How to enter outsourcer into Blue Board without website URL
Thread poster: Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 04:47
English to Thai
+ ...
Mar 25, 2016

I decide to post this issue since I expect to post about Blue Board to protect translators from bad manners of the project manager. (My Proz search did not hit similar previous forum postings)
I failed to make the entry of a new outsourcer into Blue Board without website URL who is not a prozian. The system rejected my entry by saying that the outsourcer website URL was in valid. Yes, it was. But its postal address and email address are clear.
I wrote on the Site Support Request with
... See more
I decide to post this issue since I expect to post about Blue Board to protect translators from bad manners of the project manager. (My Proz search did not hit similar previous forum postings)
I failed to make the entry of a new outsourcer into Blue Board without website URL who is not a prozian. The system rejected my entry by saying that the outsourcer website URL was in valid. Yes, it was. But its postal address and email address are clear.
I wrote on the Site Support Request with evidence of my failure (a screenshot of the data entry page) and a Proz staff replied the Ticket by saying "Please enter correct web address details." I wrote again, got another replied and the Ticket was closed without any helpful explanation.

In previous events, some users and I could enter the details of new outsourcers with assistance of Proz staff. Could anyone tell why such the service is no longer available.
In fact, a number of translation agencies have no valid web addresses or intends to hide their access through websites. I expect that Proz.com could protect translators better.

Any explanations are highly appreciated.

Soonthon L.
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:47
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Create the Blue Board record without the URL Mar 25, 2016

You do not need to include a URL to have the new Blue Board record approved. But ... since you say the URL was invalid, it would be helpful if you would provide that URL, along with an explanation that it is invalid, to Site staff so they check further.

Thailand
English to Thai
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will try the Blue Board again Mar 25, 2016

Yolanda Broad wrote:

You do not need to include a URL to have the new Blue Board record approved. But ... since you say the URL was invalid, it would be helpful if you would provide that URL, along with an explanation that it is invalid, to Site staff so they check further.

Thanks Yolanda. I will try with the Blue Board entry again.
In case I still fail to enter the data, I will contact the support staff again to see they will be convinced to protect translators out of manners of the project manager or not.

Soonthon L.

Thailand
English to Thai
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another trial May 7, 2016

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

Yolanda Broad wrote:

Thanks Yolanda. I will try with the Blue Board entry again.
In case I still fail to enter the data, I will contact the support staff again to see they will be convinced to protect translators out of manners of the project manager or not.

Soonthon L.

It is unfortunately, another trial of me was also rejected "xxx Translation Service" was rejected for the following reason: Other (describe below) (Inconsistent contact details.).

Soonthon L.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:47
English to Italian
Question May 7, 2016

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

It is unfortunately, another trial of me was also rejected "xxx Translation Service" was rejected for the following reason: Other (describe below) (Inconsistent contact details.).

Soonthon L.

If you have their email address, can't you use that as the URL? Obviously this only works if they're using a proprietary domain (but that should be a given with an agency...). E.g. If you've been corresponding with "[email protected]", then "(www.)COMPANY.com" is their website address...

At any rate, more in general, I agree: why can't a BB entry be created if a client doesn't have a website? It would be nice to get a reply from the ProZ staff...

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:47
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'm pretty sure you don't need a website May 7, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:
why can't a BB entry be created if a client doesn't have a website?

I'm not 100% sure but I really think I added a company once that didn't have a website (that I knew of). I seem to remember the form asking for as much information as possible - that's all. However, giving a link to a website that doesn't seem to belong to the company based at the postal address is a bit different from not giving a URL at all, I would say. If there seems to be confusion about the identity of the company, staff can't really put up the details on-line for reviews to be posted, can they? They'd be risking all sorts of problems from companies posters have never worked with.

Sorry Yolanda, I forgot you'd already said that.

[Edited at 2016-05-07 12:05 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:47
English to Italian
I thought... May 7, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:
why can't a BB entry be created if a client doesn't have a website?

I'm not 100% sure but I really think I added a company once that didn't have a website (that I knew of). I seem to remember the form asking for as much information as possible - that's all. However, giving a link to a website that doesn't seem to belong to the company based at the postal address is a bit different from not giving a URL at all, I would say. If there seems to be confusion about the identity of the company, staff can't really put up the details on-line for reviews to be posted, can they? They'd be risking all sorts of problems from companies posters have never worked with.

Sorry Yolanda, I forgot you'd already said that.

[Edited at 2016-05-07 12:05 GMT]

I thought that (not entering any URL) was what Soonthon tried to do the second time around, since he answered to Yolanda, who advised him to do just that, but maybe I got that wrong...

Also, by "invalid" I thought he may have entered something like "N/A" in the URL field, or some other non working URL, not someone else's address (which would obviously be a different kettle of fish).

Thailand
English to Thai
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is a case in China May 7, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

I thought that (not entering any URL) was what Soonthon tried to do the second time around, since he answered to Yolanda, who advised him to do just that, but maybe I got that wrong...

Also, by "invalid" I thought he may have entered something like "N/A" in the URL field, or some other non working URL, not someone else's address (which would obviously be a different kettle of fish).

Thanks to both Sheila and Mirko. The objective of me for this post is to enter for cautions against a non-paying translation agency. What I have done were searching for the exact email server location, domain location, IP address, actual business name (a bit different from name notified to me), actual contact person name, actual/all email addresses used in its business etc. Since the agency is in China, a varied method of search was required.

Anyhow, when Proz.com resists negative entry for an outsourcer, I find another effective method to warn against such non-paying agency for benefits of universal Internet based freelance translators.
Of course, this case is not a scam but a translation job fraud against payment for service (it is no easy for translators to treat).

Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to enter outsourcer into Blue Board without website URL

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »