Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
My profile visited by a single not logged in visitor 10 times within 24 hours
Thread poster: inesec
inesec  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Nov 14, 2014

The visitor is from Estonia and I have never had any business with him/her (according to the IP address). I am not scared but, nevertheless, have a bad feeling about this. Dear colleagues, have you ever experienced something like this and what it could mean?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 07:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
A search engine? Nov 14, 2014

It's highly unlikely that any human is involved. Check your Settings, I think you can filter them out?

Direct link Reply with quote
 
inesec  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Of course, I can filter them out Nov 14, 2014

DLyons wrote:

It's highly unlikely that any human is involved. Check your Settings, I think you can filter them out?


but within the half-year of my ProZ membership this is the first occurrence. I can't figure out the goal of such behaviour.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:50
English to Polish
+ ...
Can be just about anything Nov 14, 2014

... including an erratic and undecided agency worker with a hands-on approach who likes to have the profiles before his eyes when making decisions. This said, ten times is quite a lot even in that sort of scenario.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 07:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
There is no goal. Nov 14, 2014

It's a 'bot blindly searching everyone. It won't bring you any work, but it doesn't do any harm either.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
inesec  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you for calming me down Nov 14, 2014

DLyons wrote:

It's a 'bot blindly searching everyone. It won't bring you any work, but it doesn't do any harm either.


From your lips to God's ears because I have no desire to become a victim of identity theft


Direct link Reply with quote
 
inesec  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it's a lot Nov 14, 2014

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:

... including an erratic and undecided agency worker with a hands-on approach who likes to have the profiles before his eyes when making decisions. This said, ten times is quite a lot even in that sort of scenario.

Moreover, my rates are clearly defined in my profile and, as far as I know, no Estonian (or Latvian, or Lithuanian for that matter) agency is willing to pay 12.50 EUR per page or 0.05 EUR per word or more, that's why I never ever want to work with any of them.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxtietzes
Japanese to German
+ ...
identity theft Nov 14, 2014

Identity theft doesn't require ten clicks on your profile. One click suffices.

You have a public profile and you can't do anything against peoples' viewing your profile, as long as you have one. Maybe someone just liked it or found it especially interesting. It might be an aspiring translator as well who wants to learn about the translation business. I used to do this, too (not your profile, mind you).

I never check the visitors of my profile. I actually don't care at all.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
inesec  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
danke schön Nov 14, 2014

tietzes wrote:



I never check the visitors of my profile. I actually don't care at all.


If I were you, I couldn't care less, too. Unfortunately, I am not in your shoes and, therefore, your instructions are highly appreciated but not practically usable.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Anastasiya Kharytonova
China
Local time: 14:50
English to Russian
+ ...
Same situation Nov 14, 2014

Maija Cirule wrote:

The visitor is from Estonia and I have never had any business with him/her (according to the IP address). I am not scared but, nevertheless, have a bad feeling about this. Dear colleagues, have you ever experienced something like this and what it could mean?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.



Hello Maija,

Same visitor had visited my profile for ten times today. Have no idea what it means. Maybe it is better to adjust google search settings to make sure such things wo't happen again.

Cheers,
Anastasiya


Direct link Reply with quote
 
inesec  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what is a bot Nov 15, 2014

Anastasiya Kharytonova wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

The visitor is from Estonia and I have never had any business with him/her (according to the IP address). I am not scared but, nevertheless, have a bad feeling about this. Dear colleagues, have you ever experienced something like this and what it could mean?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.



Hello Maija,

Same visitor had visited my profile for ten times today. Have no idea what it means. Maybe it is better to adjust google search settings to make sure such things wo't happen again.

Cheers,
Anastasiya

Hi Anastasiya,

In Techopedia, I found the following explanation: Malicious bots are typically blended threats that come as part virus/worm, part bot and are used in an identity theft...
I don't know if these 10 visits are robot activities or what but I definitely don't like them. By the way, as far as I understand, search engine activities in a profile are counted separately ... In short, a messy encounter. I shall filter this IP address out and see what happens. Meanwhile, I shall Google my name more often to see if some "translator" with the same or similar name has appeared ...

[Edited at 2014-11-15 09:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-11-15 16:48 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
A bot Nov 15, 2014

Bots, spiders, and web crawlers are the most common names that I know. They are programs that "read" the internet and populate search results - that is how Google knows what's on a website and then decides to show it to you in your search results.

They are typically harmless and can even be good if you're trying to rank high in a certain search engine, depending on who made the bot.

I'm not sure who it could be in Estonia, the IP address search results could be giving you information from an area much larger than it would appear. Mine says that I'm in St. Louis, Missouri (USA), but it's a 45 minutes drive to St. Louis from where I live.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:50
French to German
+ ...
Same with me Nov 15, 2014

I would not worry about that. It happens to me every day as well!...

Direct link Reply with quote
 
inesec  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why 10 times in a row Nov 15, 2014

Triston Goodwin wrote:

Bots, spiders, and web crawlers are the most common names that I know. They are programs that "read" the internet and populate search results - that is how Google knows what's on a website and then decides to show it to you in your search results.

They are typically harmless and can even be good if you're trying to rank high in a certain search engine, depending on who made the bot.

I'm not sure who it could be in Estonia, the IP address search results could be giving you information from an area much larger than it would appear. Mine says that I'm in St. Louis, Missouri (USA), but it's a 45 minutes drive to St. Louis from where I live.


If this is a robot/crawler, etc., I wonder why nothing like this has ever happened before?


Direct link Reply with quote
 
inesec  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Better safe than sorry Nov 15, 2014

Andrea Halbritter wrote:

I would not worry about that. It happens to me every day as well!...


Maybe there is no need to worry, nonetheless I don't like this experience.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My profile visited by a single not logged in visitor 10 times within 24 hours

Advanced search






Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search