What are the pros and cons of creating a project history?
Thread poster: Marina Steinbach

Marina Steinbach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:00
Member
English to German
+ ...
Dec 29, 2011

Dear Colleagues,

I have been looking at some of your profiles today and noticed that not all of you have displayed a project history.

Therefore my question: What are the pros and cons of making ones project history public?

Cheers,

Marina


[Edited at 2011-12-30 15:48 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:00
English to German
+ ...
Space is limited... Dec 30, 2011

Marina Steinbach wrote:

I have been looking at some of your profiles today and noticed that not all of you have displayed a project history.



... and my accounts are sacred.

This feature might be extremely helpful for anyone who is starting out fresh from translation school and who does not have any other previous professional experience and therefor no particular proven field of expertise. Provided that such translation samples are not bound by any copyrights.

Translators who are also medical doctors, lawyers, scientists, engineers, etc. will probably refrain from publishing silly text samples to prove that they know that they know their stuff.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Benefits of using the Project history system Dec 30, 2011

Hello Marina,

The Project History section in profiles allows you to keep a record of projects done, by language, field and other characteristics, organize your records and keep track of payments. It is also an excellent option to display general details of select projects you have worked on in order to communicate to potential clients and collaborators the nature of your past experience and promote your services further, not to mention that it also allows you to collect and display clients' feedback without disclosing their names.

Note that the Project History section is different from the Portfolio section though. While in the Portfolio section you will be asked to enter sample texts of translations you have worked on and show them in your profile, the Project History section only asks for the title of the project you have done, the volume, the field and other details without the need to show an actual piece of your work.

You can find more information about these two profile sections here:

http://www.proz.com/faq/806#806

http://www.proz.com/faq/4279#4279

Please let me know if you need any help with getting the most out of these two features.

Kind regards,

Lucia


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marina Steinbach  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:00
Member
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think you’re confusing "project history" with "portfolio". Dec 30, 2011

Hello Nicole,

I think you’re confusing "project history" with "portfolio".

Nicole Schnell wrote:

... and my accounts are sacred.

This feature might be extremely helpful for anyone who is starting out fresh from translation school and who does not have any other previous professional experience and therefor no particular proven field of expertise. Provided that such translation samples are not bound by any copyrights.

Translators who are also medical doctors, lawyers, scientists, engineers, etc. will probably refrain from publishing silly text samples to prove that they know that they know their stuff.


Lucia explained the differences in her posting as follows.

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Note that the Project History section is different from the Portfolio section though. While in the Portfolio section you will be asked to enter sample texts of translations you have worked on and show them in your profile, the Project History section only asks for the title of the project you have done, the volume, the field and other details without the need to show an actual piece of your work.


Therefore, I was wondering why one would not want to make this section public.

Kind regards,

Marina


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:00
English to German
+ ...
Yep. Lucia explained it about 4 hour ago. :-) Dec 30, 2011

Marina Steinbach wrote:

Hello Nicole,

I think you’re confusing "project history" with "portfolio".

Nicole Schnell wrote:

... and my accounts are sacred.

This feature might be extremely helpful for anyone who is starting out fresh from translation school and who does not have any other previous professional experience and therefor no particular proven field of expertise. Provided that such translation samples are not bound by any copyrights.

Translators who are also medical doctors, lawyers, scientists, engineers, etc. will probably refrain from publishing silly text samples to prove that they know that they know their stuff.


Lucia explained the differences in her posting as follows.

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Note that the Project History section is different from the Portfolio section though. While in the Portfolio section you will be asked to enter sample texts of translations you have worked on and show them in your profile, the Project History section only asks for the title of the project you have done, the volume, the field and other details without the need to show an actual piece of your work.


Therefore, I was wondering why one would not want to make this section public.

Kind regards,

Marina



I can read.

However, I don't use either of them.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the pros and cons of creating a project history?

Advanced search






Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search