Thread poster: Levan Namoradze
Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 14:00
English to Chinese
+ ...
Definately should have been opt-in! Oct 30, 2007

I agree with Hynek. I think the original email announcing this new "money-maker" for Proz should have been opt-in only and was deliberately worded so convolutedly and confusing for non native English speakers that they would be unsure whether to opt-out or not.

"Vendor offers" could be mistrued as job offers when in fact it's just advertising, plain and simple.

Of course Proz needs to earn as much income as possible to keep this excellent site up and running, but please
... See more
I agree with Hynek. I think the original email announcing this new "money-maker" for Proz should have been opt-in only and was deliberately worded so convolutedly and confusing for non native English speakers that they would be unsure whether to opt-out or not.

"Vendor offers" could be mistrued as job offers when in fact it's just advertising, plain and simple.

Of course Proz needs to earn as much income as possible to keep this excellent site up and running, but please don't try to pull the wool over people's eyes cos that just pees people off.

Keep it simple and call a spade a spade....it's advertising!
Collapse

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:00
English to Chinese
+ ...
I haven't received such an email... Oct 30, 2007

And after checking my settings page, I found it's unchecked by default. I like this.

Mads Grøftehauge
Mads Grøftehauge  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:00
English to Danish
+ ...
alienating writing style Oct 31, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:
ProZ.com needs editors, perhaps.

When I got (sorry, 'Upon my receipt of') this message, my first reaction was to send the following to [email protected] (it bounced as the mailbox appears to have been closed, probably due to a lot of first-reaction messages):

-

"Subject: New alienating proze style.

What?
Why can't this guy write like one person to another?

This feels like a faceless corporation addressing its cash herd rather than the colleague-style ProZ of old.
You make me not like you so much anymore.

In addition, this dreadful marketing proze style is hard to understand - sorry, I guess that should be 'comprehend' - or maybe 'grasp the inherent meaning of'.
I had to read every sentence/paragraph twice."

-

BTW, who's taking bets on when SDL will buy ProZ too? 2008? 2009?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New service: receive (or decline) vendor offers by email‏

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »