Blue Board rules
Thread poster: Lesley Clarke

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:18
Spanish to English
Jul 3, 2006

I have been meaning to raise this topic for a long time and now I finally have the time.

Last year I did an enormous translation for an agency in the USA that was not paid for. I had stupidly accepted a miserable rate but the owner of this agency was not even capable of paying me that. However, being a lawyer, she had the good sense to register an automatic complaint about my work the instant she received it and that was sufficient for me not to be able to register a complaint of any sort on the blueboard.

Five other translators have given her agency 5s. I am sure they were not asked by anyone to justify their 5s.

On another occasion an agency wrote to me asking me to give them a 5 on the blueboard in response to a negative score from another translator. As I did not depend on them for work I did not comply, but the next day the blueboard was full of praise for this agency, totally drowning out the negative remark.

It must be said that the basic idea is good and the moderators of the blueboard deserve many thanks for the work they do.

However, though I don't think it is easy to think up workable rules for something like the blueboard, I do think it is not working as it is and maybe it is time that we put our minds together to suggest improvements.

Any suggestions?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:18
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Possibly related experience Jul 3, 2006

About three weeks ago, I had what looked like a firm job offer from an agency. I discovered from KudoZ questions that another translator seemed to be working on the same text. I contacted him and he said it was the same text, but not the same agency, and anyway he was no longer working on it as he had had a problem (unspecified) with the agency. A couple of days later (having accepted the job when it was offered but having heard no more from the agency), questions from it again turned up on the KudoZ page. Again I checked with the translator, and this time it was the same agency.
This agency has posted numerous jobs over the past three years. It has five ratings, all grade 5, on the Blue Board, with highly complimentary remarks about what nice people they are, it's a pleasure to work with them, etc.
OK, they don't owe me anything, and they have a perfect right to allocate the job to someone else if they want, but it surprised me that an agency with such a high reputation would not have the courtesy to let me know the job had been placed elsewhere. I didn't think it worth reporting to a jobs moderator, but it all just seems vaguely fishy to me.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 21:18
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Just proves BB has a standing Jul 3, 2006

and that its a real asset. Instilling holly horror in some bones...

Otoh I just wonder about those cheats. Their fives seem to be fake money at its best. Any ideas how to police that? - Henry, I am not talking to you (g) -.

[Edited at 2006-07-03 19:03]

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Not on home page Jul 3, 2006

Why has this topic disappeared so rapidly from the Home Page?

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:18
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Oh dear, well that's that then Jul 3, 2006

Thank you Jack for your interest. I would have thought there would have more interest in this subject, but unfortunately not. And now that it is not on the home page anymore I imagine that will be the end of the subject.

And I do think it is important, I don't say the Blueboard is bad but it is deceptive and its very deceptiveness can lead to the loss of time and money.

I certainly do not blame Proz for these things, though maybe all of us as Prozians are responsible if we aren't interested enough to do something to improve the situation.

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
I was wondering this too Jul 4, 2006

Jack Doughty wrote:

Why has this topic disappeared so rapidly from the Home Page?

I am interested in this topic because a few years ago one of my customer's who is also a translator gave a 5 to the company that was headed by this person. I thought this was very strange. Now the whole agency has disappeared so my conclusion is that someone at ProZ noticed and gave the agency/translator the benefit of the doubt and asked for the agency to be removed. Other translators had also added thier rating. I just checked again to make double sure and it is still the case. The agency has disappeared but not the translator.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blue Board rules

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search