it is difficult to use ProZ.com
Thread poster: translover Hu
translover Hu
translover Hu
Local time: 09:47
Chinese to English
+ ...
Oct 17, 2005

I am a new comer and I have had few experience in job getting through ProZ.com. I have tried a couple of times to bid for a chance of getting a job posted on ProZ.com, yet competitions are so hot that I almost never had the opportunity to get once, this render me even suspect that if the posted job wanting is true or not. I think when there are job wanting outsoursers why not let them choose the one that can satisfy their desire and if translators were located by the outsoursers then a notice re... See more
I am a new comer and I have had few experience in job getting through ProZ.com. I have tried a couple of times to bid for a chance of getting a job posted on ProZ.com, yet competitions are so hot that I almost never had the opportunity to get once, this render me even suspect that if the posted job wanting is true or not. I think when there are job wanting outsoursers why not let them choose the one that can satisfy their desire and if translators were located by the outsoursers then a notice revieved by the translator must be a an order of the job not a chance for bid.Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:47
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
- Oct 17, 2005

Hi,

As your posting concerns not KudoZ but getting jobs, I have moved it to the ProZ.com job systems forum.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
???? Oct 17, 2005

translover wrote:

I am a new comer and I have had few experience in job getting through ProZ.com. I have tried a couple of times to bid for a chance of getting a job posted on ProZ.com, yet competitions are so hot that I almost never had the opportunity to get once, this render me even suspect that if the posted job wanting is true or not. I think when there are job wanting outsoursers why not let them choose the one that can satisfy their desire and if translators were located by the outsoursers then a notice revieved by the translator must be a an order of the job not a chance for bid.

I really don`t undertand what you mean. Can you explain further, please?
Walter

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Concentrate on English>Chinese translations Oct 17, 2005

Hi translover,

Here are a few suggestions:

You might like to consider translating into your mother tongue. I think there are very few professional translators who do a really good job translating into another language than their native one. Most outsourcers even request the translator to be a native speaker of the target language. If you have replied to Chinese-English offers so far, maybe this was the reason why you were not chosen.

I just had a look at yo
... See more
Hi translover,

Here are a few suggestions:

You might like to consider translating into your mother tongue. I think there are very few professional translators who do a really good job translating into another language than their native one. Most outsourcers even request the translator to be a native speaker of the target language. If you have replied to Chinese-English offers so far, maybe this was the reason why you were not chosen.

I just had a look at your profile and noticed some mistakes in there. You might like to work on it again or get someone (preferably a native English speaker) to proofread it. Your profile is the first thing a potential client will get to see of you.

It also "pays" to be active on Proz.com, for example by answering Kudoz questions. Peers and clients will get to know you and might contact you directly for a job.

Good luck,
Stefanie
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Have a look at the directory Oct 17, 2005

Hi translover,
Your posting is a bit difficult to understand, so I apologise if I misunderstood you.

I am a new comer and I have had few experience in job getting through ProZ.com. I have tried a couple of times to bid for a chance of getting a job posted on ProZ.com,

Quoting on jobs posted is only one way of gaining work - making sure that your profile is up to speed is another. You already spent some time filling your profile with some information. That's good. As a next step, put yourself in the position of an outsourcer looking for work - a CV isn't the best way of presenting yourself.

yet competitions are so hot that I almost never had the opportunity to get once, this render me even suspect that if the posted job wanting is true or not.

Careful with such allegations; besides, why would anyone bother to post a job if that job wasn't for real (it takes some time to enter the details, you know...).

I think when there are job wanting outsoursers why not let them choose the one that can satisfy their desire

May I suggest you check the Directory section? That's exactly what's happening there.

and if translators were located by the outsoursers then a notice revieved by the translator must be a an order of the job not a chance for bid.

That would be impractical, I'm afraid: as a freelance translator, you're an entrepreneur, a service provider - customers cannot order you to take a job. You must provide a quote in any case.

Best regards,
Ralf

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
RALPH Oct 17, 2005

Your response is as clear as water, Ralph!
Nothing else to add.

Walter

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:47
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Useful information about site features Oct 17, 2005

Hi Translover,

The information at http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/categories/ProZ.com-Site-Features/ might be of assistance if you are new to this site.

Good luck
Chris

translover Hu
translover Hu
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks so much Oct 18, 2005

friends:
It is very kind of you for responding my posting, I am very obliged to you for your tips. As a newcomer and poor understanding of exact meanings of foriegn language I nearly do not know kow to find the way to success, after reading carefully your advices I have get some point. thank you again!
actually, I am a Chinese who just engaged in translation for a couple of years, and what I have done in translation before are just some assignments that were given me by some Chinese
... See more
friends:
It is very kind of you for responding my posting, I am very obliged to you for your tips. As a newcomer and poor understanding of exact meanings of foriegn language I nearly do not know kow to find the way to success, after reading carefully your advices I have get some point. thank you again!
actually, I am a Chinese who just engaged in translation for a couple of years, and what I have done in translation before are just some assignments that were given me by some Chinese translation firms or agents.Thereful, I have poor experiences in getting touch with job outsoursers directly before, and what I desire now is find some way to offer my translation service to outsoursers directly without some go-bwtween or broker. since I am a Chinese thereful what I can do most and best is translation from English into Chinese, so I would like to offer my effort to some one that need such help.
with the best regards!
Collapse

Kunik
Kunik  Identity Verified
English to Latvian
+ ...
Hmm Oct 18, 2005

translover Hu wrote:

As a newcomer and poor understanding of exact meanings of foriegn language I nearly do not know kow to find the way to success, after reading carefully your advices I have get some point. thank you again!

No offence meant, but I believe that "understanding of exact meanings" is a pre-requisite for translation.

translover Hu
translover Hu
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANKS FOR YOUR REMIND OF ME ABOUT THIS Oct 19, 2005

friend:
thank you for reminding me of my expression of "poor understanding of the exact meaning of foriegn language", you know this is a modest expression Chinese people often use when they talk to someone whom they consider as a patron of them. this way of utterance does not necessarily mean the fact they deal with, it means that the speaker respects the person whom he is talking with, only in this way the speaker would feel that he hemself does not gain the adventage of the person he t
... See more
friend:
thank you for reminding me of my expression of "poor understanding of the exact meaning of foriegn language", you know this is a modest expression Chinese people often use when they talk to someone whom they consider as a patron of them. this way of utterance does not necessarily mean the fact they deal with, it means that the speaker respects the person whom he is talking with, only in this way the speaker would feel that he hemself does not gain the adventage of the person he talk with. Maybe this is an unique custom of chinese speaker. further more, if I am realy be of poor understanding of the exact meaning of foriegn language how dare I say that I am able to translate a foriegn language.
Honestly, my wife demand me to pay for her her pension fund diporsite, the deadline for payment is looming and I have no nay idea on how I can solve this problem. My wife is an off-job worker at present.
Dear friend you may contact me through MSN:[email protected]

[Edited at 2005-10-20 04:33]

[Edited at 2005-10-20 15:07]
Collapse

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sharing visions Oct 20, 2005

translover Hu wrote:

friend:
thank you for reminding me of my expression of "poor understanding of the exact meaning of foriegn language", you know this is a modest expression Chinese people often use when they talk to someone whom they consider as a patron of them. this way of utterance does not necessarily mean the fact they deal with, it means that the speaker respects the person whom he is talking with, only in this way the speaker would feel that he hemself does not gain the adventage of the person he talk with.

Thanks for sharing a bit of your ancient culture with us.

This is one of the advantages of these forums, sharing different visions. This makes us all richer and a bit wiser.

Kind regards,
Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina

translover Hu
translover Hu
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for your positive appraisal Oct 20, 2005

dear friend:
If you are interested in knowledge about Chinese customs you may contact me through MSN for a chat. My MSN is [email protected]
Please feel free to contact me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

it is difficult to use ProZ.com

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »