https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_job_systems/87772-new_service_receive_or_decline_vendor_offers_by_email%E2%80%8F.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
New service: receive (or decline) vendor offers by email‏
Thread poster: Levan Namoradze
Levan Namoradze
Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 20:10
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
Oct 27, 2007

Today, on October 27, 2007, I received the message from Proz stating as follows:

"Thanks for supporting ProZ.com.

Part of ProZ.com's mission is to provide favorable access to work-related tools for translators and translation companies. Advertising solutions as viewed as part of a broader information service; they are designed with the intention of serving both vendors and members, by facilitating communication.

Now, to enhance our advertising services, v
... See more
Today, on October 27, 2007, I received the message from Proz stating as follows:

"Thanks for supporting ProZ.com.

Part of ProZ.com's mission is to provide favorable access to work-related tools for translators and translation companies. Advertising solutions as viewed as part of a broader information service; they are designed with the intention of serving both vendors and members, by facilitating communication.

Now, to enhance our advertising services, vendors in the translation industry will be given the opportunity to have information and offers on their products sent by email to ProZ.com members who wish to receive such information.

The first of such offers will be sent shortly. If you would not like to receive such offers, please de-select the option to receive “third party offers” by email on your profile page under settings then other email notifications. You may do so by visiting this page: http://www.proz.com/remove

Note that the site privacy policy will be modified to accommodate this new service. To be clear, vendors will not have access to member emails under this new service; offers will be sent by ProZ.com on behalf of vendors.

We look forward to bringing you great offers, and enhancing our vendor services, through this new initiative.

Regards,

Drew MacFadyen
Advertising Manager
ProZ.com"

MY OPINION IS THAT I (WE) DO NOT NEED THAT!!! THERE IS NO NEED IN ANY MEDIATION BETWEEN ME (US) AND OUR POTENTIAL CLIENTS. I DO NOT NEED ANYONE "TO PASS" CLIENTS' MESSAGES TO ME THAT WAY. PLEASE, KINDLY REMOVE THAT NEW OPTION FROM PROZ. THAT IS MY KIND REQUEST SO FAR AS BEING PLATINUM MEMBER FOR THE LAST THREE YEARS.
REGARDS,
LEVAN

[Edited at 2007-10-27 07:41]
Collapse

Levan Namoradze
Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
and ... Oct 27, 2007

And strange that the service was introduced on Friday and the message was sent on Friday (i.e. by end of the business week, when people use leaving for weekends) as well.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:10
English to German
+ ...
Should be set to 'decline' as default for members Oct 27, 2007

Hi Levan,
I can see the point from ProZ.com's perspective, but for paying members, this option should be set to 'decline' as default.

Best regards,
Ralf

Levan Namoradze
Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well Oct 27, 2007

Dear Ralf,

Thank you for your answer. I noticed that option as well. However, I got a feeling that such 'decline' may prevent some (all?) clients from accessing me via my e-mail account. I do rather object any interference in direct client-translator relationships. And I do want clients seeing my e-mail address.

Kind regards,
Levan

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:40
German to English
Confused Oct 27, 2007

Levan Namoradze wrote:

I do rather object any interference in direct client-translator relationships. And I do want clients seeing my e-mail address.

Does this have anything to do with client-translator relationships? I thought it was about advertising products that could be useful to translators.

Could someone please clarify?

Thanks,
Niraja

Alekos Psimikakis
Alekos Psimikakis  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:10
English to Greek
+ ...
DECLINE VENDOR OFFERS BY DEFAULT Oct 27, 2007

MY OPINION IS THAT I (WE) DO NOT NEED THAT!!! THERE IS NO NEED IN ANY MEDIATION BETWEEN ME (US) AND OUR POTENTIAL CLIENTS. I DO NOT NEED ANYONE "TO PASS" CLIENTS' MESSAGES TO ME THAT WAY. PLEASE, KINDLY REMOVE THAT NEW OPTION FROM PROZ. THAT IS MY KIND REQUEST SO FAR AS BEING PLATINUM MEMBER FOR THE LAST THREE YEARS.
REGARDS,
LEVAN

[Edited at 2007-10-27 07:41]

I agree totally. The default option should be "Decline vendor offers" or a link through which one can set the option "Yes, I want ...", if one wishes to receive such emails.

Alekos

Alekos Psimikakis
Alekos Psimikakis  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:10
English to Greek
+ ...
DECLINE VENDOR OFFERS BY DEFAULT Oct 27, 2007

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Levan,
I can see the point from ProZ.com's perspective, but for paying members, this option should be set to 'decline' as default.

Best regards,
Ralf

I agree.

Alekos

Levan Namoradze
Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 27, 2007

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

Levan Namoradze wrote:

I do rather object any interference in direct client-translator relationships. And I do want clients seeing my e-mail address.

Does this have anything to do with client-translator relationships? I thought it was about advertising products that could be useful to translators.

Could someone please clarify?

Thanks,
Niraja

Dear Niraja,

As I wrote above, I got a feeling and I am afraid that such 'decline' may prevent some (all?) clients from accessing me via my e-mail account.

Kind regards,
Levan

Levan Namoradze
Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to be clearer Oct 27, 2007

To be clearer, I am confused with the statement:

"Note that the site privacy policy will be modified to accommodate this new service. To be clear, vendors will not have access to member emails under this new service; offers will be sent by ProZ.com on behalf of vendors."

I can not understand any need or necessity of the above.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I have no objection to op-out lists Oct 27, 2007

Levan Namoradze wrote:
MY OPINION IS THAT I (WE) DO NOT NEED THAT!!! THERE IS NO NEED IN ANY MEDIATION BETWEEN ME (US) AND OUR POTENTIAL CLIENTS.

If I understand correctly, *you* are the potential client in this case.

I, for one, do not mind having the option to receive promotional mails on an opt-out basis as long as I know that my opt out will be honoured (and since ProZ.com is the distributor, I believe they will honour such requests).

Levan Namoradze
Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see Oct 27, 2007

Dear Samuel,

I see. At the same time, I am afraid that such op-out option may prevent some of my (our) clients from accessing me as well. I should state my fears clearer.

Kind regards,
Levan

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No interference Oct 27, 2007

Hi Levan,

Thank you for your answer. I noticed that option as well. However, I got a feeling that such 'decline' may prevent some (all?) clients from accessing me via my e-mail account.

Not sure whether we're talking about the same thing: the settings page that's accessible via www.proz.com/remove is the same as under My ProZ.com - My Settings - Notification settings/Email preferences - Other notifications. To opt out of the notifications discussed here, you need to uncheck "Check this box if you would like to receive special offers and communications from ProZ.com on behalf of select, approved translation industry vendors.".

Where do you see a risk that (potential) clients might no longer be able to contact you?

I see no interference whatsoever in that respect.

Regards,
Ralf

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Trying to clarify Oct 27, 2007

Hi Niraja,

Does this have anything to do with client-translator relationships?

Nothing at all.

Best regards,
Ralf

Cecilia Paris
Cecilia Paris  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
What's in it for members? Oct 27, 2007

"Part of ProZ.com's mission is to provide favorable access to work-related tools for translators and translation companies. Advertising solutions as viewed as part of a broader information service; they are designed with the intention of serving both vendors and members, by facilitating communication..."

What exactly will we (translators) be receiving? Job offers? Translation agency advertisements? How will we benefit from this "service"?

Not sure I understand wh
... See more
"Part of ProZ.com's mission is to provide favorable access to work-related tools for translators and translation companies. Advertising solutions as viewed as part of a broader information service; they are designed with the intention of serving both vendors and members, by facilitating communication..."

What exactly will we (translators) be receiving? Job offers? Translation agency advertisements? How will we benefit from this "service"?

Not sure I understand what we are being offered here.
Collapse

Levan Namoradze
Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 27, 2007

Dear Ralf,

Thank you very much for clarification.

As far as I understood, Proz intends sending vendors' offers on their behalf. And I could/can not understand that. Why they (vendors) may not send offers themselves? I can not also understand the mechanism of the above. A vendor sends me an offer. Proz reviews(?) such offer and omits/forwards it to me on behalf of the said vendor. Is that correct? If yes, then what is the use of that? At the same time, does that mean tha
... See more
Dear Ralf,

Thank you very much for clarification.

As far as I understood, Proz intends sending vendors' offers on their behalf. And I could/can not understand that. Why they (vendors) may not send offers themselves? I can not also understand the mechanism of the above. A vendor sends me an offer. Proz reviews(?) such offer and omits/forwards it to me on behalf of the said vendor. Is that correct? If yes, then what is the use of that? At the same time, does that mean that Proz will review all messages to be sent to me via my link given in my Proz account? If yes, then would that review include all messages? (Even those sent by potential clients.)

I hope now I am clear.

Kind regards,
Levan
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New service: receive (or decline) vendor offers by email‏

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »