Ana Naglić
Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 12:06
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Aug 24, 2005

I have the following problem: how to warn the translators' community about a bad company when I'm allowed only to post a mark about the agency at the BB if I worked for them (but their attitude and offering humiliating rates saying that they already have the people doing the work for as little money, simply do not count? - I have a copy of their email if someone is interesting)?
This is what happened: I applied for the freelance position, as they seemed fine company, and in their reply the
... See more
I have the following problem: how to warn the translators' community about a bad company when I'm allowed only to post a mark about the agency at the BB if I worked for them (but their attitude and offering humiliating rates saying that they already have the people doing the work for as little money, simply do not count? - I have a copy of their email if someone is interesting)?
This is what happened: I applied for the freelance position, as they seemed fine company, and in their reply they tried to persuade me to accept 0.02 EUR PER WORD! (That was a Slovenian company, saying that they have freelance translators in Serbia who are working for 6.5 EUR per page (!), and if I'm ready to accept that, we may cooperate).
Of course that I have no intention to work for them, but they really do deserve a bad mark for such attitude towards translators and the value of their work.
I believe that such a feature would enable translators to avoid such slave-labour and save them a lot of time.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Simply refuse... Aug 24, 2005

Hi Ana,
First of all, I'm moving the topic to the ProZ.com Job Systems forum, as it does not refer to a bug (i.e. a technical malfunction) at all.

As you have realised, you may not post on the Blue Board unless you have actually worked for an outsourcer. The Blue Board is a database where service providers can express the likelihood of working again for a given outsourcer - therefore, this rule is necessary to protect this fundamental principle.

I believe that such a feature would enable translators to avoid such slave-labour and save them a lot of time.

The issue of how to deal with job offers you consider too low to be acceptable has been discussed on numerous occasions - my personal advice would be to simply ignore them. After all, whether or not to accept any job is your sovereign decision, isn't it?

Best regards,
Ralf

Ana Naglić
Croatia
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
- Aug 24, 2005

I agree, but the rather rude email that tries to "impose" the 0.02 EUR just because they are taking advantage of someone in Serbia is a bad mark itself; sending such idiotic messages does not do the company any good at all (no serious translator would agree to such rate, even the Asian ones are better). The issue is not about the rates, the issue is the rude imposing of low rates.
And of course I would ignore them, they just made me very, very angry and talking about such instances (apart
... See more
I agree, but the rather rude email that tries to "impose" the 0.02 EUR just because they are taking advantage of someone in Serbia is a bad mark itself; sending such idiotic messages does not do the company any good at all (no serious translator would agree to such rate, even the Asian ones are better). The issue is not about the rates, the issue is the rude imposing of low rates.
And of course I would ignore them, they just made me very, very angry and talking about such instances (apart from the Asian companies) seems a taboo.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No taboo Aug 24, 2005

Hi again,
I can understand why a rude response would make you angry. Still, I'm afraid this is clearly out of scope as far as the Blue Board is concerned.

And of course I would ignore them, they just made me very, very angry and talking about such instances (apart from the Asian companies) seems a taboo.

Not at all, provided you don't identify the outsourcer here.

Best regards,
Ralf

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:06
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Don't understand either... Aug 24, 2005

Why would you become angry?

They have a choice/right to offer you their rates, you have your choice/right to refuse them. It is that easy IMO

Ana says:
the issue is the rude imposing of low rates.

No one can force me to accept low rates. If I accept them, it is because I agree to do that, not because someone forced me.
If you think that they are a bad company, then it is their problem. You do not have to make it your problem.

If it helps, click the Delete buton when you see their email. That should make you smile

Enjoy the rest of the day,
Monika

Ana Naglić
Croatia
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanx Aug 24, 2005

Thanx for your replies. A colleague from Serbia had a similar problem recently, we discussed that on the Croatian forum...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blueboard posting issue

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »