Off topic: Job stated is 180 words. Test is 25% of that. Are there some who actually go for it?
Thread poster: Henry Hinds

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 13, 2005

Job: IMMEDIATE NEED - Mexican Spanish
http://www.proz.com/job/80198

The job is stated as only 180 words. The test requested consists of about 25% of that.

Just what are people thinking? Are there some who actually go for it?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-13 19:39]

Direct link Reply with quote

Karina Pelech  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:04
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
6 quotes so far... Jun 13, 2005

... so it seems that there are indeed some going for this one, oh well

Cheers,

Karina

Ian M-H
United States
Local time: 19:04
German to English
+ ...
Sample, not test? Jun 13, 2005

Henry wrote:
The job is stated as only 180 words. The test requested consists of about 25% of that.

I read this as being a sample of the text to be translated, to help people decide whether it is 'up their street' before quoting.

The fact that the outsourcer wanted the job done within the hour strengthens my belief that they weren't asking for a test translation.

[Edited at 2005-06-14 13:41]

xxxTadzio
English to Spanish
Nop... Jun 14, 2005

Henry Hinds wrote:

Just what are people thinking? Are there some who actually go for it?

Nop, I didn't... Besides, I never go for less than 3,000 words.
They're just dawdling. I check!
Tadzio.

David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:04
Spanish to English
Just what are people thinking? Are there some who actually go for it? Jun 14, 2005

[quote]Henry Hinds wrote:

Henry, there appears to be too many enthusiastic translators trying to make a living or get started on the ladder, that they will accept anything, including being paid a pittance (I have seen jobs were the price per word was 3 US cents) and there were more than 20 quotes for the job. Many agencies are aware of the supply/demand situation and exploit it.

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
I thought it was fishy, but... Jun 14, 2005

...this is posted by (see job post for name - name deleted per ProZ rules, mea culpa). He has a near perfect record on Blueboard - the one dissenting opinion is the first one, from 3 years ago. I recently did a very small job for him and he's been just fine. He isn't parcelling out the test, he has it on the job posting. Whoever gets the job may find a pleasant surprise when it comes to payday.

So I think in this case, I'd give the job poster a break.

[Edited at 2005-06-15 16:22]

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Poster changed his offer Jun 14, 2005

Can Altinbay wrote:

...this is posted by xxx. He has a near perfect record on Blueboard - the one dissenting opinion is the first one, from 3 years ago. I recently did a very small job for him and he's been just fine. He isn't parcelling out the test, he has it on the job posting. Whoever gets the job may find a pleasant surprise when it comes to payday.

So I think in this case, I'd give the job poster a break.

He now indicates he has put the full text as "sample text" and will pay whoever comes up with the best translation. Unusual approach, but at least not confusing or misleading as the first attempt.

[Edited at 2005-06-14 13:55]

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 20:04
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Reminder Jun 14, 2005

Hi

I'd like to remind that client discussions are not allowed in forums.
Please edit the posts naming clients.
I'll move this post to Proz.com jobs systems.

Thank you

Claudia

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just Curious Jun 14, 2005

I was just curious as to what people's reactions would be to this. I don't know how do do such a thing without making direct reference to the client, whose post is visible to all in any case. Perhaps his intentions are good.

The reactions were interesting.

Edward L. Crosby III  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:04
German to English
+ ...
Pittance payment Jul 2, 2005

David,

I've no doubt that some "low-balling" is due to the exploitation factor, but in other cases it is probably directly related to the cost of living and the cost of doing business. If it only costs you 2 cents per word to do a translation because you live in an area where your costs are very low, then you're much more willing to work for 4 cents per word than if your cost of living/doing business requires 6 cents per word to break even. Since translations can be provided to nearly anyone from nearly anywhere thanks to the Internet, those who live and work in areas with an exceptionally low cost of living have a clear advantage.

I recently received a request from an Indian agency to translate a German chemistry textbook for the astounding rate of 1.5 US cents per word! Obviously even living in a farming community in eastern Washington our cost of living is far too high to make any money at that rate, unless we were to do such a quick-and-dirty (= very poor quality) translation at such a high rate of speed that we could turn a profit of some sort even at that rate. Aside from the physical toll, my pride in workmanship won't let me do that.

My lowest rate was 8 US cents per word, and that was 30 years ago.

Cheers,

Ed

David Brown wrote:

Henry, there appears to be too many enthusiastic translators trying to make a living or get started on the ladder, that they will accept anything, including being paid a pittance (I have seen jobs were the price per word was 3 US cents) and there were more than 20 quotes for the job. Many agencies are aware of the supply/demand situation and exploit it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job stated is 180 words. Test is 25% of that. Are there some who actually go for it?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search