zaragoza
ProZ.com Staff

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Choices on both sides Jan 26, 2018

Henry Dotterer wrote:

The costs of running ProZ.com are paid by people just like you who choose to invest in their businesses in the form of paid membership. In other words, the costs of this site are paid by your colleagues here. In that sense, one might say that you are a guest of the members here.

Once again, guests are welcome. Please continue to use the site, whether you choose to be a member or not, if you continue to find it valuable. But please also keep your mind open to the possibility of becoming a full paying member. The idea is that we should profit together when you do.

I was a free user for maybe 5 years when Proz didn't have a worthy and sustainable demand in my language pair EN < > PT. As soon as this demand became worthy and sustainable, I became a full member, and remained so for about 10 years.

For the record, no translation portal other than Proz has so far met my worth & sustainability criterion, so - for exposure reasons - I remain a free user in all those that accept this status without a time constraint.

This is merely a ROI calculation I do on every such site and, perhaps amazingly, it includes my very own site on the Internet! On the day it stops bringing me clients and income, I'll shut it down.

More recently, I noticed that about 80% of all jobs/translation requests on Proz demand Trados as a sine qua non prerequisite to contact the client, even when NO CAT tool whatsoever would be of any use there. My perception is that Proz possibly requires any job poster to deny 2-3 times the absolute need for Trados before letting them waive this absolute condition.

I use a competing CAT tool, though I have no objection to using a client-provided portable license of any CAT tool; I have done it with MemoQ, Passolo, and Memsource.

My analogy is with Uber accepting only drivers who own and use a specific car brand, and no other. If I don't have that car, I'm out! Nevertheless I have no objection to driving any car brand a taxi company provides me from their own fleet.

So I stepped down to being a free user again.

This sounds to me like some marketing deal between SDL and Proz. As I'm neither running nor advising either company, it's literally none of my business. My ROI calculations determined that, as a non-Trados user, SDL should pay 80% (or whatever is the actual percentage) of my Proz membership, to make it worthy and sustainable again.

sdvplatt

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Access to Blue Board records and jobs using browniz points and cash to be discontinued as of Nov. 15

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »