Only members can post in this forum

Is it possible to find continuous work at ProZ.com?
Thread poster: Vítor Cortes
Vítor Cortes
Vítor Cortes
Portugal
Local time: 22:14
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 11, 2013

I subscribed myself in proz.com today hoping to find some translation work.

I wonder if it is possible to find continuous work on this website. Thank you.

Vítor

IrimiConsulting
IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 23:14
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oh yeah! Apr 11, 2013

I have only ever landed one posted translation job, but I have received several inquiries resulting in long term cooperations with new clients. Had I not been registered here, those clients would never have found me. My membership fee have paid off very well.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Vitor Apr 11, 2013

To get started, please take a look at Lucia's post here:
http://www.proz.com/post/1670050#1670050

as well as at other posts in that thread.

Good luck!
Natalia

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
It certainly is! But make sure you are applying the winning strategies Apr 11, 2013

Hello Vítor,

Thanks for investing in your business through ProZ.com membership!

As Natalie suggests, I have posted at http://www.proz.com/post/1670050#1670050 a few important points every ProZ.com member should have in mind if they want to meet clients at ProZ.com. Take a look at that post and let me know if you have any doubts.

I'd also like to invite you
... See more
Hello Vítor,

Thanks for investing in your business through ProZ.com membership!

As Natalie suggests, I have posted at http://www.proz.com/post/1670050#1670050 a few important points every ProZ.com member should have in mind if they want to meet clients at ProZ.com. Take a look at that post and let me know if you have any doubts.

I'd also like to invite you to register for the upcoming free webinar on "Meeting clients at ProZ.com", http://www.proz.com/pages/meeting_clients_webinar , or else watch this short video:

http://www.proz.com/videos/tutorials%20on%20proz.com/224

You will also find other useful resources here:

http://www.proz.com/guidance-center/additional-resources/

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Stephanie Welsh
Stephanie Welsh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Definitely! Apr 11, 2013

I have been a member for a couple of months now and made my membership fee back within the first week.
Even if the client does not give me the job advertised on Proz, I get an offer for a different job or get put on agency's books.
It has definitely paid off and I now get all my work through here.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:44
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It depends on how good you are Apr 12, 2013

Many jobs are advertised here and for many more jobs translators get contacted directly from their profile. The better paying jobs and jobs from the better agencies fall in the latter category.

It all boils down to how good you are, how good your experience, qualifications, language pairs are.

Some language pairs like English to Hindi generate regular large volumes of work, some exotic pairs less.

Proz.com is just a tool, how well you use it, or how much pr
... See more
Many jobs are advertised here and for many more jobs translators get contacted directly from their profile. The better paying jobs and jobs from the better agencies fall in the latter category.

It all boils down to how good you are, how good your experience, qualifications, language pairs are.

Some language pairs like English to Hindi generate regular large volumes of work, some exotic pairs less.

Proz.com is just a tool, how well you use it, or how much profitably, is governed by many factors that would be specific to you.
Collapse

Vítor Cortes
Vítor Cortes
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I suppose... Apr 12, 2013

In fact, just by updating my profile, I received already (well, almost immediately), a translation proposal. However, what worries me are the rates that employers want to charge, i. e., come asking for $0.02 per word? That is unacceptable! But it's just my point of view.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It is largely a matter of luck Apr 12, 2013

Vítor Cortes wrote:
I subscribed myself in Proz.com today, hoping to find some translation work. I wonder if it is possible to find continuous work on this website.

If you do find a lot of work via ProZ.com, then it is luck, or fate. There are so many variables that can influence whether you get work via ProZ.com or not. Unfortunately we have very little in the way of statistics to prove either opinion but there is anecdotal evidence (for both yay and nay sayers).

The best thing you should do is to regard ProZ.com as just one of the many arrows in your quiver. You may get one or more once-off clients here, or you may get one or more very regular clients here, but it is impossible to predict.

The best you can do is to maximise your potential on ProZ.com and hope for the best. This includes having a well-written profile page and making sure that your profile page will catch all the relevant filters. Also, be prompt when replying to job posts (if you ever get them). Also, make use of the lists of agencies that are on this web site to find new clients and contact them directly:

http://www.proz.com/translation-companies/ (first)
http://www.proz.com/blueboard (later)

Vítor Cortes
Vítor Cortes
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, you're right! Apr 13, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

Vítor Cortes wrote:
I subscribed myself in Proz.com today, hoping to find some translation work. I wonder if it is possible to find continuous work on this website.

If you do find a lot of work via ProZ.com, then it is luck, or fate. There are so many variables that can influence whether you get work via ProZ.com or not. Unfortunately we have very little in the way of statistics to prove either opinion but there is anecdotal evidence (for both yay and nay sayers).

The best thing you should do is to regard ProZ.com as just one of the many arrows in your quiver. You may get one or more once-off clients here, or you may get one or more very regular clients here, but it is impossible to predict.

The best you can do is to maximise your potential on ProZ.com and hope for the best. This includes having a well-written profile page and making sure that your profile page will catch all the relevant filters. Also, be prompt when replying to job posts (if you ever get them). Also, make use of the lists of agencies that are on this web site to find new clients and contact them directly:

http://www.proz.com/translation-companies/ (first)
http://www.proz.com/blueboard (later)

To tell the truth, I'm not a bit satisfied with this website.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Very satisfied Apr 13, 2013

Vítor Cortes wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
Vítor Cortes wrote:

If you do find a lot of work via ProZ.com, then it is luck, or fate. ... The best thing you should do is to regard ProZ.com as just one of the many arrows in your quiver.

Yes, you're right! To tell the truth, I'm not a bit satisfied with this website.

Oh, I'm quite satisfied with it. Remember, ProZ.com is just one of the many avenues that you must pursue to get jobs. There are many opportunities here to maximise your potential.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
hmmm Apr 13, 2013

Stephanie Welsh wrote:

I have been a member for a couple of months now and made my membership fee back within the first week.
Even if the client does not give me the job advertised on Proz, I get an offer for a different job or get put on agency's books.
It has definitely paid off and I now get all my work through here.

Tell me your secret.

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
What about a bit of patience? Apr 13, 2013

Vítor Cortes wrote:

To tell the truth, I'm not a bit satisfied with this website.

As far as I can see you only just joined, so don't expect miracles.
I don't know how much demand there is for your language pairs, but I have found some very good clients here. It does take a bit of patience and perseverance though.

Wolfgang Vogt
Wolfgang Vogt  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:14
English to German
+ ...
yes Apr 13, 2013

Hi Vítor,

As a general reply I would simply answer 'Yes' to your question. It is definitely possible and I have met quite a few people who found work through this page. I've been a member for two years now and it worked very well for me.

However, you should be aware that your success depends on a great variety of factors. Take your time and search and read through the forums, participate in them and take advantage of the free webinars, for example.

Regardi
... See more
Hi Vítor,

As a general reply I would simply answer 'Yes' to your question. It is definitely possible and I have met quite a few people who found work through this page. I've been a member for two years now and it worked very well for me.

However, you should be aware that your success depends on a great variety of factors. Take your time and search and read through the forums, participate in them and take advantage of the free webinars, for example.

Regarding the proposal of $0.02 per word, you can check the average rates for your language pair with the rate calculater. This might not be 100% accurate as people may accept jobs for lower/higher rates than they stated in their profiles, but you'll soon see what can be considered acceptable and what not. What's more, there have been a lot of forum discussions around this topic where you might find valuable advice.

Good luck!
-Wolfgang
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to find continuous work at ProZ.com?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »