Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:52
English to German
+ ...
Jul 6, 2005

Good evening all,
Those who have activated notifications for German > English jobs will probably have noticed a large string of notifications for largely identical job postings.

ProZ.com staff are working on it. As a first step, they removed all these postings - unfortunately, the system was probably too fast to stop all notifications. I expect Jason or Andrew to post some more info as soon as they have dealt with what's immediately necessary.

Sorry for any inconv
... See more
Good evening all,
Those who have activated notifications for German > English jobs will probably have noticed a large string of notifications for largely identical job postings.

ProZ.com staff are working on it. As a first step, they removed all these postings - unfortunately, the system was probably too fast to stop all notifications. I expect Jason or Andrew to post some more info as soon as they have dealt with what's immediately necessary.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused!
Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

John Bishop
John Bishop  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:52
Member (2003)
German to English
how did that happen?! Jul 6, 2005

I got dozens and dozens of those f****ers!

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Home page notice Jul 6, 2005

Hi John,
I sympathise - I got the same series...

Here's what ProZ.com staff have posted on the home page:

Repeated email notifications mistakenly sent out
A technical error allowed a job poster to post the same job almost 150 times, causing many duplicate email notifications to be sent to those who had subscribed to notifications for that type of job.

We have stopped the duplicate messages from leaving ProZ.com's mail servers, but some members may still receive many copies of this email notification.

We sincerely apologize for this problem, and are taking steps to ensure it cannot happen again.

AFAIK they managed to hold quite a few messages, but by the time the problem was noticed, quite a number had already gone out.

Best regards,
Ralf

John Bishop
United States
Member (2003)
German to English
deliberate strategy? Jul 6, 2005

Was it a deliberate strategy on the part of the job poster to post the same job so many times?

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't think so... Jul 6, 2005

...please take another look at the message posted by ProZ.com: this refers explicitly to a technical error.

Best regards,
Ralf

John Bishop
United States
Member (2003)
German to English
yes, that's why I asked ... Jul 7, 2005

... saying that the error "allowed" the poster to make multiple postings makes it sound as if it might have been deliberate (though why that would be a desirable strategy is unclear).

Thank you for your help!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 22:52
SITE FOUNDER
We don't know what happened on the poster's end Jul 7, 2005

We called the office of the job poster but she had already gone home. So we don't know what could have caused this. Probably some technical abberation on their end, coupled by a failure on our end to identify the duplicates as such.

Our sincere apologies for the tremendous inconvenience that has been caused to some members.

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 22:52
SITE STAFF
Added technical safeguard to prevent this from happening again Jul 7, 2005

A technical safeguard has been added to prevent duplicate job postings and duplicate email notifications from being sent out this way in the future. I apologize for not having this protection available in the first place.

Best regards,

Jason

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Serial job posting - ProZ.com staff and mods are working on it

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »