Skype me!, but what about the new Messenger?
Thread poster: Ivan Eikås Skjøstad

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 14:14
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jul 14, 2006

I use MS Messenger, and in the latest version it is possible to call another PC, just like Skype. It is also possible to use video conversations (like Skype).

The thing is that I believe that Messenger is more common than Skype, and that the integration of Messenger in the Proz profile should be more like "Skype me!". Just displaying messenger id is not enough. It should be easier to contact a translator through Messenger and/or through the new PC to PC call system.

Direct link Reply with quote

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
No opinion on Messenger, except Jul 15, 2006

I avoid using any Microsoft products whenever I can: No Outlook, no Internet Explorer, no Messenger, no Media Player, no firewall, etc. etc. and I disable every possible function, even the automatic updates, which I on occasion switch on, download and install the security patches for Windows, and then switch off again immediately.

Why? MS uses all these features to track you and your buying and computer habits, to gain information to be used to their advantage. (On the other hand, lots and lots of other software products do, too.) This is widely known, and I don't like it. I'm sure there are thousands of articles on this topic on the internet, and programs (like XP Spy) to help you disable these features, because MS sometimes makes it very, very difficult to do so, if not even impossible. Another reason is just that their products are so vulnerable to viruses. (I do use the MS Office products, though, by necessity in this profession.)

If you don't mind that, then by all means use all their products. I have a problem with their size and power, and the company has used every trick in the book to squelch competition, and has done it quite successfully. The EU has not recently imposed a hefty fine on the company for their (unfair) practices for no reason.

I'm going with Skype - I just need to install it.

Boris Sigalov
Local time: 15:14
English to Russian
No better IM than Skype at the moment Jul 16, 2006

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:

Messenger is more common than Skype

Absolutely not!

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Skype is a lot smaller Jul 17, 2006

Boris Sigalov wrote:

Messenger is more common than Skype

Absolutely not!

When I log into Skype, aroung 5 mill people are logged in. According to this article: http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?dist=newsfinder&siteid=google&guid={B9D22619-BE72-4F68-9412-FD476DC7BC32}&keyword

Skype say that they have 100 million users.

Messenger has over 200 million users....

"Worldwide, Yahoo Messenger is the second-largest instant messaging client, behind Microsoft's MSN Messenger. Yahoo Messenger had about 76 million global users in April, according to comScore Media Metrix, compared to MSN's 204.6 million users. Time Warner Inc.'s AIM and AOL messaging products together had about 51.3 million users."

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.asp?feed=AP&Date=20060619&ID=5807944

Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:14
English to Chinese
+ ...
Safer. Jul 17, 2006

I use MS Messenger, and in the latest version it is possible to call another PC, just like Skype. It is also possible to use video conversations (like Skype).

The thing is that I believe that Messenger is more common than Skype, and that the integration of Messenger in the Proz profile should be more like "Skype me!". Just displaying messenger id is not enough. It should be easier to contact a translator through Messenger and/or through the new PC to PC call system.

What I enjoy Skype most is its security feature. All dialogues, written or spoken, are automatically encrypted. As long as you don't call someone on a regular phone, this feature is there.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Skype me!, but what about the new Messenger?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search