Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
"Contact info hidden" on job postings - am I the only one concerned here?
Thread poster: Marcelo Silveyra

Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 01:29
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Mar 27, 2008

I have to admit that if this option was previously available, I either totally missed it or nobody was using it. Is it me, or is this option more than just slightly scary in an area that, IMO, is in dire need of transparency (too...many....knowledge management...translations)?

 

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:29
French to English
You missed the announcement Mar 27, 2008

Henry D. announced this change about a week ago

 

Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 01:29
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ah... Mar 27, 2008

That would mean that I totally missed it. Time to check the forum archives...

 

Assia Terpecheva  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
It is not just you!!!! Mar 27, 2008

Marcelo Silveyra wrote:

I have to admit that if this option was previously available, I either totally missed it or nobody was using it. Is it me, or is this option more than just slightly scary in an area that, IMO, is in dire need of transparency (too...many....knowledge management...translations)?



Announced or not, I think we should see the contact details...


 

Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 01:29
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Never mind Mar 27, 2008

I just read Henry's post and it makes perfects sense. If you don't meet the requirements for quoting on a job, you don't get to see the contact info. No objections here.

 

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:29
English to German
+ ...
Henry's announcement Mar 27, 2008

...is here:
www.proz.com/topic/99952


 

Assia Terpecheva  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Suggestion Mar 27, 2008

What about "quick poll" regarding this issue or any other important changes?
Just an idea.


 

Michael Deliso  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:29
Italian to English
+ ...
"Contact info hidden" on job postings - am I the only one concerned here? Mar 27, 2008

I second the motion by Assia,
While it is a good idea in itself it also prevents (at least the paying members) to have a contact mail for the outsourcer for future marketing approaches or to submit candidacy for future jobs.
What's the difference between hidden info for non-paying members and paying members when the non paying members can at least see the name and contact info of the outsourcer for future references after 12 or 24 hours!! Just my view... It’s juts a bit one sided...is this or not a community?


 

Brandis (X)
Local time: 10:29
English to German
+ ...
That is a true shot in the eye... Mar 27, 2008

Michael Deliso wrote:

I second the motion by Assia,
While it is a good idea in itself it also prevents (at least the paying members) to have a contact mail for the outsourcer for future marketing approaches or to submit candidacy for future jobs.
What's the difference between hidden info for non-paying members and paying members when the non paying members can at least see the name and contact info of the outsourcer for future references after 12 or 24 hours!! Just my view... It’s juts a bit one sided...is this or not a community?
I do not appreciate this hidden business. This due to a million reasons. It is a freelancer site and one should have the freedom to contact a potential outsourcer, may be not immediately but at a future date there may be a project for me, but this hidden and pre-filtering technique implemented does make me feel like a pegion and I do not relly feel so free like a free lancer, instead like a caged bird, with all those muscled moderators perpetually controlling me and my postings, this is added fuel to damage a good going scene. Brandis


 

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:29
English to French
+ ...
One less business tool for freelancers to use Mar 27, 2008

Michael Deliso wrote:

also prevents (at least the paying members) to have a contact mail for the outsourcer for future marketing approaches or to submit candidacy for future jobs.

[/quote]

That is what my preoccupation was when I saw the announcement. I don't think ProZ is not aware that site users also use the data in job postings to prospect, not just to apply for jobs. I have tried to use the directory to build a list of potential clients - it was a total failure. For one thing, the directory is not searchable. For example, I cannot display agencies/outsourcers in the country of my choice by BB rating. So, because I could not search the directory, I found another approach - I watch jobs being posted, and when I see a job that looks like it comes from a potentiel client I would be happy to work with, but the job in itself is not for me (not my language pair or specialization, etc.), I look at their past posted jobs to see if they ever post jobs that correspond to the services I offer. If they do, I check the rates they display in their postings to see if it more or less matches what I would charge for that type of work. If it does, then I bookmark their profile to add them to my prospecting list. With these new changes to job postings, I can't do this anymore either. So, ProZ is not giving me any opportunity at all to meet new clients, whereas that is what this place is supposedly all about. I might as well not renew my membership and become a basic, free user to only participate in the forum, because this site is losing my interest pretty fast. I don't want to sound rude, but this is the case.

Bottom line: the BB is not doing its job because it is becoming disturbingly unreliable (and maintained in a questionable manner, if we think of all the non-payers who have not been banned from the site), KudoZ has been very unreliable for a long time now, and there is no way to prospect anymore either. All that is left is the forum - and even at that, many people are not allowed to say what they really think (edit: one of my posts just mysteriously disappeared not long after I posted this). I don't visit this site to just chat up some people, you know? This is business for me, and ProZ is starting to not offer me anything businesswise...

Can the directory at least be made searchable? Can somebody please do something about this? I am really starting to lose interest here...

[Edited at 2008-03-27 19:29]


 

Brandis (X)
Local time: 10:29
English to German
+ ...
my posting has been just now removed.. Mar 27, 2008

without reasoning. Here it is
http://www.proz.com/topic/100739. I have taken a screen shot of the same. I does not make me happy at all that my postings are perpetually moved or removed and I do not visit this site due to ignorance or fun, but some part of it must be I still prognosticize that this site or we are all getting somewhat stiff. Brandis


 

Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:29
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
There was a sound reason Mar 27, 2008

Brandis wrote:

my posting has been just now removed without reasoning. Here it is
http://www.proz.com/topic/100739. I have taken a screen shot of the same. I does not make me happy at all that my postings are perpetually moved or removed and I do not visit this site due to ignorance or fun, but some part of it must be I still prognosticize that this site or we are all getting somewhat stiff. Brandis


Dear Brandis,

Your post was removed by a site moderator because it was not in line with site rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8

Regards,
Enrique


 

Brandis (X)
Local time: 10:29
English to German
+ ...
well well. Mar 27, 2008

Enrique wrote:

Brandis wrote:

my posting has been just now removed without reasoning. Here it is
http://www.proz.com/topic/100739. I have taken a screen shot of the same. I does not make me happy at all that my postings are perpetually moved or removed and I do not visit this site due to ignorance or fun, but some part of it must be I still prognosticize that this site or we are all getting somewhat stiff. Brandis


Dear Brandis,

Your post was removed by a site moderator because it was not in line with site rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8

Regards,
Enrique
It has very well to do with any freelance ship that has been agreed upon paid membership. That you people constantly putup new rules is none of my business, I have not done anything criminal act, lest you may push me to support. which rules were they. The agreement I had was to have access and transperancy to all kinds of information this site can provide to a paid member and nothing in between bracketed and filtered stuff. That agreement it was not. There was never a claus that specifies any changes that may indulge and or deviate my personal intersts in this site may be also included in the paid membership. Brandis

[Edited at 2008-03-27 20:10]

[Edited at 2008-03-27 20:23]


 

Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:29
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
This is not a new rule Mar 27, 2008

Brandis wrote:
Enrique wrote:

Your post was removed by a site moderator because it was not in line with site rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8
It has very well to do with any freelance ship that has been agreed upon paid membership. That you people constantly putup new rules is none of my business, I have not done anything criminal act, lest you may push me to support. which rules were they.



Rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8 was announced in its current form in May 2006.


 

Brandis (X)
Local time: 10:29
English to German
+ ...
either way I had purchased this membership. Mar 27, 2008

Enrique wrote:

Brandis wrote:
Enrique wrote:

Your post was removed by a site moderator because it was not in line with site rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8
It has very well to do with any freelance ship that has been agreed upon paid membership. That you people constantly putup new rules is none of my business, I have not done anything criminal act, lest you may push me to support. which rules were they.



Rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/8#8 was announced in its current form in May 2006.
believing that screen that tells how much freedom a paid member has, Till today it does not say anything about limitations or any sort. I took my membership only under this condition in 2003 and it had continued till you changed the rules here and there a little bit and I feel crowded. What are you going to do about it? Brandis


 
Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Contact info hidden" on job postings - am I the only one concerned here?

Advanced search






SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search