Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Request to remove "improvement": 'Restrict searches to candidates with CVs/resumes on file'
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 06:06
Spanish
+ ...
Jan 24, 2008

I just saw the announcement of the new Connect features and I am concerned about one of the new "improvements":

- Restrict searches to candidates with CVs/resumes on file

This issue has been pointed out by many members including myself. I refuse to have my CV uploaded, until ProZ does something specific and effective to guarantee that MY personal, professional, or any kind of information, won't be indexed by any s
... See more
I just saw the announcement of the new Connect features and I am concerned about one of the new "improvements":

- Restrict searches to candidates with CVs/resumes on file

This issue has been pointed out by many members including myself. I refuse to have my CV uploaded, until ProZ does something specific and effective to guarantee that MY personal, professional, or any kind of information, won't be indexed by any search engine, accessed by random people nor copied by unethical so-called translators.

Many of these Connect "improvements" have been criticized by many of us members, because they're plain unfair for translators, and of course, the criticism has been acknowledged but completely ignored by the ProZ staff; but this new one is just outrageous and absolutely UNACCEPTABLE: you either agree to have your CV information all over the Internet, or you'll be excluded from the search results. Well, no.

So I urge the staff to cancel this brand new feature until something concrete is done to protect my privacy.

Claudia

PS. Moderators, please don't move this thread to 'Suggestions' because it is not a suggestion.

[Edited at 2008-01-24 22:12]
Collapse

Vidmantas Stilius
Vidmantas Stilius  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:06
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
In memoriam
Fully agree Jan 24, 2008

All these new features increase the number of scam emails rather than job offers.

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:06
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
AGREE Jan 24, 2008

100%

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:06
Danish to English
+ ...
Agree Jan 24, 2008

You said it loud and clear.
I also want control over my privacy.

Agnieszka Zmuda
Agnieszka Zmuda  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:06
English to Polish
Agree 100% as well Jan 24, 2008

I have removed my CV from my profile and don't understand why I should be punished for this.
Unfortunately, the way information leaks out from ProZ.com pages into the Internet has made me come back to a nickname, which normally isn't quite in line with my policy but I hate to see my full name and every utterance I have ever made at ProZ's fora or at KudoZ being omnipresent in the net in all possible language combinations.
As Blangsted has already said, I also want to have control ov
... See more
I have removed my CV from my profile and don't understand why I should be punished for this.
Unfortunately, the way information leaks out from ProZ.com pages into the Internet has made me come back to a nickname, which normally isn't quite in line with my policy but I hate to see my full name and every utterance I have ever made at ProZ's fora or at KudoZ being omnipresent in the net in all possible language combinations.
As Blangsted has already said, I also want to have control over my privacy. It is largely because of your inability to guarantee this that I visit ProZ less and less often and don't voice opinions anymore. I have made an exception today, as I feel very strongly that I just need to have my say on this subject.
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
How about more control over access to your CV? Jan 24, 2008

Hi everyone,

Would it help if we gave you more control over who could access your CV? For example, we could provide CV visibility options like the following:
() Visible to all,
() Visible to logged in users,
() Visible to paying members,
() Visible only to me

Or, alternatively:
() Visible to everyone
() Visible to outsourcers only
() Visible only to me

Would this help address any concerns?

Best regards,

Jason

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 06:06
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Search engine indexes Jan 24, 2008

I think each member should have as many visibility options as possible. But most important than that, and because I'm sure search bots keep getting smarter by the day, a security mechanism to protect this kind of information should be put in place. For instance, uploaded CVs should be automatically converted to non-searchable images and made private by default.

[Edited at 2008-01-24 23:25]

Alyona Douglas
Alyona Douglas  Identity Verified
United States
English to Russian
I like this Jan 25, 2008

Jason Grimes wrote:

() Visible to all,
() Visible to logged in users,
() Visible to paying members,
() Visible only to me

[/quote]

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:36
German to English
CV will be submitted upon request Jan 25, 2008

We were told that if we choose the option of not uploading our CVs, the message "CV will be submitted upon request" or any other such message we choose would appear on our profiles, and the profile would still be considered complete. This still shows a willingness to provide a CV if the client requests one, so it is the same to me as having a CV on file. Could those of us who have this message on our profiles also be included in the restricted search?

[Edited at 2008-01-25 00:54]

Elisabete Cunha
Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:06
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I agree with Claudia Jan 25, 2008

When I first became a Proz.com member I also uploaded my CV, but due to some problems with a colleague I have decided to remove it.

I also don't think the profile should be considered as incomplete because of this. However, in "User Info" there is a permanent yellow cross that reminds me of that.

I don't intend to upload my CV ever again. I will gladly provide it to an outsourcer upon request. I just don't want it to be available to anyone who visits my profile.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:06
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Declined CV and profile completeness Jan 25, 2008

Elisabete Cunha wrote:

When I first became a Proz.com member I also uploaded my CV, but due to some problems with a colleague I have decided to remove it.

I also don't think the profile should be considered as incomplete because of this. However, in "User Info" there is a permanent yellow cross that reminds me of that.

Hi Elisabete,

Your profile will not considered incomplete if you declare that you declined to upload your CV. The "yellow cross" in your profile is due to the lack of project history information. By the way, you could decline to enter that information as well (and then your profile would have all its fields covered).

Regards,
Enrique

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Fundamental change needed Jan 25, 2008

From my personal point of view, I see the urgent need to move away from this much-abused CV business (see related threads on EU tenders, for example). What ProZ.com needs to do in my opinion is to encourage outsourcers to use other methods than indiscriminate CV harvesting. I, for one, have stopped sending out CVs a long time ago, as there are other ways to convince outsourcers of the quality I offer (initially, I usually point them to my profile information).

My 2c worth,
St
... See more
From my personal point of view, I see the urgent need to move away from this much-abused CV business (see related threads on EU tenders, for example). What ProZ.com needs to do in my opinion is to encourage outsourcers to use other methods than indiscriminate CV harvesting. I, for one, have stopped sending out CVs a long time ago, as there are other ways to convince outsourcers of the quality I offer (initially, I usually point them to my profile information).

My 2c worth,
Steffen
Collapse

Jeannette Gustavus (X)
Jeannette Gustavus (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Thank you Jan 25, 2008

for starting this thread!

I too have decided not to put my CV online because I don't want my private information available all over the net. It would be terrible if those of us who feel wary about having our addresses, phone numbers, etc. searchable through Google would be punished by having our profiles filtered out of searches.

Idoia Echenique
Idoia Echenique  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
Totally agree Jan 25, 2008

Jeannette Gustavus wrote:

I too have decided not to put my CV online because I don't want my private information available all over the net. It would be terrible if those of us who feel wary about having our addresses, phone numbers, etc. searchable through Google would be punished by having our profiles filtered out of searches.

I totally agree. Since I work at home, I don't feel comfortable having my phone number and personal address on the net. As for giving information to potential clients in a first stage, I think that country and town are enough for anyone to see where I am. Obviously, once the contact is made, I have no problem to provide them with my phone number, full address or other personal details.

Best regards,
Idoia

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:06
French to English
+ ...
How do you decline to show CV/project history though? Jan 25, 2008

I've just had a quick glance at my profile and can't see anywhere that allows you to decline to show projects or show your CV. I currently have my CV there, but in view of the comments made here, I should like to remove it and am not sure how I do that either! I must agree with others who've said they don't like to see the big X next to Profile complete in my summary, especially when I feel I have gone the extra mile to add as much information as I'm happy displaying on the internet.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Request to remove "improvement": 'Restrict searches to candidates with CVs/resumes on file'

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »