How to make a good profile and a great CV
Thread poster: Caio Colombini
Caio Colombini  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:00
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 26, 2012

Hi people!

I'm new here and I'm having a lot of troubles because I've never worked as a translator and don't know how to make my profile looks like "wow, I just need him working for me" and my CV too.

I also never worked actually, I'm 18, student of dentistry, but I have 10 years of experience with english (particular classes). I tried to quote for a lot of jobs, but no answers, and I guess it's because my profile must be "not enough" and my CV even worse.

I read some topics here where some people talked about doing some jobs for free on the beginning, but I don't think it's a good idea (at least not for me), so, let's get to the point:

I want you to take a look at my profile and my CV (you can get it at my profile) and give me some tips, like what can I put on it if I never had any experience with translation, and I also want you to tell me what do you think about this "idea" of doing some jobs for free, and finally I want you to help me with my rates as a beginner.

That's it.

note: I don't know if that's the right section for it, but if it's not, please, don't hesitate letting me know.

Bye

Direct link Reply with quote

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:00
German to English
+ ...
One hint Apr 26, 2012

Hi, I have one quick hint - Your keywords are in English, but your About Me section is in Portuguese. If someone searches in English and finds you based on your keywords, they will get to your Profile and (potentially) not be able to read it.

Also, it is not credible to say that you are 18 and have 10 years of translation experience! You may have studied English for 10 years, but that is not equal to translation experience.

[Edited at 2012-04-26 00:31 GMT]

Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Professional? Apr 26, 2012

I wonder how you expect to offer a professional translation given that you do not have neither experience nor training in translation, you have simply studied a second language in school.
Translation is more than just knowing a second language; you need to have a very high knowledge on the subject you are translating and the skills to solve any issues that might arise during your work.
Sure, you could start doing some volunteering for NGOs and ask them to give you feedback to learn where you need to improve your skills.

Another issue with your profile is that you say you just started studying dentistry, which leads to think that you are only looking for translation jobs to get some "easy" money, in this case, you should really consider if you would go to a dentist who was studying translation but wanted to get some money by working as a dentist, I know I wouldn't.

Maybe you could consider working as a tutor for highschool students, teaching science subjects or even English if you have such a good knowledge of it.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:00
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Are you ready? Apr 26, 2012

Hi Caio,
Caio Colombini wrote:
don't know how to make my profile looks like "wow, I just need him working for me" and my CV too.

Welcome to ProZ.com. I see you are a paying member and so you can make full use of the site's facilities. The site already has many ways to help you. There is a free webinar about making your profile as attractive to clients as possible and there are many helpful articles. Look under the "About" tab for the Site Guidance Centre and/or under "Education" for webinars and other training, the translation industry wiki (I know there's a wiki article on CVs) and articles. Also, the "Getting Established" forum is full of similar discussions.

To address your specific situation, you say that you want your clients to say "wow, I just need him working for me". Well, what do you think would make him say that? Certainly, both your CV and your profile can be presented in such a way as to maximise all the plus points and minimise the minus points, without in any way lying. But there needs to be some basis of fact.
I've never worked as a translator
I also never worked actually, I'm 18, student of dentistry

So, you have no actual experience of translating and no translation training. What DO you have to make you believe you have the ability to be a translator?

I have 10 years of experience with english (particular classes).

That's good. Every young person throughout the world needs English skills nowadays and that skill could open many doors for you in your professional life. However, it doesn't mean you speak English perfectly, or even anywhere near it, and that means you cannot possibly demand payment for translations into English. Neither does it have anything to do with translation certification. Learning a second language is one thing (an essential one for a translator); learning how to translate is another. Not every person who speaks two or more languages can be a successful professional translator and even if you have the innate ability you need to learn the techniques.

I read some topics here where some people talked about doing some jobs for free on the beginning, but I don't think it's a good idea

I agree with you, Caio. It's a bad thing for the industry when people work free for commercial clients. Of course, you could work pro bono for NGOs or you could offer to translate interesting blogs etc.

I know some of the above sounds negative, but it's the truth. What you have told us so far doesn't look good on your profile or your CV. On the other hand, there may be interesting things you haven't told us. And if you don't have anything now, well you're 18 and you have plenty of time to learn to become a translator.

Good luck!

Sheila

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:00
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sell yourself better Apr 26, 2012

Caio Colombini wrote:
I want you to take a look at my profile and my CV (you can get it at my profile) and give me some tips, like what can I put on it if I never had any experience with translation, and I also want you to tell me what do you think about this "idea" of doing some jobs for free, and finally I want you to help me with my rates as a beginner.

First, your profile photo creates the impression that you're very young and possibly a student. Get a photo with a more sober background and put on some professional-looking clothes. Try to make your lips less pink.

Second, I agree that your profile page on ProZ.com should be in English at least (but it can be bilingual).

Third, your CV is too short and does not sell you. There is a difference between a CV written for job applications and a CV written for freelance work, and you need a CV that will sell yourself. I don't think marital status is important to mention, and neither is your age.

If you have no experience, then simply side-step the issue by having a "skills" section instead of an "experience" section.

Also, if you feel that your education is relevant, tell the user a bit more about it. Don't expect users to google for something that they don't understand -- rather tell them right there in the CV. For example, I have no idea what "CCAA" and "Wizard Idiomas" means.

What I would add to the CV is your full contact details (and use international phone format), and more detailed explanation of what CAT tools or programs you have. Also, your ProZ.com membership should be listed, as well as membership to any other translation-related associations.

Finally, the English in your CV isn't very good... sorry.

Heidi Nyberg  Identity Verified

Local time: 21:00
English to Swedish
+ ...
What do you have to offer? Apr 26, 2012

I agree with all of the points made so far. The most important thing you need to ask yourself is what you have to offer potential clients and the translation industry. Without translation training/education and with no experience in any other field, I suspect the answer to that would be 'not much'. I don't mean to be rude and put you down, I'm just trying to bring you the client's perspective.

You also need to ask yourself why you want to be a translator. Do you have a passion for languages? Is it something that you want to do in the future, or is it just a temporary solution for making some money?

And if you decide to venture into the translation business, I suggest you translate only into your native language.

I wish you all the best!

Heidi

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
not so easy Apr 26, 2012

> First, your profile photo creates the impression that you're very young
Sure, a b/w murky pic after a funeral processing would make your prospect clients stun for hours in awe and forget about your somber age, nonetheless it doesn't mean a thing because marital status and your your age are NOT important even to mention--let your to-be clients play the funny guess game! But IMO the more prospect clients have to guess and make sure, the less is one's chance to be the right person for the job...

> Second, I agree that your profile page on ProZ.com should be in English at least (but it can be bilingual).
Agree, it really should offer the relevant information in all your working language pairs.

> Third, your CV is too short and does not sell you.
In fact, the potential client simply has no time to dwell upon your detailed curriculum vitae, because all he really needs more is the proofs with exact numbers and names--more specifics.

> the English in your CV isn't very good
Sure, because perfection has no limits, but instead of copycating those exquisitely-professional active words and 'experienced' phrases along the ww-brands, you'd rather concentrate not on your 'skills', the CV and so on, but the benefits you could provide compared to others.

Cheers)

Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:00
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Into Portuguese Apr 26, 2012

You can increase your credibility by translating only into your native language . Someday you may achieve native-equivalent or near-native proficiency in English, but you're not there yet.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make a good profile and a great CV

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search