Only members can post in this forum

Suggestion in respect of date of membership.
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 06:06
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Feb 16, 2008

I registered at proz.com in October, 2002 and have become a (paying) member in January this year. I have been actively contributing to the KudoZ and other activities since October, 2002 but as per the current provision, the date of membership is shown from the date when one becomes a paying member. I think that this is somewhat unfair and misleading as it gives an impression that the person has joined the site just recently, whereas in fact, he is involved from so many years. The outsourcers,... See more
I registered at proz.com in October, 2002 and have become a (paying) member in January this year. I have been actively contributing to the KudoZ and other activities since October, 2002 but as per the current provision, the date of membership is shown from the date when one becomes a paying member. I think that this is somewhat unfair and misleading as it gives an impression that the person has joined the site just recently, whereas in fact, he is involved from so many years. The outsourcers, agencies, members and other people might think that since the person has become a member recently, he may not be having enough experience and expertise.

Therefore, I suggest that the date of membership should be shown from the date of registration rather than becoming a member. If it is not possible to do so, we may have both:

Registered on...
Became a member on...
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:36
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Everybody can see that you have been active since 2002 Feb 16, 2008

I am not sure what you mean. Your profile page states: Registered at ProZ.com: Oct 2002. Became a member: Jan 2008

Prospective clients will see the very same information.

??

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your answer, but... Feb 16, 2008

this fact is not displayed everywhere. For example, this forum posting says that I am a member since 2008. I think it would be better if we have have both:

Registered on...
Became a member on...

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I am not sure what you mean. Your profile page states: Registered at ProZ.com: Oct 2002. Became a member: Jan 2008

Prospective clients will see the very same information.

??

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
Nicole is right... Feb 16, 2008

.....and if an outsourcer or anyone else sees your name in the forum or in KudoZ and they are interested, they will click on your name and be directed to your profile, where they will see all the relevant information.

langclinic wrote:

The outsourcers, agencies, members and other people might think that since the person has become a member recently, he may not be having enough experience and expertise.

There is no doubt that you yourself have a lot of experience and expertise. However, it has nothing to do with whether a member has joined recently or has been registered on ProZ.com for years.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:36
Italian to English
+ ...
I see langclinic's point Feb 17, 2008

I think it's a perfectly reasonable request. A recent membership date may lead others to think that a certain member is not familiar with Proz rules and regulations, even if they've actually been using the site for years. One wouldn't necessarily check their profile before making a false assumption.

[Edited at 2008-02-17 18:01]

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:36
Italian to English
So do I Feb 17, 2008

I agree with Marie Hélène. It's a fair point.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion in respect of date of membership.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »