Only members can post in this forum

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
A site user copied my CV!
Thread poster: ahmadwadan.com

ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 02:08
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 30, 2007

What if you found another member using an existing company name (with one letter ‎change) as his ID and your CV (after changing only the contacts). Yes, your CV ‎‎(exactly the same except your contacts have been replaced with his). What do you ‎think the fair punishment he deserves? This happened with me.‎

Now my CV has been indexed in favor of another prozian. Now I and another ‎company have been exploited by immoral member. I already contacted site staff and ‎the thief changed his fake CV (after a site staff conducted him to do) with another CV ‎‎(I donno whose on it is this time). However, I'm still harmed. I have investigated this ‎guy and knew that he has been fired from the company he is using its name now ‎because of reasons similar to this case (fraud).‎

Shall I disclose the URL of this member?‎
What is the right action should site staff take or just changing his fake CV is fair and ‎case closed?‎

What do you see?‎

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-04-30 20:43]


Direct link
 

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:08
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
It is not the first time it has happened Apr 30, 2007

Hi Ahmad,

This is not the first time this has happened. I remember the same thing happened to somebody last year. You might find the thread via a search. I believe in that case the imitator was just made to remove it and write his/her own CV.

Astrid

See this thread: http://www.proz.com/topic/58996?start=0&float=

[Edited at 2007-04-30 22:57]


Direct link
 
Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:08
English to Spanish
I wonder Apr 30, 2007

I am sorry to hear this. After all, a CV takes ages to finish and to have it copied it is simply appalling.

I wonder what the law says on it.

A CV is very much your own product (of course, with the exception of those who have no creativity/originality and no ethics); as the author of it, one should be able to place a copy right declaration at the end. Is this possible?

Any one knows? I would love to know far more on copyright law (to apply to webpages, translation samples and CVs).

--------------------

Leaving aside layout, originality and wording*; the fact that someone can get to copy your work history is surreal and I believe we should be able to identify publicly the person who is obviously lying.

*mmm, I thought a translator should not be struggling for words to this extent...
---------------------

Why ProZ does not give guidelines on these issues?



Kind regards,

Marta

[Edited at 2007-05-01 01:38]

[Edited at 2007-05-01 01:39]


Direct link
 

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 06:08
English to Indonesian
+ ...
not only cv... May 1, 2007

... people are copying keywords as well

Direct link
 

ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 02:08
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
He is not a translator May 1, 2007

What made it worse is that the guy who did that is not a translator he is a DTPer!

Direct link
 

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:08
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Surely he should be banned from ProZ? May 1, 2007

Ahmad Wadan wrote:

What if you found another member using an existing company name (with one letter ‎change) as his ID and your CV (after changing only the contacts). Yes, your CV ‎‎(exactly the same except your contacts have been replaced with his). What do you ‎think the fair punishment he deserves? This happened with me.‎

Now my CV has been indexed in favor of another prozian. Now I and another ‎company have been exploited by immoral member. I already contacted site staff and ‎the thief changed his fake CV (after a site staff conducted him to do) with another CV ‎‎(I donno whose on it is this time). However, I'm still harmed. I have investigated this ‎guy and knew that he has been fired from the company he is using its name now ‎because of reasons similar to this case (fraud).‎

Shall I disclose the URL of this member?‎
What is the right action should site staff take or just changing his fake CV is fair and ‎case closed?‎

What do you see?‎

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-04-30 20:43]


That's disgraceful, Ahmad,
Surely he should be banned from using ProZ. What do the site staff think?
Kind regards,
Jenny.


Direct link
 

ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 02:08
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Site staff asked him to delete my copied CV May 1, 2007

Jenny Forbes wrote:

That's disgraceful, Ahmad,
Surely he should be banned from using ProZ. What do the site staff think?
Kind regards,
Jenny.


Site staff has promptly asked him to delete my copied CV and he did. Regarding actions taken against him by site staff I got this answer: "Dear Ahmad, Please note that I don't mean that no actions will be taken about the offending profile, but this kind of actions are not discussed with other site members."

I agree with you that he should be banned from using Proz. And I believe actions against such fraud should be declared to member somehow.


Direct link
 

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
Swedish
+ ...
Everything can be copied.. May 1, 2007

This happens on and on and there is no technical solution to stop this. Even complete websites can be copied..

So we are no longer surprised to see our website text on other websites.

Regards
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2007-05-01 08:24]

Updated:
[parts deleted above as plagiarizer informed us about good visitor statistics due to this posting]


[Redigerad 2008-03-19 12:28]


Direct link
 
Manuela Ferrari  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:08
English to Italian
+ ...
how did you find out? May 1, 2007

Hi Ahmad,

I also think that this is disgraceful and that such a person should be banned from using Proz.com. I also wonder though how you managed to find out (and thankfully you did!) that this user had copied your CV. Did you just find out by chance? If so, I wonder how many more people there are out there who copy other people's CVs, profiles, keywords, etc. and go undetected.

Regards,
Manu


Direct link
 

ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 02:08
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A friend detected it by chance May 1, 2007

Manuela Ferrari wrote:

Hi Ahmad,

I also think that this is disgraceful and that such a person should be banned from using Proz.com. I also wonder though how you managed to find out (and thankfully you did!) that this user had copied your CV. Did you just find out by chance? If so, I wonder how many more people there are out there who copy other people's CVs, profiles, keywords, etc. and go undetected.

Regards,
Manu



Hi Manu,
Actually it is not me who detected it but a friend was searching using his company as a keyword and he discovered that guy using the company name as his nick name and my CV as his. 2 strikes then!


Direct link
 

ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 02:08
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are right May 1, 2007

Erik Hansson wrote:

This happens on and on and there is no technical solution to stop this. Even complete websites can be copied..

So we are no longer surprised to see our website text on other websites.

Compare

www.hansson.de (English version)

with this fellow's website

and you will soon notice that this is a clear case of copyright infringement.

Any German lawyer would be able to proof the fact that the source code on our website is our intellectual property.

Regards
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2007-05-01 08:24]


Hi Erik,
You are right. I recently knew that some persons/companies copy a whole website and all what they do is to change the brand name!


Direct link
 

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
Swedish
+ ...
Updated May 1, 2007

Ahmad Wadan wrote:

Hi Erik,
You are right. I recently knew that some persons/companies copy a whole website and all what they do is to change the brand name!


In cases like these (it happens now and then), when the complete text has been copied, I often write an ironic letter to the person in question. First I express my gratitude for their confidence in my text, but then I add an complaint as the text hasn't been copied properly, as my personal and communication data etc. are not inserted

I guess that's the only way to deal with this. International copyright infringement is very often a topic just for big companies with top-level lawyers.

Erik



[Redigerad 2008-03-19 12:29]


Direct link
 

Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 02:08
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
I have seen Proz Profile copied May 1, 2007

Hi,

Yes I have seen the whole proz profile copied

CV copying person should be warned! If warning does not help he/she should be banned.

If warning does not help, you can ask his datat and adopt your style into his data and charge him a couple hours creative writing.

For 2 hours I would charge min €250.
With this kind of invoice you would straighten him/her

Good luck

Nizam


Direct link
 
Marcelina Haftka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:08
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
I don't understand... May 1, 2007

It is really disgusting to copy another person's cv - as far as I can see, such a thief (how to say it in other words?) have no time / experience / knowledge to write his or her own résumé. (By the way, Ahmad, was it someone from your country? Or did he/she steal your cv without carrying about "details"?)

But I cannot understand at all, why would someone copy a profile and keywords? We usually have quite specific information there which can be completely different from the thief's work and capacities.

Especially if it was a DTPer...

Regards,
Marcelina.


Direct link
 

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
Swedish
+ ...
A matter of IQ May 1, 2007

Cyborg wrote:

But I cannot understand at all, why would someone copy a profile and keywords? We usually have quite specific information there which can be completely different from the thief's work and capacities.

Especially if it was a DTPer...

Regards,
Marcelina.


Nobody told that plagiarizers are very clever people..

Copying a CV is not only theft, it's also unfair against prospective clients who get a wrong picture of this person's qualities and abilities. The first job from a new client will then always be the last one, as client is not happy with the work. It must be exhausting to permanently seek for new clients..


Direct link
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A site user copied my CV!

Advanced search






Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search